Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That high-orbit shuttle deployment is the most popular method of passenger and freight transportation from planets to space? Read more here.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: What is Fair Role-Playing?  (Read 4757 times)

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
Re: What is Fair Role-Playing?
« Reply #15 on: 03 Jun 2013, 01:21 »

Would you say that the amount of acceptable godmodding depends on the relationship between the characters, their history, and what you perceive as the OOC desire/habits of the player?

For example, if Makkal has scooped someone up on several occasions (they allowed the action) and the scene was a sort of fun playtime at the pool, would picking them up again and threatening to dunk them be okay?

Yes, I would agree with that. Unlike Silas, I prefer a strong OOC understanding with those I RP with frequently. That's just my style of roleplay. Obviously, assumptions of when it's 'okay' can come with a measure of risk. This is where picking your RP partners carefully when doing these sorts of things is important. We've had a similar discussion about this before already.

Laria Raven

• Evil. In a dappy way. Kind of dappy-evil.
  • Wetgraver
    • All Alone In The Night
« Reply #16 on: 03 Jun 2013, 01:31 »

In general, you should pose the attempt, and let the other person pose the result, unless you're absolutely certain that they won't have a problem with it. (And that certainty is probably one born of experience RPing with that person).

Laria swings her fist, aiming for Jude's nose, all her power behind it.
Jude lets it hit him, but seems to barely even notice it.

There's a couple of things that irritate me:

1) Chaingunning poses. Pose-pose-pose-pose... why haven't you responded? (I've deleted what I was writing three times to cope with your effort)

2) Pushing someone beyond what is possible with the tools available. "Oh yeah, but you didn't *actually* give me the datapad". "Your picture doesn't look like you're only five feet tall". That kind of thing - a refusal to allow "best effort" to stand.

Saede Riordan > Yeah and Leopold is the human pond scum. Laria's alright...ish.

Karmilla Strife

• Omelette
« Reply #17 on: 03 Jun 2013, 01:34 »

all my  :cube: for laria's post.

Pieter Tuulinen

• Tacklebitch
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #18 on: 03 Jun 2013, 01:46 »

I do a fair amount of IC sparring with Pieter and in all cases I find it's best to contain within one post one proposition and one result.

For example, my sparring partner might write:
"Desiderya steps in close and attempts to tangle Pieter's legs with her own."

to which I would probably respond with:
"Pieter lets Desiderya get in close and tangle his legs, wrapping one arm around her as she trips him in an attempt to drag her down as he falls."

Note how my reply riffs off my sparring partner's action and presents a new direction that they can riff off of on their next paragraph without predetermining what happens. If Des' action had been more violent, though, I might have decided that the outcome was unacceptable, for example:

"Desiderya steps in and lifts a knee, slamming it into Pieter's groin with eyewatering force."

Not wanting to be neutered, I might reply:

"Pieter twists at the hip, taking the knee to the outside of his hip instead. His eyes narrow at her choice of target and he launches a punch at her eye in retaliation."

I've decisively refused the scenario that was suggested in favour of one of my own WITHOUT forcing anything more than the attempt missing. The situation is left with my sparring partner making a choice and being free to strike out (!) in a direction of their choice.

This might be considered 'blocking' but I try to mitigate that by having the blow land and cause some damage, rather than simply refusing to acknowledge it. At the end of the day, if someone makes an IC demand of you that you aren't willing to fulfil, you don't have to go along with it!

Makkal

• Pod Captain
  • Khanid victor
    • At the End of Your Journey
« Reply #19 on: 03 Jun 2013, 01:49 »

1) Chaingunning poses. Pose-pose-pose-pose... why haven't you responded? (I've deleted what I was writing three times to cope with your effort)
I'm not sure what this mean. Can you clarify?

2) Pushing someone beyond what is possible with the tools available. "Oh yeah, but you didn't *actually* give me the datapad". "Your picture doesn't look like you're only five feet tall". That kind of thing - a refusal to allow "best effort" to stand.
Okay, we've moved beyond godmodding, which is good.

Would you say that if someone presents something that is credible given what we know of the setting and their character, and that doesn't conflict with available data, it's 'unfair' to shoot that down?

For example, some people roll EVE toons as dust character. 'David Calamari' is an EVE PC while 'David Kalamari' is the DUST PC, but they're the same person who is a dust soldier. The player just likes to use the EVE avatar/interface when chatting.

If Makkal told David C that he wasn't really a dust solder and that he was obviously a capsuleer, would that be unfair in your eyes?

Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars!

Current Events

Karmilla Strife

• Omelette
« Reply #20 on: 03 Jun 2013, 01:50 »

i have to say watching the pieter/ava wrastle... I thought it was a very fair and even handed RP.

I'd RP wrastle Pieter anyday.

Steffanie Saissore

• Knight Commander (in training)
  • Omelette
  • Lawful Good Pirate
    • Ebon Rose Forum
« Reply #21 on: 03 Jun 2013, 01:51 »

I am pretty easy going when it comes to RP and will flow with the events, keeping in mind what I think my character is capable of doing.
That said, there are some circumstances where I would appreciate an OOC head's up (psst, there's chloroform on the cloth, you ok with this?).  I rather be given, and would like to give, the opportunity to say "You know what, let's just walk away from this now."

And I have to agree with Laria...chaingun posts frustrate me.  Give me a chance to reply :)
If I have to wait for a reply, I'll wait.  I understand that we don't exist in a vacuum...you might be dealing with PMs or something in another channel or even something in game.  I'm fine with that.

I love a good story so like I said, I'll pretty much roll with anything...just so long as both parties have the option to just walk away.  I'd rather keep friends than force a scene.
"And if the music stops, there's only the sound of the rain.  All the hope and glory, all the sacrifice in vain.  And if love remains though everything is lost, we will pay the price, but we will not count the cost."

Ayallah

• Kameira
  • Egger
« Reply #22 on: 03 Jun 2013, 01:55 »

I do a fair amount of IC sparring with Pieter and in all cases I find it's best to contain within one post one proposition and one result.

For example, my sparring partner might write:
"Desiderya steps in close and attempts to tangle Pieter's legs with her own."

to which I would probably respond with:
"Pieter lets Desiderya get in close and tangle his legs, wrapping one arm around her as she trips him in an attempt to drag her down as he falls."

Note how my reply riffs off my sparring partner's action and presents a new direction that they can riff off of on their next paragraph without predetermining what happens. If Des' action had been more violent, though, I might have decided that the outcome was unacceptable, for example:

"Desiderya steps in and lifts a knee, slamming it into Pieter's groin with eyewatering force."

Not wanting to be neutered, I might reply:

"Pieter twists at the hip, taking the knee to the outside of his hip instead. His eyes narrow at her choice of target and he launches a punch at her eye in retaliation."

I've decisively refused the scenario that was suggested in favour of one of my own WITHOUT forcing anything more than the attempt missing. The situation is left with my sparring partner making a choice and being free to strike out (!) in a direction of their choice.

This might be considered 'blocking' but I try to mitigate that by having the blow land and cause some damage, rather than simply refusing to acknowledge it. At the end of the day, if someone makes an IC demand of you that you aren't willing to fulfil, you don't have to go along with it!

We still have to spar mate.  Whenever you get ~alive~

Steffanie Saissore

• Knight Commander (in training)
  • Omelette
  • Lawful Good Pirate
    • Ebon Rose Forum
« Reply #23 on: 03 Jun 2013, 01:56 »

What I view chaingun posting to be would be something like:

Me: I grab Makkal and lift her off the ground
(now, instead of waiting for you to even reply, I do the following)
Me: I carry her over to the pool
Me: I drop her into the water
etc.

Basically, rattling off a series of actions or even statements without waiting or allowing the other person a chance to reply.
"And if the music stops, there's only the sound of the rain.  All the hope and glory, all the sacrifice in vain.  And if love remains though everything is lost, we will pay the price, but we will not count the cost."

Karmilla Strife

• Omelette
« Reply #24 on: 03 Jun 2013, 02:43 »

I think that would be bad form at the very least because it forces the target to do something.

Ava Starfire

• Queen of Hashbrowns
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #25 on: 03 Jun 2013, 06:15 »

i have to say watching the pieter/ava wrastle... I thought it was a very fair and even handed RP.

It was indeed. No godmodding at all. Let's be fair, Pieter probably COULD simply grab Ava up and she couldnt do a hell of a lot about it. This sort of RP does suck beyond the telling of it for the person it happens too, however; an RP fight with someone a way back reeeeally put me off "in-person" RP for a long time. I'm happy it doesnt seem to happen to me much anymore. Being godmodded at sucks.

Anslol

« Reply #26 on: 03 Jun 2013, 07:06 »

Until someone accidentally their lives.

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
« Reply #27 on: 03 Jun 2013, 07:19 »

Don't force the other party into anything.

Example: /me shoot's Makkal in the face. >  Is bad.
* Karmilla Strife attempts to shoot Makkal in the face.  > Leaves Makkal open to respond with /me dives behind cover to avoid being shot.

Other than that basic intro to godmodding, I think it's unfair to metagame but I can't think of specific examples.

This. On the old BG2 forums we RP'd like this all the time. To underline Karmilla's example, it was okay and encouraged to emote the actions in the manner that left yourself or others open to counter or intervention, as exemplified above. What was not okay with to deal in absolutes - you never said that you did anything *definitively*.

Desiderya

« Reply #28 on: 03 Jun 2013, 07:39 »

Everyone wants to touch Pieter in places.

And when any confrontation occurs you can always open an OOC convo to make intentions clear. If you're willing to dive into the unknown I prefer to handle it like Pieter described, as kind of compromise. Always respect/reflect the actions of the other party and offer a new direction. It works best when you're playing with someone you're on the same level with, because ultimately there'll always be someone who always wants to win. Ideally it'd be: If your character eats some dirt, you're more likely to get offered the possibility to have him/her shine, too.

Ché Biko

• Space Buddho-Commu-Nihilist
  • Veteran
  • I'll face the stars or the abyss.
    • Biko's Backstage Character Thread
« Reply #29 on: 03 Jun 2013, 08:10 »

Being godmodded at sucks.
[ 2013.05.26 21:08:21 ] Ava Starfire > /emote pops Che on the nose
 :P
Heheh, no hard feelings, though. It can happen to the best of us: "Pieter lets Desiderya get in close and tangle his legs, wrapping one arm around her as she trips him in an attempt to drag her down as he falls." is still sort of godmodding in my eyes.

Ché has been hit on three occasions, and all of them were technicaly instances of godmodding, but I had no problem with it and "rolled with the punches" because I would have allowed the punches to land anyway, as both of them sort of caught Ché by surprise during one of his not so sober/alert times.
Now, I am of course hoping that familairity with my character led to the correct assumption that the hits would land. :D
If I would feel bad about a godmod, I would try to employ a counter-godmod like Pieter desribed, or talk to the player OOCly.

Another thing I sometimes feel are unfair are characters with "omni-presence", and pick up on conversations/see stuff on the other side of the busy, noisy nightclub, sometimes to the point of having god-like awareness of everything that happens in there.. This is especially true if the player in question did not indicate his character was present in that club before he/she suddenly picked up part of a conversation. Sneaking up/eavesdropping on people is ok, but I think you should indictate that you do so before your character hears something interesting (heck, if you do so, I might even invite you to the private chat if we start "whispering"), althought I'm generally ok with someone nearby hearing a word or two that caught their attention and lead to them focus on the converstation taking place.
Now I realize that sometimes (or a lot of times) spacial awareness is an issue in text RP (something I was really hoping for that Incarna would fix. I would suggest that players make a post that describes what they're doing and where whenever a new character enters the scene), so usually, I won't hold it against players if they pick up on conversations, even more so because it often makes the RP a bit more enjoyable.
« Last Edit: 04 Jun 2013, 17:25 by Ché Biko »
-OOChé
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5