Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Evanda Char started life as humble mechanic?

Author Topic: Nexus : the Jupiter's Incident  (Read 979 times)

Lyn Farel

Nexus : the Jupiter's Incident
« on: 26 Nov 2011, 18:57 »

Well some of you must already know this game, but I thought I had to share it with all of these that do not know it. I stumbled on some videos of this game by pure hazard on youtube and decided to try it today. Well, I must admit that I am totally amazed. The story is quite awesome, the atmosphere in particular, and the gameplay is quite original too and very pleasant. What is maybe less good is ergonomics wise, where the UI is sometimes a little awful to use or not user friendly at all (but we are eve players, we no ph34r terrible UIs... rawr), and graphics are sometimes inequal, especially for a game released in 2005 and the sound... meh (but I can understand it, the game was developped by some obscure hungarian game studio).

That said, the tl;dr version : its awesome, im totally hooked.

http://uk.pc.ign.com/objects/016/016704.html

The beginning of the game :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lototgZSUwk
« Last Edit: 26 Nov 2011, 18:59 by Lyn Farel »

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
Re: Nexus : the Jupiter's Incident
« Reply #1 on: 26 Nov 2011, 21:28 »

Sounds like it rivals Eve and that... err... X3 was it? Think it was, for learning curve. I might look into it if I find myself interested in an RTS game. I'm just hungering for Freespace 3 myself.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #2 on: 27 Nov 2011, 06:18 »

I have not played x3 but it seems to me that this one is more story driven through a series of missions. If x3 is an elder scrolls where you mostly can wander around and do exploration, then this one is probably a mass effect, where you follow the story and evolve through it.

Also, as much as it might be a RTS, I find it so atypical that I have difficulties to define it. You mostly command your own ship, sometimes alone, sometimes part of a fleet.  Sometimes you also have the possibility to have other ships at your orders though, but it is mostly focused on tactical choices revolving around your ship with a lot of interesting little mechanisms like passive/active scanners, different kind of weapons, a very complete way of "fitting your ship", boarding other ships, etc.

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
« Reply #3 on: 27 Nov 2011, 09:19 »

Thanks for reminding me Lyn. I've had this game since forever and are yet to beat it. I should go do that soon.

Word of caution to players - this game can be hard. Some missions can be easy, hard, very hard or near impossible based on your understanding of your ship(s) abilities and what tactics/fittings you employ.

Also; plan ahead. You will never have enough resources to entierly re-tool your ship(s) for every mission so decide on a style/tactic or whatever fairly early on, then stick with improving it. If you make to big tweaks and alterations, things can go from 'managable' to impossible.

But then, as Lyn so nicely stated, we are all EVE players. This level of challenge should be STIMULATING, tbh.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9n8Rt205Fn8&feature=related

Intro and first mission. Just a teaser. 8)

Katrina Oniseki

• The Iron Lady
  • Demigod
  • Caldari - Deteis - Tube Child
« Reply #4 on: 28 Nov 2011, 01:16 »

This game can also be freaking hilarious too. The characters and voice acting are memorable. I still quote Nexus to this day in EVE fleets, and nobody ever gets the reference...

Kat in a Rifter: "Alright FC. Let me show you how the big boys do battle!"

John Revenent

• Taisho - Friendly Neighborhood Caldari Liberal (Punching Bag)
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #5 on: 29 Nov 2011, 06:10 »

I got this game several days ago hooked me from the start. It has been awhile since I found a space sci-fi game that has a good story, and is enjoyable start to end.  :cube: