EVE-Online RP Discussion and Resources > Player Driven Content

Morality of the Immor(t)al

<< < (2/3) > >>

Goshien:
The result of someone not being bound by laws (or even any sort of retribution) is usually different then who they are when they are bound by that. Games, and the internet in general, present us with a sort of view into this. Their is almost no retribution for anything you say on the internet, and look what happens.
Now put that kind of behavior back in real life and you end up with an asswhooping.

Not the same of course, when faced with more immoral actions like theft, murder etc. I wonder how many only follow laws because they would rather not go jail. Certainly I think the majority would indulge in some sort of crime (even if minor) if they knew that there were no consequences. Pilots have basically come into a large amount of power, lose a fear of death, and in general might very well becomed detached from other humans. Given in this state for some time, I think a loss of "accepted morality" would be almost inevitable for many of them. This is shown in the amarr I think best. Some amarr pilots run off doing whatever they like, but they have many that stay. Could be a sense of duty, or I think more a fear of retribution from their diety.

Silver Night:
I think there is a difference in that (IC, at least) pilots don't have anonymity. They might be essentially free of more traditional restrictions, but reputation is still an issue.

Kaleigh Doyle:
Firstly, I would argue that CONCORD and the major empires to some degree do play a factor in determining our choices. If you decide to commit aggressive actions against other capsuleers enough CONCORD will eventually prevent you from entering high security systems. If you decide to join a faction in the war, their enemies will hunt you when you enter their systems. Given this I'd say their morality and laws do set come to play in determining our own.  Is the freedom to murder willy nilly a fair price for restricted travel?

Essentially, our 'morality' is defined by our needs and the consequences of our actions. Outside of CONCORD and the major empires, our fellow capsuleers are really the only determinant of acceptable behavior.

Long before salvaging and criminal flagging, jet can theft was a popular trade amongst thieves, and these thieves carry on that tradition with salvage 'theft' at popular mission hubs. People scream and cry foul, while others suck it up and deal with it, but our society has generally regarded the thieves as lowlife scum. The same goes for corp thieves and cheating on duels, to reporting bots and isk spammers.

Ultimately what happens is those who share the same moral principles tend to group together and form societies, and those values continue to persist until a greater civilization comes to swallow them up. The New Eden universe really emulates a darwinist, anarchist existence, encouraging a 'winners get to set the tone of morality' position.

The question I'd ask is, what do pilots need and how do they go about getting it?

Goshien:

--- Quote from: Silver Night on 29 Apr 2010, 11:32 ---I think there is a difference in that (IC, at least) pilots don't have anonymity. They might be essentially free of more traditional restrictions, but reputation is still an issue.

--- End quote ---

True reputation, or the social aspect, is likely one of the most limiting things on human behavior their is. Mob mentality shows this. Ask any one person whether they would destroy someone elses property for no reason and of course they say no. Now get them even a little tipsy, start a good old fashioned after the game riot and suddenly that same person is helping flip cars. A new capsuleer might be affected by this, but I think as time wore on they would become less susceptible as they are distanced from the mortals.

Lillith Blackheart:
This thread makes me ponder making an Amarrian character. I do not believe in morals as a person, there are ethics and there are social mores, "morality" has a direct implication that I find highly improbable, as a result I tend towards making characters that are amoral as well, though often ethical and often socially acceptable behavior.

Interesting.

Sorry, carry on. I should say something on topic:

I would suggest that along the lines of what I said to start this, that barring the Amarrians or Matari (and perhaps the Intaki), morality amongst capsuleers is a non-issue. Specifically with the Caldari. The Caldari, by their society's strict methodology strike me more as an Ethical society than a Moral society. Furthermore I would suggest that the divorcement from death via capsuleers would lead them to move away from Morals even further and towards Ethics as their "right/wrong" compass for direction.

Because there is a big difference between the two terms.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version