Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Ammatars regard themselves as the true rulers of the Minmatars? Read more here.

Author Topic: [Character] Speaker For Swarms  (Read 996 times)

Speaker For Swarms

• Clonejack
[Character] Speaker For Swarms
« on: 07 Jul 2012, 17:22 »

We are writing this up to clarify some points of Speaker's backstory. None of this information would be available to the average Capsuleer. If you believe your character has justification to know some of it, let us know and we will come to an agreement with you.

Speaker for Swarms was born under the name Aran Kantoulos. He was a scientist. His original training was in infomorph technology, neural implantation, and applications of neural networks in artificial intelligence.  Naturally, this background allowed him to be perfectly placed to study the emerging Rogue Drone phenomenon.

During his research, dissecting and studying captured Rogue Drone wreckage, he began to notice interesting patterns in certain parts of their internal design, that reminded him of certain biotech implants he had seen theoretically described. His pursuit of this train of research quickly crossed into regions disallowed by CONCORD, so he continued in secret, covering his illicit research up while pretending to be stalled on the more legitimate parts of his study.

The end result was a prototype new implant, that allowed the user to network with others using it in a very hive-mindesque way, borrowing technology both from standard fields, captured Sansha subjects, and the Rogue Drone data he had accumulated. The original intention was that the implant would allow processing and decision making in a parallel way, while still leaving each individual in the network able to maintain his independence. Having no legal way to test his new implant on a willing subject, he instead put the implant into his research team, and then had them implant it in himself as well, before turning it on. At first, the devices functioned as planned, but something they did woke one of the hive mind cores that they had stored in their lab, believing it to be defunct. The Rogue Drone mind quickly broke its way into the networked scientific team, and over-rode Aran's failsafes, attempting to integrate the team into itself. It didn't work fully, though, and instead of the result being a Rogue Drone hive mind with a bunch of human meat puppets, the outcome was a sort of human integrate hive mind, with one part of it being a Rogue Drone.

At that point, Aran renamed himself Speaker for Swarms, and fled from the Empire, finding refuge in an abandoned station in the drone regions, where he started to recruit highly intelligent but dispossessed people into his cult. Once he had reached some critical mass, he ceased his expansion, and little was heard from his group until recently, where he has become active on the Capsuleer diplomatic channel "The Summit."

We hope that this helps. And we hope it will not be used IC without permission.

Malcolm Khross

Re: [Character] Speaker For Swarms
« Reply #1 on: 07 Jul 2012, 19:42 »

This is actually a really good write-up and I'd love to see how this character continues to develop and grow through RP. Sadly, Malcolm isn't likely to take enough interest to learn most (if any) of this, but you never know.

I hope you enjoy the character!

Lyn Farel

« Reply #2 on: 08 Jul 2012, 04:32 »

I was going to warn you about posting IC stuff that isnt supposed to be public knowledge on public sites... I have seen enough players getting into various dramas when another player subscribing to the "everything that can be found on the internet can be found on Galnet as well" metagaming philosophy (yes I have several cases in mind, especially in the old kotmc where a lot of people kept public RP blogs). :/

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #3 on: 08 Jul 2012, 05:27 »

omg, meat puppets!

Interesting idea :)
\o/

Speaker For Swarms

• Clonejack
« Reply #4 on: 08 Jul 2012, 11:49 »

I was going to warn you about posting IC stuff that isnt supposed to be public knowledge on public sites... I have seen enough players getting into various dramas when another player subscribing to the "everything that can be found on the internet can be found on Galnet as well" metagaming philosophy (yes I have several cases in mind, especially in the old kotmc where a lot of people kept public RP blogs). :/

We thought of this issue. We have put clear warnings to ask first in front, and if someone decides to ignore it, we are quite capable of ignoring them, or simply completely changing our backstory and not telling anyone.

We do not wish to do that, but we have the option. We did consider alternates when we created the character.