Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

the Battle of Tears, between Minmatar and Ammatar forces in YC102, was one of the highest casualty battles ever fought in New Eden.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9

Author Topic: IC Rogue Drones?  (Read 18295 times)

Crucifire

Re: IC Rogue Drones?
« Reply #45 on: 08 Mar 2011, 03:21 »

Yeah, I enjoyed that encounter tonight, Boma. I was the ewar. ;)

Cmdr Baxter

• "The Old Man"
  • Egger
    • The Synenose Accord
« Reply #46 on: 08 Mar 2011, 22:13 »

I just read the IGS post. Why do I get this BSG (the new series) feeling? Reminded me of the pilot episode where all those Vipers go dead and get wiped out.

Milo Caman

• Guerilla Gardener
  • Pod Captain
    • Out of Sinq
« Reply #47 on: 09 Mar 2011, 05:24 »

Not a huge fan of the rogue drone RP, but some of the bashing that popped up on the '[CI/RDS] AAR Yulai - First Contact' Thread is pretty out of line.  :|

Bataav

• Egger
    • Intaki Liberation Front
« Reply #48 on: 09 Mar 2011, 06:14 »

I just read the IGS post. Why do I get this BSG (the new series) feeling? Reminded me of the pilot episode where all those Vipers go dead and get wiped out.
Not that I want to give them ideas but if these new rogue drones max out on ewar skills this'd be impressive in an IG fleet skirmish.

So long as it's not me that finds my ship suddenly impotent in a fight and looking out at an approaching mass of rockets, missiles and torps...
#FreeIntaki | #IntakiPride

DosTuMai

• Dirty Pirate Bitch
  • Omelette
  • Yarrr~~
    • Ravings of a Lunatic
« Reply #49 on: 09 Mar 2011, 07:27 »

So long as it's not me that finds myself suddenly getting beaten down by a fleet of n00balts and all I can do is sit there and gibber in a quivering jello-like manner.
^Thar, I improveded it.
do { aLittleDance(); make(aLittleLove&); cin.get(down); } while(tonight);
Quote from: Raynman37
Go down to the end, take a left at etc and you should see usr right there in front of you.

Milo Caman

• Guerilla Gardener
  • Pod Captain
    • Out of Sinq
« Reply #50 on: 09 Mar 2011, 07:55 »

So long as it's not me that finds my ship suddenly impotent in a fight and looking out at an approaching mass of rockets, missiles and torps...

Well, it looks like they're coming to Placid, sooooo...  :D

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type
« Reply #51 on: 09 Mar 2011, 09:32 »

I didn't think rogue AI would have the grasp of marketing necessary to mirror our canister ads.

They're learning! D:
An important reminder for Placid RPers

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
It's such a shame the same
Will never happen to you

Punx Evangeline

• Clonejack
« Reply #52 on: 09 Mar 2011, 10:07 »

I didn't think rogue AI would have the grasp of marketing necessary to mirror our canister ads.

They're learning! D:

I guess we have no choice but to bow to our new robot overlords...

Oh wait...  :D

-Punx

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #53 on: 09 Mar 2011, 10:10 »

They're learning! D:

-Punx

but their avatars have no feet. How do I bow to them?
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type
« Reply #54 on: 09 Mar 2011, 10:16 »

I feel like I missed a joke here... <strokes his chin.>
An important reminder for Placid RPers

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
It's such a shame the same
Will never happen to you

DosTuMai

• Dirty Pirate Bitch
  • Omelette
  • Yarrr~~
    • Ravings of a Lunatic
« Reply #55 on: 09 Mar 2011, 10:16 »

They're learning! D:

-Punx

but their avatars have no feet. How do I bow to them?
In binary, trinary and/or speaking liek Robby the robot.
do { aLittleDance(); make(aLittleLove&); cin.get(down); } while(tonight);
Quote from: Raynman37
Go down to the end, take a left at etc and you should see usr right there in front of you.

Punx Evangeline

• Clonejack
« Reply #56 on: 09 Mar 2011, 10:26 »

In binary, trinary and/or speaking liek Robby the robot.

Hexidecimal.

4f 68 20 6e 6f 65 73 21 20 20 49 20 62 65 63 61 6d 65 20 6f 6e 65 20 6f 66 20 74 68 65 6d 21

(( http://home2.paulschou.net/tools/xlate/ ))

-Punx

Cmdr Baxter

• "The Old Man"
  • Egger
    • The Synenose Accord
« Reply #57 on: 09 Mar 2011, 16:00 »

Didn't you ever see the BSG episode where they counter-hacked the Cylons and it turned into a turkey shoot?

Joseph

• Clonejack
« Reply #58 on: 09 Mar 2011, 19:25 »

Hey guys. I'm glad to see such positive response. AI 42 here and I'd like to clarify a few things from the "boss" point of view...

My number one goal, is to bring something fun to EVE that is not "normal" in appearance, stress free as we can make it, drama free as we can keep it, and just overall enjoyable for all parties. I respect the fluff CCP has provided, and there are a few reasons I have taken the direction at present.

Also: We are indeed still finding a "direction" - and I am open to suggestions but I may not take them if they do not work. Our primary goal is to have fun and keep our members happy without making OOC-drama in the RP department.

First to handle some common questions.

Q: Why do you speak/type bold?
A: Empyrean Age - the drones used bold there. I simply mimic this personally. I recommend it to drones.

Q: Why does everyone speak so differently? Why the Bender/HK-47/<insertpopularrobothere> quotes?
A: We welcome anyone. The corp itself is the role-player, not the individual. My only request to people is that they keep any conversation to a reasonably "acceptable" role-play level. Some people only know how to emulate their favorite game/show characters and I can't really fault them for that. If something is off/weird - chuck it up to drone insanity.

Q: How do things like unexploded torpedoes (Unexploded Ordinance), hob goblin 1s, or even humans become a rogue drone?
A: Well, at first I was going to demand a faceless alt with a numerical name. Then I decided that less intelligent machines (limited processing) - still have the ability to network to a ship. In short, stupid computers simply become an outlet for the hive itself. The network is viral in a sense... then people wanted to join with their mains!

Q: How do people work then?
A: So how do I explain the people in our group, eh? It was tough but...we all have implants. No computer hardware is "hack proof." Ever. No amount of rainbows and cherries can "hack proof" anything. Drone AI is super advanced, even if it is insane. Drones are sentient and aware. Some more-so than others, some less-so.

So why can't we just take over New Eden with our uber-hax-networking-AI? Simple, human brains are capable of self decision. I am sure the Jove designed the pods to prevent easy attack... that leaves one "network" method of entry available... willingly exposing yourself to it. A human comes along, "Hey, maybe I need to connect to these guys and see whats up."

Thus it begins. Depending on the human and the hive itself, is how quickly or how totally someone is infected. It could be little whispers in your head...suggestions to do something for us...you may even still be loyal to your current faction - all the while thinking your good ideas are your own...or you could be totally mind-destroyed, having opened yourself to fully to the network right off the bat.

This began with one of our first humans... there is some story to this I don't want to reveal right now, it is still being hammered out...but lets say, this is why this hive suddenly began acting "different."

Q: Why is everyone "unique?"
A: Once you began adding humans and other coded AI into the mix..you get hiccups and personalities developing. This is the easiest way to handle things, it is much harder to make a corp in the hundreds all type the same style, all say the same kinds of phrases, and all act the exact, same way. So yes we are not a "perfect" hive...neither are the rogue drones of CCP. They bicker and fight too. They have their own personalities too.

Q: This or that doesn't fly with predetermined CCP fluff.
A: I respect your feelings, as I myself am fairly heavy stickler on Star Wars RP being certain ways. (Led a revolution against SOE & AXIS [Guild] on my SWG server when they did something not-canon...) However, I would like to point out three things.

1: CCP states the Rogue Drones as ever evolving/changing. Drones began as sentient machines and evolved from there. It is not a stretch to say that we found a way to infect people using preexisting infrastructure.
2: CCP Rogue Drones DO communicate with people, and make alliances/friendships...and show some (as I see it) emotion. Even if it was done with some Terran tech or some such... it still can happen. Check out Empyrean Age for more, albeit not a lot, of Drone-Human interaction.
3: I did ask CCP about what we are doing. Including some pretty drastic things (which includes using human corpses to interface with pods, attacking the Gallente Federation, infesting capsuleers, and the likes). Their response was "Just have fun and use our fiction as guidance." - both of which we are doing.

Q: Are you copying Mass Effect/BSG/Etc.?
A: I have never gotten past the first 5 or so missions of ME1 and the last time I played it was years ago. I had all but forgotten about what the Geth are until a someone said we seem to be a bit Geth-like. I never have watched BSG (heresy I know, my girlfriend plans to correct this soon I think...) - I am faintly aware of the story there, but not really the whole back story.

Honestly? My main source of inspiration comes from real life articles, documentation, and "what if" scenarios that are freely/easily available everywhere. Even if some are "unlikely" - things like a super advanced virus taking over the internet and commandeering the world's technology center COULD happen...and are actively investigated possibilities.

There are people out there trying to prevent the "Skynet scenario." If we go to real life implants like EVE, it is a very real possibility that we could ourselves become hacked. This is one serious problem. Imagine if your pacemaker that uses WiFi to communicate to your doctor...suddenly got hacked by a kid who wants a cheap laugh at your expense...or worse, a virus specifically made to hold everyone hostage?

Real life, is the best inspiration. Every Sci-Fi pulls from real possibilities. Sometimes the stories just get spiced up for entertainment :)

That is my two cents. I will be happy to answer any questions.

Crucifire

« Reply #59 on: 09 Mar 2011, 19:52 »

Sweet, you finally made it to your topic that's already 4 pages long. Good post too.

AI 42 mentioned Unexploded Ordinance and I feel the need to link that drone's bio because yes, it's a character, and a great example of the kind of fun Rogue Drone Systems likes to have with this whole thing.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9