Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The voice of the AI on capsuleer ships was recorded by Excena Foer? Read more here

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10

Author Topic: SWTOR: Will/how will you play?  (Read 17639 times)

Helen Ohmiras

Re: SWTOR: Will/how will you play?
« Reply #60 on: 21 Oct 2011, 20:07 »

Problem is, decisions in a group (you know, the RP part) is randomly assigned to a member of the party each time.

And Light/Dark side decisions are everywhere, even though only one of those decisions will benefit your progression (Repub/light, Sith/Dark).

So, either everyone will pick the same option, or one guy will make the 'wrong' decision and fuck everyone up.
:eek:

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #61 on: 22 Oct 2011, 03:58 »

How does it 'fuck' everyone up? You only get the Dark side points if you CHOOSE the dark side options, not if someone else chose it. Let's say you get the choice of helping or abandoning someone. Two of you choose to help, two of you choose to abandon. The roll goes to abandon. The two who chose abandon gets the Dark side points, the other two doesn't. Same thing applies to 'Light' choices. Only those who chose it gets those points.

This is no different from a loot roll. I have yet to hear someone being 'fucked up' by not winning the loot roll.

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
  • These things just seem to happen...
« Reply #62 on: 22 Oct 2011, 16:19 »

Have you played this game?  :s

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
« Reply #63 on: 22 Oct 2011, 16:51 »

Nope. I'm just asking a guy I know who play it.

If I'm wrong, tell me how and why instead of just running one-liner complaints about the game with no details.

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
« Reply #64 on: 22 Oct 2011, 22:43 »

I think I'm gonna wait for the stick to dissolve.  :|

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
« Reply #65 on: 23 Oct 2011, 02:06 »

Ah, so no real arguments against the game then? I mean, if there were any good ones, I'd have thought it'd actually be easy to explain what's wrong with it. A verbose version of "it sux lol" doesn't really hold much weight, as far as I'm concerned. I'm very open to hearing the bad sides about this game, to the point where I'm craving said negative criticism of it. I want to know these 'bad things' before I play the game and find them myself, but for some unfathomable reason no one actually explains them.

On one side I'm pelted by nothing but praise for the game in excruciating detail, while on the other side I am bludgeoned with cantankerous hate for the game without a single explanation for why. It's mindboggling to see so wildly diverging views for one, but that is almost normal for games these days. What's completely unbelievable is the difference in how the views are provided. One with detailed in-depth exploration of awesomeness and the other with vague 'bleh, sux'.

It's okay! It's perfectly okay not to like the game, guys. Just... you know... tell the rest of us why.

Graelyn

• Ye Olde One
  • Veteran
« Reply #66 on: 23 Oct 2011, 02:54 »

Sure, no real arguements.

You should pay full price. Enjoy.  ;)

Kaleigh Doyle

« Reply #67 on: 23 Oct 2011, 11:48 »

Funny, I think a majority of the commentary in this thread has been about the backstory, which is no surprise given the audience.

I am skeptical of this product, despite some of the great things bioware has created in the past that I had hours of enjoyment from. It looks like a single-player product, amalgamated to be an MMO, and I get the strong impression that there will not be enough content to cover more than a month or two (i'm a bit slow with these things). If I do like the gameplay it will probably be worth one or two replays.  I also like the cooperative multiplayer aspect and the star wars setting, so this certainly is a tempting opportunity.

My biggest 'concern' is the gameplay. Do I have to run treadmills to get appropriate loot? Is the story going to be limited by 'raid' style content? Are the fights going to be as ridiculous as WOW boss fights? Am I going to get 'pooched' relying on pickup groups? These are pretty common concerns I have when dealing with MMOs, which is why I'm waiting to see how people think about it and what their initial responses are before I dive in and get this.

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran
« Reply #68 on: 23 Oct 2011, 13:21 »

EVE has pretty much spoiled me for other MMOs.

Having a corporation that runs a fleet ops smoothly and racks up a decent kill ratio takes a lot more co-ordination than anything I have come across in any of the MMOs I have played.

Guess it is the player base, in EVE people seem to have this strange mentality that they have to suffer to have success and/or fun, instead of just having fun.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Wanoah

• Omelette
  • Sweating spinal fluid
    • Hello!
« Reply #69 on: 25 Oct 2011, 02:37 »

EVE has pretty much spoiled me for other MMOs.

Ditto.

It's the quests. And the shitty AI. Every MMO I have looked at has been entirely dependent on fairly dull quests (they are either outright "Collect x Objects" / "Kill x Critters" / "Fetch x Objects" / "Be a postman in a silly outfit" or that sort of thing with a veneer of story to sweeten the deal). It's just awful. It's like a training wheel for working in a factory, except you probably get better conversation on the production line. Then there's the AI of the bad guys, which is universally dumb as a rock.

Games should be better than this.
Nothing worth saying is inoffensive to everyone

Blog | Fiction

Borza

• Kuru Khai
  • Omelette
  • We come for our people
« Reply #70 on: 26 Oct 2011, 12:06 »

Am looking forward to it, will probably roll a Trooper.
Bioware are always worth giving a chance imo. Whether I'll subscribe after 1-2 months is another issue.

... Soldier tanks, Jedi healers and Sith damage dealers.

Er, pretty sure that is absolutely not the case.

Firstly republic/empire classes are mirrored.
Secondly 3/4 mirrored base classes have tank specs, and 3/4 have healing specs. All have dps options available.

If you're just complaining about the Trinity in general my apologies and I can understand, but that isn't entirely clear.

Arkady Sadik

• Egger
« Reply #71 on: 26 Oct 2011, 13:57 »

... Soldier tanks, Jedi healers and Sith damage dealers.

Er, pretty sure that is absolutely not the case.

Firstly republic/empire classes are mirrored.
Secondly 3/4 mirrored base classes have tank specs, and 3/4 have healing specs. All have dps options available.

If you're just complaining about the Trinity in general my apologies and I can understand, but that isn't entirely clear.

Actually, that's roughly what I saw in one of the preview videos. Either I misunderstood the dev comments, or the preview was quite old (this was months ago). Thanks for the clarification.

My main issue there was that I don't see the "standard trinity" working really well in the SW universe. But then, I'm still bitter that the dancing/music playing ideas from SWG never got adapted in any other MMO :-(

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #72 on: 30 Oct 2011, 18:33 »

Can anyone other than Lyn actually post what makes the game bad?

Otherwise I agree with the notion that making a singleplayer story as an MMO is a bit "wut" to me. Why didn't they just make KOTOR3?

Lyn Farel

« Reply #73 on: 31 Oct 2011, 05:23 »

I have to insist on the fact that what I said on the two factions not seeing each other on 80% of the planets is still unsure, especially as I found someone else that told me otherwise (but I do not think he is on the beta though).

Saikoyu

• Omelette
« Reply #74 on: 31 Oct 2011, 08:00 »

Seri, personally I think the game will at least be okay, as Bioware writes good stories, and I like good stories over a lot of stuff.  However, as someone coming from eve, here is  what I see as possibably "bad" about it.

1.  Its on rails.  They have said that there are branching storylines, but in reality, I don't see how much branching they can do with eight different story lines.  And your character will go from point A to point B or maybe point B, or C, or D, but there is really no room for RPing like there is in EvE.

2.  It looks like this will be a grind fest if only in the sense that you will have to play the game to advance in level, but that's every other MMO besides EvE I think, so no real surprise there.

3.  There have been no real menction of social zones.  I am sure there will be, but it is unlikely there will be much of anything besides talking in them, and it will probably be hard to RP.

4.  Once you join a group, you are at the mercy of the conversation roller.  Yes you will not get dark side point if you chose the light side but the roller choses the dark path, but you still have to go through with the dark side path.  You can't turn on your team, and can't do the right, or wrong thing in spite of them.  I see why they made it that way, but coming from EvE, its a let down.

5.  Space is on rails.  You can not fly freely, all the space combat portions are on rails and you can only move your ship a little bit around on the screen, not change your course. 

So, really, this does come off as a single player game that has multiplayer PvE and PvP parts, if you want to play them.  I'm okay with that, since its fits my pretty casual play stlye right now, but I'm not going to even try and RP with others in this unless something major changes for how things seem now.  That is one of the few things I missed from Galaxies in this.

And about the classes, from everything I have seem, the classes are mirrored, just not exactly.

Trooper and Bounty Hunter are about the same and both can be DPS or Tank, but in different ways.  Trooper gets the big scarry guns, while Bounty Hunter gets gizmos and special attacks (like flamethrowers, etc), but both can have armor.  It seems the same for other classes.  Smuggler get the quick draw and up close stuff or dual pistols, while Spy on the Empire side gets sniper rifles and poisons, but both use cover, and both can heal.  So not quite the same, but roughly similar. 

And the trinity I assume you mean is the damage, tank, confusion one?  It kinda works, but there are not many real clear lines.  Most classes seem to focus on tank or dps, with the confusion stuff sprinkled around for crowd control.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10