Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

the 25ers were a political activist organization that fought for repealing starship licensing fees, laying the foundations for the independent capsuleer community.

Author Topic: Ever wanted to start your own Business?  (Read 1566 times)

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
Ever wanted to start your own Business?
« on: 23 Jan 2014, 12:28 »

I have a weird if awesome opportunity for you, if so. I'm helping with laying the groundwork for a new social networking tools designed by entrepreneurs, for entrepreneurs. There's nothing like this website out there today. Something like 77% of people want to open their own business but aren't able to for various reasons. This website will aim to give entrepreneurs the tools and the know how to allow them to get off the ground. The hope is that it grows to be as big as some of the other huge networking sites, like facebook, tumblr, linkedin, and the like.  I've seen some prototyped stuff for it and it looks really, really cool. If this takes off, it come mean there are tons more small businesses popping up, and we could see a return to a more pure form of capitalism from the few big corporate oligarchies of the present. I think its a really awesome opportunity. The website goes live in invitation mode only for pre-launch on January 25th, if you'd like to get in on the ground floor with me, send me your email address ingame, and I'll send you an invitation.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Sid

• Clonejack
Re: Ever wanted to start your own Business?
« Reply #1 on: 23 Jan 2014, 15:36 »

http://backstage.eve-inspiracy.com/index.php?topic=5609.0

You are the last person I would want to go into business with.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #2 on: 23 Jan 2014, 16:04 »

This sounds like a great idea, but the first question anybody is going to ask is - Why choose your service? What makes your service better than competitors? With hundreds of social networking sites popping up every year, what's so special about yours?

What makes it 'for entrepreneurs by entrepreneurs' ?Who are these entrepreneurs, and what makes them qualify as being called that besides the vague notion of wanting to start a business? What do they do? How successful are they? Who will be doing the teaching? Learning how to go into business requires a lot of legal and social know-how, as long as understanding the relevant market mechanics of whatever type of business you're getting into. Where will that knowledge come from, how will it be disseminated, and who will be providing it?

Do you have any current success stories, or otherwise successful people, who can provide the foundation for this website? If not, you're just another social networking site full of amateurs. You need to offer something that Facebook and others do not with a much much larger pool of actually successful entrepreneurs. Trolling aside, Sid pointed out a very powerful fact: You are not marketable. You need to have somebody or something that is. Even if you're not trying to make money with this yet, you still need to market your website to the billion+ internet users and get them to choose your website over others.

Being an entrepreneur isn't as simple as just meeting others of like kind and getting along. In fact, becoming one often means competing with other entrepreneurs just as often as working with them. How will your social networking site focus on the latter while avoiding the former?

Who is building the website? What special functionality will be provided? Video calls? Databases? Agreements with mobile service providers, or even just an app? Some other form of inter-connectivity? Building a marketable website or service means you will probably need to do some serious programming and innovation to stand out from the crowd. You talk about new social networking tools. What are these tools, and how are they being used, for what, by who, where, etc. Details are required.

You need to offer a lot more information before expecting more than mild passing interest. You need the Who, What, Where, When, Why, How, and Can.

Also, you will want to start planning to take a lot of business courses in college, VERY soon. You'll also want to start saving for a lawyer. Those other websites and tools didn't get where they are today without facing legal and business challenges. If you don't want to get litigated out of business, or simply swallowed up as soon as you encounter even mild success - you're going to need some defense.
« Last Edit: 23 Jan 2014, 16:07 by Katrina Oniseki »

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
« Reply #3 on: 23 Jan 2014, 16:06 »

I'll make this very simple and just give you the presentation pdf, it has lots of relevant information.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #4 on: 23 Jan 2014, 17:50 »

After reading the proposal document, I can safely say this is not something I want to be involved in.

Drakolus

« Reply #5 on: 23 Jan 2014, 19:48 »

I really hope this project takes off and does well but count me in the "not gonna touch it with a 30ft pole" category.

The legal issues alone make me cringe.  For example, it may be relatively simple to "start a business" in Delaware or what not, but what about Mumbai, India.  Or Nigeria?  Or Venezuela?  I can only imagine the legal, procedural and corruption based hurdles that will make this a nightmare for the legal team.

I do think there is a market for some kind of entrepreneurial networking site but reading the document has me going "nope nope nope."  Anyone joining this SHOULD be and WILL be asking "whats it going to cost me" and "whats in it for them" and when they run into the affiliate marketing stuff, I'm guessing a fair few will instantly think "AMWAY" or "PONZI" and bolt. 

How can this site control the quality of it's presenters, mentors and product (if everything is 3rd party generated)? 

Good luck, but again, not with a 30ft pole.

Vikarion

« Reply #6 on: 23 Jan 2014, 22:54 »

What are they selling? It looks like they are essentially selling the opportunity to sell the site.

A few years ago, I was referred to someone by someone I trusted, who presented me with a "wonderful opportunity", which was a network marketing phone company. I did better than 95-98% of the people who join up...and I lost about 8-10 grand. I should have known better, but I didn't, and it cost me time, money, and years of my life that I will never get back.

Try this statement: "'77 percent of adults employed full/part time, stated they would leave
their current position to become an independent entrepreneur.' ... If they knew what business they should start, how to start it, and had the capital to begin. "

Yeah, and I'd drink from the fountain of youth if I knew where it was.

Look, I've been in Network Marketing, and we didn't use sites like this. What's the point of networking with your competitors? What you want are more sucke...er, I mean, potential representatives. And now I do own my own business, a business which actually builds things that people want, and I have to ask: what would I need a site like this for? I can use Linkedin, Facebook, and other social media services which have no real fees...and which people are already using.

If it's costing you nothing, go ahead, but the instant they want a single dollar, watch out.

Desiderya

« Reply #7 on: 23 Jan 2014, 23:58 »

So, you take those who are desperate and tell them they should totally start a business. Here, we've got such good ideas, and we're going to help you with suggestions what you should do to earn your money based on your profile! And why, if you need help with starting up, you know, we can offer you some very cool deals for the necessary capital! No strings attached, trust us!

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
« Reply #8 on: 24 Jan 2014, 05:30 »

You guys really think this is just another scam? I mean, my parents did Amway, I'm familiar with how multi-level marketing scams work, and it doesn't read like that to me. And some of the people involved in starting it up are pretty big names. I think if the product they're offering is actually good and can actually change how people start up their own businesses, it could be really useful.

Desiderya

« Reply #9 on: 24 Jan 2014, 05:35 »

What's in it for you?

I hope you haven't sunk any money in this, because when viewing the slides neither innovative nor professional is the impression I do get. Nor does it radiate 'honest garage project'.
This looks like a pyramid scheme, because everything I learn about this in this "internal" slide is that it's awesome, and everyone who isn't a kid or elderly (66% of the global population! Citation-fucking-needed) is going to need it. Then you get some flashy words about affiliate marketing and how you ought to totally tell everyone and invite everyone to join that monthly-membership site.
« Last Edit: 24 Jan 2014, 05:41 by Desiderya »

V. Gesakaarin

« Reply #10 on: 24 Jan 2014, 05:44 »

I just read the need to pay up front fees and the need to find, "Global Contacts" to buy into it (thus also needing to pay fees) and instantly thought Pyramid Scheme.

This isn't an IPO, just looks like a lot of empty buzzwords and attempts at hype/promises to me.

PracticalTechnicality

« Reply #11 on: 24 Jan 2014, 05:50 »

Hey, Aelisha here, finally re-registered here after a break from this aspect of the community.  I've been through the presentation, hit up their website and done a surface level of non-creepy digging on the Dr. Cauvier and Frank Codina.

Both of these individuals are self-help book writers and speech givers, with no evidence of experience in any form of economic or academic application of their skills besides some private business interests and the ability to convert lyrical carbon dioxide into currency.  Essentially, they have a prime target audience of those that are desperate to change their lives, for reasons personal or fiscal, and are selling snake oil to lubricate the passage from their current lives into the supposedly rosy, currency swimming future. 

Let's analyse the slides for a moment:

• Statistical assertions without reference to credible reports or published statistics
  • No reference to an impartial survey or third party statistical auditing body
  • Only 50 countries despite the internet having access to double that, not even counting countries with byzantine trading laws or internet security considerations.  Why?  Is this activity (essentially affiliate marketing) considered legally dubious in some of those additional 50 or more nations?
  • No reference to the need to interact with competitors, when as Vikarion has said, you want a client-wide interface with your public, with a narrow-interface with your suppliers and potential competitors who may prove helpful in orders outside of your capacity to deliver (keeping it in the small biz family when it gets too big for 1 small business)
  • 'One of the only business to be launched in two languages' <- unsubstantiated cow droppings, unless they mean LITERALLY no one has done PRECISELY two languages.  Maybe 3 or more, maybe 1, but never 2.  This is misleading and is an infantile attempt to exaggerate local and global cultural penetration

The presentation is damning.  Unsubstantiated claims, statistics, only their two client-facing personnel have any form of public profile I don't have to go digging for.  There is no basis for trust here as the two clearly identified individuals are clearly in the market of selling hope as it is. 

Information specific to the domain and other domains owned by these individuals can be found here http://www.simplywhois.com/whois/neurs.com . Of especial interest is their social media footprint, which is tiny despite having had ownership of the name and hosting since 2011.  This may be representative of an emergent business, but those figures are still incredibly small. 

To avoid reiterating previous points, I will end here with a simple breakdown:  Is this legal?  Probably.  Is it 'legitimate'?  I would say no, but I am no expert.  I have based my assessment on basic expectations of statistical rigour and the use of supporting evidence to make claims, as well as the public-facing, publicly accessible portfolios and profiles of Dr Cauvier and Frank Codina. 

If they have asked you for a single cent, run like the wind.  If you have paid them any money, stop now.  The only way to recoup losses in this kind of model is to spread the misery - schemes such as the one I suspect this is are economically bottomless, they require constant input from new affiliates who pay to schill for the company, with no stable business model providing a break even point without the influx of more affiliates or businesses referred by the original wave. 

Should they provide a statistically rigorous, cited and independently verified business plan, I would consider retracting my statements, but this is the kind of material that would fail you in a Bachelor's degree business management programme. 
« Last Edit: 24 Jan 2014, 05:54 by PracticalTechnicality »

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
« Reply #12 on: 24 Jan 2014, 06:34 »

Alright fair enough. I've not given them money and know better then to do that (not that I have money to give them, :lol:). I'll keep an eye on it in case it does end up being somewhat legitimate.