Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That the Wolves of Pator rescued and freed 5,000 slaves as a wedding gift for Evanda Char?

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Question about IC/OOC did I cross line?  (Read 9729 times)

Sabbott

• Clonejack
Question about IC/OOC did I cross line?
« on: 31 Aug 2010, 22:27 »

Preface:

firstly I had a question for the community as a whole, I been lurking around here since I clicked link to here a few days ago, always thought the OOC channel was enough but I guess I can see this forum useful as well.

First let me put to rest, as short as possible, that I don't believe I am the best roleplayer. even though I have been doing it since before I even knew what the internet was. I make mistakes often and try to own up to them and improve myself and work with others, I'm reasonable and open minded, I'm here to have fun. thats why i roleplay to have fun.

I play an evil aligned character, But try to keep good virtue's or what he/she would think where good... at least honesty, truth, humility. and try to always stick to my word. even if cruel and ruthless or following a twisted faith and a pirate cult, I try to live by my ideals  and words and detest those who don't follow what they preach or stand for, those who aren't honest, truthful, And i think bigots and deceitful people are vile, and the lowest of scum

=============================

So down to the point of post and poll.. I saw that thread on IGS the other night, the "MERDE-ENOUGH and the FABULOUS FORUM WAR" one, As an Inquisitor, Sabbott is weary and investigates things, I am not new to IGS and seen much drama's.  

I viewed the link of the image, and looked around the forums to see who this person could be, I couldn't believe it when all results pointed towards Jade Constantine. A character with high ideals, who was vocal against such things,  At first I thought I would keep it to myself. But anything on IGS thats not in the signature I thought was fair game...  and could be explained IC how it was traced..

So i made my post of my findings, and follow ups, calling her out on this, I mean it could of been kept private by posting on any anonymous file server, tinypic, imageshack...instead of her private server,  if it was really important to keep this character separate from the main identity for propaganda purposes. which i have nothing against.

So did I cross the line by RP "tracing the image node" etc. ?
« Last Edit: 31 Aug 2010, 22:33 by Sabbott »

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran
Re: Question about IC/OOC did I cross line?
« Reply #1 on: 31 Aug 2010, 22:35 »

I dont think so.  Its something you noticed "in game", and approached it as a character would. You are playing an inquisitor after all. 
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
― Isaac Asimov

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #2 on: 31 Aug 2010, 22:36 »

yeah, seems pretty clear cut to me. No line crossage at all.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Jakiin

• Sorceror of Semantic
  • Wetgraver
« Reply #3 on: 31 Aug 2010, 22:48 »

Seems IC to me. It makes sense that Galnet would operate similarly if not identically to the internet (Which is, at the end of the day just a bunch of computers networked together and a pretty basic principle) so things like hosting images at private servers would still be something to call.

[mod]Aspersions against another player, possible flame-bait and/or trolling moved.[/mod]
« Last Edit: 01 Sep 2010, 15:53 by Ciarente »

Kazzzi

• Egger
« Reply #4 on: 31 Aug 2010, 22:55 »

I thought it was pretty damn clever of you. Very inquisitory.

Myrhial Arkenath

• Omelette
  • One does not simply walk into Curse.
    • Diary of a Pod Pilot
« Reply #5 on: 01 Sep 2010, 01:34 »

If you do an half-assed attempt and it fails, you deserve to be called out for it. If you can do that IC, even better. Nice find.

CEO of Ghost Festival :: Executor of Naraka.
Diary of a Pod Pilot

Rodj Blake

• Egger
  • Amarr Victor Meldrew
« Reply #6 on: 01 Sep 2010, 04:43 »

As I think I suggested in the IGS thread, you can explain image-hosting in IC terms as using a comms relay from the pilot to the Galnet.

If someone has access to a private relay, then you can conclude that there's a connection between them and the owner

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #7 on: 01 Sep 2010, 08:19 »

You say you're not the best roleplayer. I submit that, even though it's not exactly a ranked hobby, you're doing it a damn sight better than you might realize.

Sabbott

• Clonejack
« Reply #8 on: 01 Sep 2010, 09:42 »

Thanks everyone for the feedback, Just wanted to say,  when its suggested I might of taken a mistep in RP I try to get feedback OOC as I am pretty reasonable and not out to ruin anyone's fun, and finally i try never to step over established boundary's most know exist between IC/OOC divide ...

Edit: thats one of the reasons I am weary to get on voice with roleplay folk till i know them well ooc OR just my excuse i use cause its weird but unless i know person i feel shy talking to peeps hehe  :) or just afriad of being made look like a fool like these peeps http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiLOyszU8dI

And thanks Casiella for compliment!  
« Last Edit: 01 Sep 2010, 09:56 by Sabbott »

Jade Constantine

• Anarchist Adventurer
  • Omelette
  • Nothing ever burns down by itself
    • The Star Fraction Communications Portal
« Reply #9 on: 01 Sep 2010, 10:55 »

[mod]Please avoid over-generalization, tarring-with-same-brush etc, as it's inflammatory and unhelpful.[/mod]

Just as obviously I do not.

The consequence is that I have no continuing interest in roleplaying with your character because I don't believe a roleplayer should be forced to rent multiple web-server domains to provide "IC" separation.

It's just a taste thing. Either we agree and find an acceptable medium of involvement or we disagree and do not roleplay with each ever in a consensual fashion. In this case I'll doubtless respond to you on forums and in space as I would with anyone - but I have no continuing interest in private discussions or anything that involves me "trusting" your motives as a player.
« Last Edit: 01 Sep 2010, 15:56 by Ciarente »

There are some arenas so corrupt that the only clean acts possible are nihilistic

Lillith Blackheart

• Pod Captain
« Reply #10 on: 01 Sep 2010, 10:58 »

The consequence is that I have no continuing interest in roleplaying with your character because I don't believe a roleplayer should be forced to rent multiple web-server domains to provide "IC" separation.

Why would you have to rent multiple web-server domains when Photobucket and Imageshack exist for something you intended to use as a one-or-two-off setup?

I would suggest what he did was fine, and not because of who the target was, if I got hit by it I'd think it was fine too.

I suggest it's fine because there are easy workarounds that are very quick, very simple, and cost nothing but two seconds of your time to register for.

Jade Constantine

• Anarchist Adventurer
  • Omelette
  • Nothing ever burns down by itself
    • The Star Fraction Communications Portal
« Reply #11 on: 01 Sep 2010, 11:13 »

Simple answer is I don't think I should have too.

*snip*

I guess it comes from my LARP history where you often player different characters that look the same(ish) with different costumes because its fundimentally the same player.

The polite thing is to ask (ooc is that x or y) if you are confused. Not to go right ahead and schedule an assassination for y because the character happens to be played by the same player as x.

There is a limit to detective work and metagaming where it comes corrosive to the notion of any ic/ooc divide at all.

*snip*

At the end of the day its just a thing. We move on and now backstage is informed that I (as a player) consider people who try to link IGS identities by OOC webserver trace as not worth roleplaying with (in the personal one to one sense) - of course I'll still be very happy to roleplay with you with lasers and missiles in business as usual!
« Last Edit: 01 Sep 2010, 15:17 by Silver Night »

There are some arenas so corrupt that the only clean acts possible are nihilistic

Lillith Blackheart

• Pod Captain
« Reply #12 on: 01 Sep 2010, 11:17 »

Why shouldn't you have to? *snip*
« Last Edit: 01 Sep 2010, 16:03 by Silver Night »

Sabbott

• Clonejack
« Reply #13 on: 01 Sep 2010, 11:20 »

Jade, I did not mention anything we spoke of OOC with anyone, But i wanted for myself check with the eve roleplay community, And the best way is to ask the majority. if its clear cut then I'll sleep at night knowing i did nothing wrong, I roleplay to have fun, not to ruin anyone elses..  

and yes I host my forum sig on imageshack/tinypic, you don't even need to register for and they keep hosting it for free for years.. So don't see why you couldn't just take 5 seconds to post it there. if you wanted to separate the characters totally and avoid being "traced"

Also its a sad day as i told you when we spoke... that you'll avoid roleplaying with me over this...[mod] Please read the FAQ [/mod]  as i say I am reasonable and easy going.. I have no alternate motives to attack you. but i do stand by my ideals and virtue's as stated in original post.
« Last Edit: 01 Sep 2010, 16:07 by Ciarente »

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #14 on: 01 Sep 2010, 11:27 »

RP FTW. (Literally.)
Pages: [1] 2 3