Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

a lone miner was detained and executed on 29.11YC105 for "suspicious curiosity" after asking passing Imperial Fleet ships "where they were going with all those guns".

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 14

Author Topic: The New Portraits  (Read 26505 times)

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
Re: The New Portraits
« Reply #105 on: 08 Oct 2010, 10:53 »

Do you honestly think that CCP would release a product with five or six simple color backgrounds, and not refine everything I hear complaints about?

Yes. :P

They'd describe it as a foundation to be built on, or a pre-nerfed feature to be revisited in the near future. Then they'd switch their attention to other stuff for the next 5 years. Then, in 2015, there would be a blog post describing how character portraits were a bit crap and they intend to rebuild the system from scratch.

I'm still bitter about POS and level 4 agents tbh...

(And yeah, tongue is firmly in cheek here, but it's not like CCP don't have previous. In spades. There's still stuff unfixed from when the game launched.)

This.

in its entirety.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #106 on: 08 Oct 2010, 11:01 »

http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu328/Seriphyn/Allbloodlines.jpg?t=1286557074

All of them right there as pure defaults (except changed from blue eyes on certain bloodlines for realism)

Adding skin tone ranges for each bloodline would increase diversity. Women also have huge foreheads, which sticks out when adding fringeless hairstyles.

Moreover, just like IRL, you can't pick out a German from a Russian really. You could do from skin tone, so I'm hoping that will help with differentriation, and maybe restricting hair colours to bloodline.

It is unclear how similar they will be given that you can customize them pretty freely. Might be able to get an Amarr to look like a Ni-Kunni for example.
« Last Edit: 08 Oct 2010, 11:38 by Seriphyn »

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #107 on: 08 Oct 2010, 11:05 »

Hm. I'm going to assume for now that these are all a single "vanilla" face with ethnic traits added.

Edit:

Also, looking at that spread really brings home how badly Eve needs more dark-skinned people.

What's more, looking at it with me, my wife twigged on to the race-fail that is the Brutor. (You know-- the one we all notice sooner or later where they call the only African-featured race by a name derived from "brute.")

Sometimes I think CCP suffers from a severe case of "we live on an island overwhelmingly occupied by pale-skinned people with a population smaller than that of our game and get all our news on black people from the American media" -itis.
« Last Edit: 08 Oct 2010, 11:34 by Aria Jenneth »

Seriphyn

• Demigod
« Reply #108 on: 08 Oct 2010, 11:33 »

Some things are locked like...

- Nose height/size/depth/position
- Brow height/position/depth
- Mouth depth
- Eye depth
- Ear size/position (mostly)
- Head shape
- Cheek height
- Jaw height

(thanks to Windle Poons for that)

[17:31:05] Windle Poons > basically you can move sod all but the skin

But it be the skin tone that adds flavour I bet. Also, compare the thin lips of the Deteis in the gallery to the full lips of my Kiam Arreiz

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #109 on: 08 Oct 2010, 12:10 »

What's more, looking at it with me, my wife twigged on to the race-fail that is the Brutor. (You know-- the one we all notice sooner or later where they call the only African-featured race by a name derived from "brute.")

I generally agree with your points on ethnic diversity and CCP, but I'd like to note once more that the unfortunately-named Brutors were largely based on the Maori, not Africans. Sure, there's a problem there, it's just not the one most people imagine.

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #110 on: 08 Oct 2010, 12:11 »

If there aren't all that many more options, here is what I will be looking like, i think.

\o/

Milo Caman

• Guerilla Gardener
  • Pod Captain
    • Out of Sinq
« Reply #111 on: 08 Oct 2010, 12:47 »

Been playing around with it a bit. Low framerate issues can be addressed by disabling shadows and forcing V-Sync.

Is it just me, or are the male characters locked to Blonde hair only?

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #112 on: 08 Oct 2010, 12:50 »

Been playing around with it a bit. Low framerate issues can be addressed by disabling shadows and forcing V-Sync.

Awesome, thanks for the tip! Can't wait to get home and give that a shot. :)

If this works, can I join your fan club?

Seriphyn

• Demigod
« Reply #113 on: 08 Oct 2010, 13:00 »

Edit:

Also, looking at that spread really brings home how badly Eve needs more dark-skinned people.

Sometimes I think CCP suffers from a severe case of "we live on an island overwhelmingly occupied by pale-skinned people with a population smaller than that of our game and get all our news on black people from the American media" -itis.

As a darkie myself, yes, it's abysmal, and just plays to the whole "Humanity goes into space" more meaning the Hollywood definition of "White Americans go into space with the token black and Asian person".

You were, however, able to get a full-on dark skin (Brutor shade) Intaki woman, but not for men. So you never know...

Myrhial Arkenath

• Omelette
  • One does not simply walk into Curse.
    • Diary of a Pod Pilot
« Reply #114 on: 08 Oct 2010, 15:36 »

CEO of Ghost Festival :: Executor of Naraka.
Diary of a Pod Pilot

hellgremlin

• Pathological liar, do not believe
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #115 on: 08 Oct 2010, 16:13 »

Whoaaaa, nice fivehead.

Milo Caman

• Guerilla Gardener
  • Pod Captain
    • Out of Sinq
« Reply #116 on: 08 Oct 2010, 16:26 »

http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/3472/20101008162920.jpg
http://img839.imageshack.us/img839/7122/20101008162904.jpg

About 15 minutes of playing with an alt I do some trades/Arpee with. Not started on Milo, because the Gallente Males seem to be locked to blonde hair, and that can't end well >.>

Benjamin Shepherd

« Reply #117 on: 08 Oct 2010, 16:44 »

BTW, everyone get a new gfx card, I see blur fa dayyyss.

Kazzzi

• Egger
« Reply #118 on: 08 Oct 2010, 17:18 »

Underwear color? Is there an option for 'commando'?

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #119 on: 08 Oct 2010, 17:19 »

Hmph. Turning Shader to Low improves frame rates but makes the character look like a dessicated corpse.

Although my card supports SM 3.0, I've suspected for a while that I need an upgrade anyway.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 14