Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Ghost Festival is an Angel Cartel loyalist corporation? Read more here

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Somewhat Goodbyes  (Read 4969 times)

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
Somewhat Goodbyes
« on: 30 Mar 2014, 12:00 »

Hello everyone. My name is Mark, and I have an addiction.

I am addicted to online roleplaying.

Past five or so years I've been stuck in poverty with nowhere to go and nothing to do and no hope to change it. The only reason I've tolerated the emotionally unhealthy places I've frequented such as Second Life, EVE Online, and others was because I had nothing else and nowhere else to do or go with my time. I was stuck talking to people like you (no offense), because I had no better choices. It was a coping mechanism for a failed life that constantly tested my will to keep living it. More than once, EVE Online and the people in it were part of the only immediate things keeping me from literally committing suicide because I hated myself and my life, I wanted to be Katrina. Everything flawed about my roleplay and her character is because of MY flaws, as many of you already understand. Not surprisingly, when someone likes me uses RP as an escape from an unfulfilled RL, bleedover is rampant and unavoidable. Despite the knowledge that I like most of you, that I'm okay with the rest of you... when Katrina argues and is attacked, my emotional reactions spring up because I'm trying to live in her shoes.

Tomorrow I start paid training for a new career. A $42,000 a year career, with overtime, benefits, union representation. The whole nine yards. Starting tomorrow morning, I will finally have given myself the ability and reason to enjoy my life. Starting tomorrow, I won't need to rely so heavily on EVE

Starting tomorrow, I will seriously consider taking a hopefully permanent step back from MMO addiction. Part of that may be leaving this RP community. Because, this is unhealthy in large and constant doses. This 'community', the game, the MMO addiction, my immersion in a life that isn't my own. It's burying me, because I have an addiction problem and I was trying to escape something I should have faced long ago. My own life. My real life.

I may not leave though, because when working 40-65 hours a week I won't be around much to be so sick of you all. So when I do see you, maybe it will be good times! Distance makes the heart grow fonder, etc.

For all the OOC conflict and IC conflict I've caused, I apologize. For all the issues people have had with me, I will try to work on them and improve. For all those who honestly cared about me (you know who you are), thank you so very much for your support and patience. I will try to be better, and live better, and learn to respect and love myself the way I should have so long ago. Maybe money doesn't buy happiness, but not having any sure doesn't help.

A special apology and thanks to True Slaves Foundations and Pyre Falcon Defence Combine who have unreasonably been the victim of many a conflict with me. It doesn't count for much, but at least you understand why it's been happening and that I do regret it every time it does.

Before anyone asks, no you can't have my stuff! I'm not quitting EVE. I'm just going to try being a happy adult. I'm going to try dating again, and travelling, and working until I pass out in bed at the end of a long day on the job. I'm going to save for retirement, and treat my children to important experiences. I'm going to make friends in real life that I can share an actual beer with.

... and some day soon? I'm going to try to make it to fanfest. Hopefully, when you all finally meet me, I'll be someone I can feel proud to introduce.

Wish me luck, Backstage.

Steffanie Saissore

• Knight Commander (in training)
  • Omelette
  • Lawful Good Pirate
    • Ebon Rose Forum
Re: Somewhat Goodbyes
« Reply #1 on: 30 Mar 2014, 12:08 »

hugs
"And if the music stops, there's only the sound of the rain.  All the hope and glory, all the sacrifice in vain.  And if love remains though everything is lost, we will pay the price, but we will not count the cost."

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
  • Shes mad but shes magic, theres no lie in her fire
« Reply #2 on: 30 Mar 2014, 12:13 »

Many many hugs and kisses.

Good luck KatKat :)

"Eve roleplayers scare me." - The Mittani

Ava Starfire

• Queen of Hashbrowns
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #3 on: 30 Mar 2014, 12:14 »

I will miss you, and i get the feelings. I'm there right now, and have been for years. EVE is the only "life" i have.

I'm glad you got an out.

Scherezad

• Clonejack
« Reply #4 on: 30 Mar 2014, 12:19 »

I know you're going to do well, and you're going to be much happier. And that's what counts! I'm happy for you :) I know it's tough, but this is the right choice for you, it sounds.

On, to better things. No regrets. I'm looking forward to hearing how it's turning out from you if you slide in-game from time to time, or elsewise.

<3

Makoto Priano

« Reply #5 on: 30 Mar 2014, 12:39 »

Hi, Mark! I'm Evan. Totally got you on gaming addiction. Frig.  :oops:

As the line goes, it's the duty of every prisoner to escape-- which goes both to your life before, and your life after. Best of luck and best of wishes with your new job! And I know I'm saying the obvious, something you likely already know, but: no path is smooth and level. There will always be trials. You're bright and newly-motivated, though, so I've no doubt you'll overcome.

'The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong at the broken places,' as another line goes. And yes, that's a partial quote; but I prefer to leave it there. ;)

Also, re: TC-F and PYRE. I think it's a lot more complicated than that? But that's not something for this thread.

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #6 on: 30 Mar 2014, 12:39 »

all the best, Katrina :)
\o/

Jace

• Veteran
« Reply #7 on: 30 Mar 2014, 12:48 »

Best of luck.  :cube:

Lyn Farel

« Reply #8 on: 30 Mar 2014, 12:51 »

Best wishes.  :)

I couldnt myself work 65h per week even if I wanted to, as I would just break, so kuddos for being able to deal with that as a bonus...

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #9 on: 30 Mar 2014, 12:52 »

Hurrah for RL improving!

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #10 on: 30 Mar 2014, 12:58 »

Best wishes.  :)

I couldnt myself work 65h per week even if I wanted to, as I would just break, so kuddos for being able to deal with that as a bonus...

The overtime I'd be getting would be a HUGE financial boon for me, so I'll definitely work that. I've spent the first decade of my adulthood not working enough. I think I'd like to catch up. :D

Thanks for all the support, folks. I've got a solid 11 weeks of heavy training to go through and another 6 months probationary employment. Standard fare from what I hear for any good career track. It's gonna be rough!
« Last Edit: 30 Mar 2014, 13:15 by Katrina Oniseki »

Rin Kaelestria

• Egger
  • The fluffly Rinyan!
« Reply #11 on: 30 Mar 2014, 13:22 »

Mark, you and I never really talked much in or out of character, so I have no issues  with you or your character. Saddly, that means you and I never really got to know each other, either.  :(

Regardless of that, I'm glad to hear that things are looking up for you, from actually being able to spend time with your little girls to now this new career. I hope for the best for you on this path of your life. Take care, and drop in to say hi from time to time when you can.  :)

Norrin Ellis

• Manager, EVE Online Hold'Em
  • Wetgraver
    • EVE Online Hold'Em
« Reply #12 on: 30 Mar 2014, 13:56 »

Best of luck to you!

I trust you will still send the occasional random amusement via Steam.

Desiderya

« Reply #13 on: 30 Mar 2014, 14:01 »

I wish you good luck and above all success with this new part of your life.

It's the duty of every prisoner to escape.
Quite a good line. :)

Bayushi Tamago

• Lady of Many Faces
  • Clonejack
    • Threaded Pixels
« Reply #14 on: 30 Mar 2014, 14:23 »

*Much hugs*
Glad to hear things are looking up for you.
I know how you feel since I play eve to help battle depression myself :)
Pages: [1] 2 3