EVE-Online RP Discussion and Resources > Player Driven Content

Morality of the Immor(t)al

(1/3) > >>

Inara Subaka:
This is being created from a discussion on another thread, but it's a very relevant issue to address.

Capsuleers are immortal (effectively), and there is no way to police their moral behaviors in any way (CONCORD doesn't really count, because they fail at preventing "immoral" behavior by Capsuleers).

An Egger has no morality they have to answer to aside from their own personally imposed morality. One could go out murdering millions of people because it's FUN, and others could take a vow of pacifism and never cause the explosion of another ship (NPC or Capsuleer), but neither could impose their moral compass on the other by any means.

When all restrictions are taken away, what happens to a human? No limits... do they stick to their moral code they had before they were immortal, or do they find themselves above such petty things? Without restrictions or social guidelines, do they revert to their baser instincts without reservation?

This applies to all morality issues, not just murder etc.... I'm just using murder as the 'simple' example.

Silver Night:
I think, as with most things, it'd be mixed. Depend on the capsuleer, etc.

There might be some cultures that are 'better' at instilling morals that would survive, though?

Inara Subaka:
Oh, definitely agreed. I'm speaking in generalities though, what limits do Capsuleers have in terms of morality aside from their own consciences?

I'll use Inara as an example: When I was in Rancer, she tried to delude herself into thinking she was "just doing business" when, looking back, she sees that as a time in her life that she allowed her own morality to slip (smart-bombing gates isn't business, it's mass murder for profit). But no one could call her on it, or change her, there's no restrictions that could be placed on her (aside from her own choosing) to keep her from doing that again.

But as much as Inara abhors murder (her moral code is interesting to say the least), she can't prevent any other capsuleer from running around blowing ships up willy-nilly. Especially those that do contract work in hisec where she's KOS by authorities... And there's nothing preventing her from going back to that 'way of life'.

And like I said, it's not set in stone that she couldn't go back to being a mass murderer for profit, and again, there'd be no restrictions to prevent her from doing as much. A capsuleer can do anything with little to no lasting consequences... It's just something to ponder on.

Also, this applies to all forms of morality. Violence, business ethics, telling the truth/lying, social 'deviancy', etc are all under this 'umbrella topic'.

Kaldor Mintat:
Unless the egger in question is operating solo in expect there will always be some behavoural restrictions in the group one belongs to. Also for some/many the sociatal rules imprinted during youth would remain (at least for awhile). we need to remember that even if capsuleers are potentially immortal no capsuleer have been operating for long as of yet and most have in fact already retired.

Natalcya Katla:
CONCORD law is Katla's standard for moral behavior. She will not break CONCORD law, and although she'll claim the reason for it is that keeping a clean record has its advantages, the truth is that she actually regards the law as a moral imperative. This applies only to the letter of the law, however; she'll exploit loopholes or circumvent laws without a second thought, as long as she doesn't downright break any. She dismisses the notion of "the spirit of the law" and of "justice" as stupid romanticism, and openly insists that laws are there to keep order, not to be fair.

She also has a handful of friends (and favored enemies) who she'll stick up for if needed. Aside from that, despite being much more sociable and outgoing lately than what used to be the case, she is utterly amoral.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version