Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That "gods and spirits" is a popular Achura and Minmatar expression of disbelief?

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Dev post [Future]: Command Ship Hull Changes  (Read 6903 times)

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
  • Shes mad but shes magic, theres no lie in her fire
Dev post [Future]: Command Ship Hull Changes
« on: 07 Jun 2013, 12:19 »

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=3124398#post3124398

Quote from: CCP Fozzie
This is something I've been thinking about during my predesign for the command ships.

I'll start with this disclaimer, we will never feel that we need to make hull designs match the function of every ship. So there's no NEED to switch the hulls on any command ships. This is not something we've decided to do, but it is something we could do and would like your opinions on.

It might be interesting to convert half the command ships into the other BC hull, picking the one that matches their weapon type at the T1 level.

That would (potentially) mean:

Eos would use the Myrm hull
Sleipnir would use the Hurricane hull
Abso would use the Harb hull
Nighthawk would use the Drake hull

This is the kind of thing that we'd expect many people would have strong opinions about, and since it wouldn't have direct gameplay effects we wouldn't consider it worth doing unless there was some significant community support for the idea that overwhelms the opposition.

So, hypothetically, what do you guys think?

This matches a video produced by Sarmatiko after a data trawl.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8m8bZ7ThlRY

"Eve roleplayers scare me." - The Mittani

Lyn Farel

Re: Dev post [Future]: Command Ship Hull Changes
« Reply #1 on: 07 Jun 2013, 12:28 »

Are their artists bored to death or something ? :P

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
  • Shes mad but shes magic, theres no lie in her fire
« Reply #2 on: 07 Jun 2013, 12:30 »

Not actually impossible.  :yar:

"Eve roleplayers scare me." - The Mittani

Ghost Hunter

• Sansha's True Citizen ; TS-F Overseer
  • The Mods
  • Veteran
  • True Power without limit!
« Reply #3 on: 07 Jun 2013, 12:45 »

hmmm

I'm generally ok with this
Ghost > So yes, she was Ghost's husband-
Ashar > So Ghost was a gay Caldari and she went through tranny surgery
Ghost > Wait what?
Ashar > Ghosts husband.
Ghost > No she was - Oh god damnit.

He ate all of them
We Form Moderation
For Nation

Alain Colcer

• Pod Captain
« Reply #4 on: 07 Jun 2013, 13:12 »

YES please!

Natalcya Katla

• Captain farkin' Cardboard
  • Omelette
« Reply #5 on: 07 Jun 2013, 13:23 »

No! Not with my Nighthawk.  :mad:
Ava Starfire > There is evil.
Ava Starfire > Outright evil.
Ruby Amatucci > Hello!

Mithfindel

• (a.k.a. Axel Kurki)
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #6 on: 07 Jun 2013, 13:41 »

I dislike the Drake hull. Should have at least the KK stripes more visible. More interested on what the balancing sweep talked earlier would bring to the table.

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #7 on: 07 Jun 2013, 13:46 »

afik, the work is already done. It wouldn't need any more art work. All the V3 ships have a full set of skinned versions already.  Faction, T2, Corporate, and all. There's even a State Issue Ibis. Not joking.

Anslol

« Reply #8 on: 07 Jun 2013, 13:49 »

afik, the work is already done. It wouldn't need any more art work. All the V3 ships have a full set of skinned versions already.  Faction, T2, Corporate, and all. There's even a State Issue Ibis. Not joking.

Otherwise known as the Heth-mobile.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #9 on: 07 Jun 2013, 13:51 »

Otherwise known as the Heth-mobile.

I'm pretty sure the Hethmobile is a giant teacup, or whatever the Caldari use for coffins.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #10 on: 07 Jun 2013, 14:41 »

That is still at least a texture job (or a full remodel if the structure changes a bit like for a lot of T2 ships). Granted, it does not take whole weeks, but still needs a few days that could be spent somewhere else.

And I doubt that they have a proper T2 skin corresponding to the T2 manufacturers for these BCs. Why would they have already that ?

Ah, and also: turret/launcher slots. Is the layout correct for the T2 variant ?

Ghost Hunter

• Sansha's True Citizen ; TS-F Overseer
  • The Mods
  • Veteran
  • True Power without limit!
« Reply #11 on: 07 Jun 2013, 15:02 »

I dislike the Drake hull. Should have at least the KK stripes more visible. More interested on what the balancing sweep talked earlier would bring to the table.

The video provided points out the extracted Drake textures are bugged and not displaying correctly.
Ghost > So yes, she was Ghost's husband-
Ashar > So Ghost was a gay Caldari and she went through tranny surgery
Ghost > Wait what?
Ashar > Ghosts husband.
Ghost > No she was - Oh god damnit.

He ate all of them
We Form Moderation
For Nation

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #12 on: 07 Jun 2013, 15:15 »

That is still at least a texture job (or a full remodel if the structure changes a bit like for a lot of T2 ships). Granted, it does not take whole weeks, but still needs a few days that could be spent somewhere else.

And I doubt that they have a proper T2 skin corresponding to the T2 manufacturers for these BCs. Why would they have already that ?

You should read Art sections in the CSM minutes for the last couple years. All the information on V3 is there, along with a few dev blogs and dev posts. I've been watching it closely as it goes down since I am an art addict for EVE expansions.

It's been made pretty clear right from the very beginning that when a ship is given the V3 treatment, it comes out the other side with a complete selection of skin versions. See the original Scorpion devblog as an example. Notice how it already comes with a full selection of skins? Even Ishukone and Lai Dai, Mordus, State, etc... the whole set already made. My guess is that it is done with some sort of procedural skin generation. Color values, decal templates, and a logo are selected for a variant... and that variant is applied to all the ships quickly and easily. This simplicity (though they did not specify that this is how they do it) was mentioned as one of the major reasons for going V3, because it's easier than having to hand-paint every variant manually.

Watching various data snoops who render these hidden versions outside of the game (like the chick from Caldari Prime Pony Club, and Sarmatiko) has also made it clear that this is indeed done using a system of templates, as I've seen screenshots of the templates. I've also seen ships using the correct and exact same pattern with alternate color values applied. Like a pink Navy Rokh, for example.

Some ships don't have a T2 version, or won't. Those color values are attributed to a different NPC corp instead. For example, Carthum shares the same skin as Sarum. Just a different logo. Kaalakiota shares the same skin as Home Guard. Different logo. Ishukone shares the same skin as Ishukone Watch. Different logo. See where I am going with this? This is incidentally why when the Amarr ships got the V3 treatment, many Viziam and Carthum ships carried the Ardishapur and Sarum logos by mistake. So even if the Scorpion has no need for the Ishukone T2 skin... that skin can still be used as Ishukone Watch Scorpion. On the same note... even though the Harbinger at the time had no need for a Carthum skin (Absolution), it already had the Sarum skin... which can be easily and quickly re-purposed into Carthum by using a simple logo swap.

Even if you don't believe anything of what I'm saying, as you can see by the video, the correct assets already exist, and Fozzie hasn't even decided whether or not he wants to do it yet. There is no extra several days of art work that needs to be done, so you can stop worrying that valuable time will be wasted.
« Last Edit: 07 Jun 2013, 15:20 by Katrina Oniseki »

Makoto Priano

« Reply #13 on: 07 Jun 2013, 16:55 »

This is actually one thing that vexes me.

All of these assets have been created, but with the Incarna flop, very few of them have seen the light of day. As such, CCP has a bunch of assets sitting around that Marketing is tapping as an easy resource for unique promotional ships -- making hangar queens of things that might actually be fun to toy with. I'd -love- to kit out an Ishukone Watch ship or three for live events, for instance, even if they're the functional equivalent of standard vessels.

Gripegripegripe. ;)

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #14 on: 07 Jun 2013, 16:58 »

I believe the list is...

Gallente
Civilian
Navy Issue
Federate Issue
Roden