Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Gradient (GRD) is an independent elite capsuleer unit affiliated with the Minmatar Republic?  Read more here

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2229 times)

Milo Caman

• Guerilla Gardener
  • Pod Captain
    • Out of Sinq
Re: Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #15 on: 27 Jun 2012, 06:21 »

Damn it, Milo. scooped.

Wait what?

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #16 on: 27 Jun 2012, 09:00 »

I picked up the new Getting Started with Dwarf Fortress book from O'Reilly, which contains a lot of the same info as the wiki but seems better presented.

Also, this falls in line with my theory that many gamers - including many of us - are less focused on MMORPGs or even science fiction and more on sandbox gameplay, because this scratches a lot of the same itches as Minecraft and reading EVE stories. In fact, the author of GSWDF is an EVE player and has blogged extensively about it.

Desiderya

« Reply #17 on: 27 Jun 2012, 09:58 »

If you liked boatmurdered you're going to like the Saga of Gemclod as well.
It references Boatmurdered, too.

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #18 on: 29 Jun 2012, 16:22 »

most of the time, the main industry in my fort becomes stitching images onto clothes taken from dead goblins and selling these clothes to the trade caravans.
\o/

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #19 on: 30 Jun 2012, 18:08 »

I was doing fine selling rock crafts and toys from my second fortress. A legendary miner / stonecrafter had been killed by a vampire, but otherwise no real problems. Food production was going well, military pwned a minotaur and some goblins... then a dragon landed. My last soldier (an accidental recruit, no less) killed it with her spear in the hospital after it devastated my entire top level. We started to rebuild, but a goblin ambush followed by a siege depleted us too much. Eventually we drove off the cackling invaders, but miasma and grief just overwhelmed my poor little dwarves.

On the plus side, I want to go mine in EVE now. ;)

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #20 on: 01 Jul 2012, 01:55 »

Welcome to Dwarf Fortress, where there is a fine line between insanity and gameplay. The line menaces with spikes of obsessive compulsion.

is a quote I saw on a different forum.

my current fort has a population of 126, down from a high of 243, after we invaded and destroyed the underworld. It is the year 1085.

There are some 3000+ dead goblins on the units list.

One of the statues in the fort is of sth like: "Osbu Grimstrangle the goblin and Ironlicked the dog. Osbu Grimstrangle is making a plaintive gesture, Ironlicked is laughing. The artwork relates to the killing of the goblin Osbu Grimstrangle by the dog Ironlicked during the 4th Attempted Abduction in 1057"

it is o.O at times.
\o/

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran
« Reply #21 on: 01 Jul 2012, 10:13 »

I've never been able to get into DF, but I recommend that everyone who hasn't read the saga of Boatmurdered. I was crying with laughter for a good hour the first time I read it.

After reading a good portion of that site I am now going to get this game.

This.
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
― Isaac Asimov

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #22 on: 01 Jul 2012, 10:16 »

Protip: don't dig way down into hidden caverns until you have a decent military. >_>

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
« Reply #23 on: 01 Jul 2012, 10:33 »

"A few more war dogs ran out and attacked. I have to say I'm slightly terrified by them. One of the bitches actually gave birth while she was attacking, and her puppies joined in on the carnage. At the end of the day, the three mandrills were dead, and they took one war dog with them and injured another one and a puppy."

Born on the battlefield indeed. :eek: :lol:

Conan the barbarian has nothing on these dogs.
Pages: 1 [2]