Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That docked frigates are hooked in with massive electromagnetic anchors? (The Burning Life p. 75)

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Soft clones, how do they work exactly ?  (Read 4664 times)

Anslol

Re: Soft clones, how do they work exactly ?
« Reply #45 on: 26 Apr 2013, 08:08 »

Not ret-conning either. Block me now IG if you don't like it.

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #46 on: 26 Apr 2013, 19:48 »

Bit late coming to this topic, but I just wanted to throw in,

1. Invasive brain scan, unconnected to new clone, connected to storage device.
2. Duplicate stored brain scan.
3. Use one copy to activate a new clone.
4. Other stored scan kept as "backup". ALL memories from that point onward are non-recoverable.

This has actually been how I've always defined the process of softcloning for the purposes of my RP. Though, I throw in the exception case that my corporation has created and started marketing a form of memory chip, that those memories can be backed up in, and thus removed from the body and used to get the memories back. But it only works if the chip survives and the body is recoverable. I think the chips add an interesting element of depth to RP, wherein, for instance, memories could be held for ransom.

As for how soft clones "work" in practice it goes like this:

The Summit > MOTD: People have the Right to Talk about things.
A > I'm going to connect a sansha's nation computer thing to my brain, it'll be great, and I'll learn lots!
Concerned onlookers > Don't do it, man! that's madness!
B > The wonders of science.
A > I'm connecting it now... Aaaaaargh!
B > he's dead, jim.
Concerned onlookers > Well, that was unfortunate and entirely unpredicted. What a shame. He was a good man, what a rotten way to die.
A > Howdy y'all
Concerned onlookers > Aren't you dead? what sorcery is this?
A > soft clone backup, yo
B > word.

This is what I would call absolute silliness.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #47 on: 27 Apr 2013, 09:38 »

@MorwenLagann: Soft-cloning: Naughty, messy consistency landmine. No official stance on it yet. (Gnauton) #evestory #evefanfest #tweetfleet

From my half-assed livetweeting of the "Story in EVE" panel yesterday. Player fiction panel is about to start in a little bit, but I doubt soft-cloning will come up.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Ulphus

• Bitter dried flower
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #48 on: 29 Apr 2013, 02:51 »

I think we're going to be able to draw some more conclusions about soft cloning from Karin Midular, if she dies. .

I have actually wondered if Karin Miduar is the reason they've pulled the soft-clone stuff. I can imagine a conversation
"Ccp1: right, we need more dynamism, so it's time to get rid of some faction leaders we've written into corners. Let's start with Midular
Ccp2: let's have her be the victim of a terrorist attack, shoot her in the head or something
Ccp3: but wouldn't they be able to just recover her from a soft clone backup?
Ccp2: WTF? Then we can't get rid of any of our NPCs that are capsuleers without someone asking What about soft-cloning? Let's get rid of it, I'm sure nobody will notice. "

Delegate Zero did imply they'd been considering who might have moral objections to soft-clones, or perhaps just that the possibility of those moral objections might also give them an out.

It does feel like a thing they need to work around for story advancement, but then that's a microcosm of the problem of capsuleers in general. How do you get promoted if your boss is immortal, and need never step down?

Adult to 4y.o "Your shoes are on the wrong feet"
Long pause
4y.o to adult, in plaintive voice "I don't have any other feet!"

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #49 on: 29 Apr 2013, 04:07 »

I disagree on that front, personally.

They've stated that she cannot be cloned for two reasons that have nothing to do with soft-cloning's viability as a concept:
- Her brain is far too damaged to perform a scan with an acceptable probability of success. The woman took a high-velocity round to the fucking head. That she's not dead outright is insane.
- She does not have a backup to use in the first place; whether that is by choice or tradition based on her being a Ray of Matar or her clan's beliefs is unclear.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Ulphus

• Bitter dried flower
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #50 on: 29 Apr 2013, 05:45 »

- Her brain is far too damaged to perform a scan with an acceptable probability of success. The woman took a high-velocity round to the fucking head. That she's not dead outright is insane.

I've seen a documentary about a guy who took a 7.62 NATO round to the head which took out a reasonable percentage of his brain, spent 12 hours without medical attention beyond a shell dressing (he got triaged to e bottom of e casualty list) was patched together, and then recovered enough to learn to walk and talk again. Human bodies are amazing pieces of engineering, with both fragility and
toughness. Given high tech medical treatment, I don't find that at all stretching of SOD.

- She does not have a backup to use in the first place; whether that is by choice or tradition based on her being a Ray of Matar or her clan's beliefs is unclear.

Did they confirm that? My recollection is that Delegate Zero suggested it was a possibility, but I don't recall if he stated it was definite. (but then, I haven't read all the news on this)
Adult to 4y.o "Your shoes are on the wrong feet"
Long pause
4y.o to adult, in plaintive voice "I don't have any other feet!"

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #51 on: 29 Apr 2013, 05:54 »

As resilient as the human body is, we're also looking at technology that's probably about 2000 years ahead of what we have now (would be 20k but for lolevegate, of course). We also know that her brain is in no state to have a scan done of it right now, which means that the only 'immediate' cloning solution is a backup.

It seemed a lot more definite than "a possibility" to me. What wasn't definite was the reasons for why that might be the case.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:

Adreena Madeveda

• What's your favourite thing about space ?
  • Egger
  • Mine is space.
    • A Blog !
« Reply #52 on: 29 Apr 2013, 06:35 »

http://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/Vuld_Haupt#The_Blessing_of_Clones

While this is specifically about capsuleers' clones, there's this :
"these pilots [are] especially disposed to the loss of spiritual connection that comes with ohnesh, since they experience death without the subsequent blessing that accompanies it."

I think it's safe to make this generalization, that escaping death through cloning was frowned upon in the matari culture, probably more in a "poor guy" than "get out of here, freak" way.
Vuld Haupt changed the deal by proposing rituals to repair this disconnection, but :
-Those new rituals can't be older than 10 years : the acceptance of the spiritual status of capsuleers (and therefore, that escaping death through cloning isn't that bad) is still relatively young, and maybe not widespread. Karin Midular could be, spirituality-wise, a member of the old guard (even if she was rather liberal politically-wise).
-The fact that she is a Ray of Matar could be the very reason she doesn't have a backup. A Ray appears in times of trouble, leads, does great things, and dies. An everlasting Ray would be a terrible thing -for the Ray herself and for the people she's supposed to lead.
-And there is, of course, a crapload of personal reasons someone, even given the possibility, would not get a cold-scan backup.
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player, that struts and frets his hour upon the stage and then is heard no more; it is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

Shakespeare, Macbecth

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #53 on: 29 Apr 2013, 06:46 »

Personally, I think cultural reasons would be quite sufficient for not copying the Ray of Matar. My take on things is that cloning is problematic for at least some parts of Matari society (and yes, that includes for my pod pilot).

... although under the current sort of situational pressure people make decisions that have society-changing effects. It'll be interesting to see how this storyline develops.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]