Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That all Blood Raider commanders receive substantial theological training as well? (The Burning Life, p. 56)

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Of Tattoos and Gallente  (Read 4073 times)

Natalcya Katla

• Captain farkin' Cardboard
  • Omelette
Re: Of Tattoos and Gallente
« Reply #30 on: 28 Apr 2013, 16:07 »

As hilarious as that is, I have to ask... why would there be culturally significant tattoos that say these things? Do Minmatar tattoo their cardboard boxes and toasters?

Toasters are chipped for identification, not tattooed. It is known.
Ava Starfire > There is evil.
Ava Starfire > Outright evil.
Ruby Amatucci > Hello!

Esna Pitoojee

• Keeper of the Harem
  • Demigod
« Reply #31 on: 28 Apr 2013, 16:09 »

Esna's Signature quote sums up my opinions on the subject.

(I believe the quote comes from a Muck Raker thread on Eve-O)

Ack, I missed this.

No, the quote is from the discussion thread on Backstage from when the Chronicle "Tattoos" was released. I'll see if I can find it.

EDIT: Found it. This thread may be relevant.
« Last Edit: 28 Apr 2013, 16:12 by Esna Pitoojee »
I like the implications of Gallentians being punched in the face by walking up to a Minmatar as they so freely use another person's culture as a fad.

Anslol

« Reply #32 on: 29 Apr 2013, 06:48 »

Thanks a lot for the feedback everyone. Basically, my idea was to have some kind of tattoo Anslo earned during his two year disappearance while he was wandering around with baseliners after his piracy stint post-escape. So far from the posts I've read, the only way for Anslo to have gotten any kind of meaningful Matari tattoo would have to be either something major enough to really earn it, or something innocuous like a tribal name tattoo.

At this point I'm not TOO sure how to proceed, but this feedback is really great. I'll try to flesh out an arc for it later on I suppose. Please feel free to submit more comments though!

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist
« Reply #33 on: 29 Apr 2013, 10:14 »

I'm not a Minmatar RP'er so take my input with a grain - or ton, of crude, grain-sized transparent crystals.

Building on what others have said here and my own previous comment I really see no reason why Anslo could not have earned a tattoo of some kind. Matari are as diverse as anyone in the Federation so, while some Matari (like the ones he frequented, for instance) may not take it too seriously that a non-Matari earned a mark of serious respect among them for some great deed or other, other Matari will take offence with him having the tattoo AT ALL, simply because he's not a Matari by blood. There is likely always going to be people like that among humans, I see no reason why this is not so thousands of years into the future.

However, some Matari disagreeing in principle is irrelevant to Anslo's earning of this mark. If a group of Matari of some stripe or another considered Anslo valuable enough to have earned it, then that's that. In fact saying no to receive this mark might be taken as a sign of disrespect in itself (even if I really hate the "disrespecting my gift by not taking it" trope myself) and his defense in the face of critique will always be "I earned this from your kin, back the fuck off or take it up with them."

End of the line is, if Anslo earned it legitimately, why should he bend over backwards to the opinion of some intolerant Matari? Why is the words of a Matari automatically more valuable than his own, especially when the deed speaks for itself?

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #34 on: 29 Apr 2013, 10:46 »

Bloodbird personifies Gallente thinking on this matter.

Anslol

« Reply #35 on: 29 Apr 2013, 11:21 »

Bloodbird personifies Gallente thinking on this matter.

I figured as much, since I completely agreed with him :p

But the point still remains that it'd be offensive to Minmatar unless there's a damn good reason he has it. I try to play Anslo as a very culturally aware person. He doesn't just adopt a culture for funsies. He studied and learns about it and respects it, same with the Matari. He wouldn't just get the tattoo because he thought it would make him a cool kid.

For the Minmatar RP'ers, what would constitute a justifiable reason for Anslo having one? In my mind, I had a story idea where he met with a guy/girl who was apparently supposed to be a the next shaman of his particular clan/family, but just couldn't do it because he was much much younger and in his mind, the life of a shaman didn't appeal to him. This leads to the person and Anslo talking and forming a bond before Anslo convinces the would-be shaman to return and help his folks.

The other (maybe more realistic story) would be a mark of protection. After ditching the Fed FW scene (and what happened to him) and hiding himself, he tried to find a shaman while he was still lucid/peaceful/willing to seek help. They two discussed things for a long time, leading to Anslo staying with said shaman and learning from them about how to calm his mind (as he was damn near psycho during his early years post-Fed FW). This culminated in Anslo learning how to do this and taking his leave from the shaman to keep travelling and learning about the people in New Eden. Before leaving, the shaman gave him a protective mark/tattoo specific to his tribe as a parting gift.

Sooo....?

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
« Reply #36 on: 29 Apr 2013, 11:26 »

I don't think either of those would really qualify as significant to get given a tattoo as an outsider, even assuming a tribe/clan had "friends of the tribe/clan" tattoos. They're both on a very small, individual level, rather than clan-wide. I'd expect such tattoos, if they exist at all, to not be awarded for a single isolated event (unless that event was massive scale, like saving an entire clan from certain destruction, etc), but rather for years of positive interaction with a clan to the point that they become "part of the family". If you've read Ava's stories, the John character for example is more the kind of character I'd see getting one--an outsider who chooses to live among a clan for years and basically becomes part of that clan in all but name.
« Last Edit: 29 Apr 2013, 11:32 by Samira Kernher »
Pages: 1 2 [3]