Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Ishukone corporation manufactures the mind altering Transcranial Microcontroller?

Author Topic: Character Voices. Or, "EVE on tape"  (Read 2122 times)

Nmaro Makari

• Nemo
  • Pod Captain
  • SHARKBAIT-HOOHAHA!
Character Voices. Or, "EVE on tape"
« on: 24 Jul 2011, 04:43 »

So just as a point of interest and probably for RP convenience as well, when you type into the chat box and hit enter, do you have an idea of what your character would sound like if they were actually saying the words?

Use any kind of descriptive you want, like comparisons to actors if it helps.
The very model of a British Minmatarian

Nmaro Makari

• Nemo
  • Pod Captain
  • SHARKBAIT-HOOHAHA!
Re: Character Voices. Or, "EVE On Tape"
« Reply #1 on: 24 Jul 2011, 04:54 »

Most of you who know N'maro will know that hes enjoys hard liquor and is also a big cigar enthusiast.

As such, I envision N'maro having a very gravelly voice, not particularly bass-y, but certainly low pitch.

Proably the closest comparison would be Edward James Olmos. Linky: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdQUlf2juPI&feature=related
The very model of a British Minmatarian

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
Re: Character Voices. Or, "EVE on tape"
« Reply #2 on: 24 Jul 2011, 05:42 »

Aah, character accents. I was thinking of making this exact same sort of topic, but never got around to it. One thing I figured is that most of us would pick Western/Hollywood accents for our characters, which is fair enough, since not everyone has exposure to outside cultures.

On that note, +100 for anyone who picks a non-Western actor/accent for a non-Gallente character.

For Seriphyn, I justify a British-influenced accent by the notion that if any faction would have British accents, it would be the Gallente (English has roots in French after all). Scraping the barrel there but  :P . Having grown up in a rough, Old Hueromont district surrounded by delinquent Minmatar youths, I picture Seriphyn mostly has a refined Cockney/East End accent, not simpleton like the stereotypes, but something more akin to Jason Statham (yea' yea'...) or Psycho from the Crysis series. Being thrust into a position of influence, I imagine he has refined his accent further to sound more respectable...playing a bit of Witcher 2, I took a liking to Vernon Roche's accent, played by voice actor Mark Healy.

For Anette, typical girly French accent. For Kiam, I've always pictured the Caldari as having Russian/Slavic accents. She likely has that, mixed with the inflections of French (as in, how she annunciates), as per significant Gallentean influence in her upbringing.

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #3 on: 24 Jul 2011, 05:46 »

I always imagined Nikita having a sort of Malcolm Reynolds accent. Maybe if Malcolm Reynolds accent was spoken by a female character.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #4 on: 24 Jul 2011, 06:13 »

Probably some kind of asian high pitched aristocratic voice, a little squeaky sometimes. With daintily manners.

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #5 on: 24 Jul 2011, 13:22 »

For Seriphyn, I justify a British-influenced accent by the notion that if any faction would have British accents, it would be the Gallente (English has roots in French after all). Scraping the barrel there but  :P .

This seems to have been a weekend of linguistic discussion, but just to clarify, English is a West Germanic language which happens to have a significant infusion of French vocabulary from the time of the Norman Conquest. I'm not sure if that counts as "roots" to you or not. I'd be tending to agree with you about scraping the barrel. :)

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #6 on: 24 Jul 2011, 13:31 »

Side note: I once read a statement to the effect that English is the linguistic equivalent of the bastard child of a Norman officer with an Anglo-Saxon barmaid. And I'd point once more to the statements in Seri's own thread re: RL points of reference being taken too far.

Kiki Truzhari

• Dirty little space witch
  • Wetgraver
  • No Light! No Light!
« Reply #7 on: 24 Jul 2011, 13:37 »

I've sort of always pictured Kiki with a fairly feminine sounding Welsh accent, nothing overly severe, definitely understandable, but very much present in her speech patterns.
Prohasar man opre pirende - sa muro djiben semas opre chengende

Merahl

• Clonejack
« Reply #8 on: 24 Jul 2011, 14:53 »

In my head, Merahl sounds like a Scandinavian Laurence Fishburne.

Kyoko Sakoda

• Pod Captain
« Reply #9 on: 24 Jul 2011, 17:17 »

I don't know who Kyoko might sound like but I emphasize that she has a thick accent when speaking Gallentean that she can't shake regardless of how well she speaks it. I would imagine she has some command in her voice though, just because of her demeanor, and her tone and timbre might just be "average."

Norrin Ellis

« Reply #10 on: 25 Jul 2011, 06:12 »

I always consider Norrin to have a distinctly upper class Gallente accent that makes him sound a bit snobby, rather contrary to his friendly demeanor.  Based on the Gallente ethnic roots in the PF, I assume this would be something Western European, most likely with a heavy French influence.  I plan, however, to actually do some audio clips in the near future as Norrin, which would run counter to this conception, as I am from Florida and have no particularly discernible accent.

Aodha Khan

« Reply #11 on: 25 Jul 2011, 07:02 »

Rastaaaa man!  :yar:

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #12 on: 25 Jul 2011, 09:30 »

I haven't really got a clue who Katrina would sound like or what accent, except that she speaks in a soft and friendly manner. Everything she says is in a largely diplomatic manner, as if she's careful not to upset anyone. When she's angry, I wouldn't say she's scary at all. She sounds more like a frustrated teen than a raging demigod of the stars.

I haven't really thought it out though. I'll sit down and work out more of this. It's an interesting concept.

Victoria Stecker

• Pod Captain
« Reply #13 on: 25 Jul 2011, 10:33 »

I haven't really thought about accent, I tend to pay more attention to tone. Vicky generally has a melodious sort of voice that occasionally betrays her past training as a choral singer. She is capable of speaking with any number of accents, from aristocratic Amarrian to as close as one might find to gutter-speak on Amarrian primary worlds, the purpose being to be able to fit in wherever necessary.

Tone, of course, varies depending on situation, and controlling its nuances is something I imagine Vicky being very good at.