Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The CBD megacorporation is a major importer/exporter in the State?

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]

Author Topic: Character names: History, reasons, etc.  (Read 86676 times)

Aedre Lafisques

• Terrible Caillian
  • Wetgraver
    • Aedre Logs. Writing
Re: Character names: History, reasons, etc.
« Reply #120 on: 28 Sep 2014, 20:50 »

Aedre is just a deliberate, as-far-as-I-know non-existing variant of 'Adrian'. On coms people struggle with it more than I could have imagined - I actually thought I was picking something comparatively simple and automatically French-sounding - oops!! D: I had no idea these are actually really weird morphemes for most. Well, that was ignorant.

So while it wasn't the wisest of choices (not to mention alphabetical primaries), it's certainly been enlightening: Most people have, by consensus, decided to call him A-dree, and I guess I've gotten used to it even though I dislike it most out of all the guesses! I'm not about to interject in official coms business to correct a pronunciation, I don't really waste the effort in real life, either - it usually doesn't stick anyway.  But for the record it should be something like /e:dʀə/ -- or something in that neighborhood. Ay-druh or Aydur is pretty close ones I've heard, too.
--There are probably as many ways to interpret that cluster of letters as there are people in New Eden from what I've heard, so I'm over it (laugh~)

As for 'Lafisques', it's an EVE-generated name. I can't remember if I modified it at all, but I did want something deliberately that would be a fairly common name - and I do see it around. I'd like to imagine it has a 'fiscal' etymology to it. It'll at least be ironic, right? I see it enough that canonically I have it so the Lafisques have been around a really long time (like Garoun long), so that it's sort of unlikely he knows any of them if it comes up. :p
Hangout Channel: Gallente Lounge

Lyn Farel

« Reply #121 on: 29 Sep 2014, 12:38 »

Would probably be pronounced ah-ay-dr in french. and Lah-fee-sk. Except if you pronounce the ending "e" as well, but we generally don't.

Jikahr

• Egger
  • Grumpy Cat Amarr
« Reply #122 on: 29 Sep 2014, 13:01 »

In 'Canadian' English, I would say 'Air-dray'.
Currently training Verbosity to level V.

Aedre Lafisques

• Terrible Caillian
  • Wetgraver
    • Aedre Logs. Writing
« Reply #123 on: 04 Oct 2014, 17:28 »

In 'Canadian' English, I would say 'Air-dray'.

That's what I was initially expecting more from English speakers, but this is probably because I'm also in Canada. So good jorb, I feel a bit better that it's not me specifically (laugh). It's not just Americans though, before anybody jumps on that, a guy from the Ukraine 'rees' it too.

Would probably be pronounced ah-ay-dr in french. and Lah-fee-sk. Except if you pronounce the ending "e" as well, but we generally don't.

My intent was to have the A and e pronounced together more or less, and as for the mostly-silent e at the end, I don't know how to explain it to anyone, but the one French guy on coms was fine, so we're probably in agreement :P Maybe it's just the type of R that makes me think one kind of hears the ə sound a little bit? It's intended to be a single flap r.

I'm in not-France, so trying to talk about the particulars from the constraints of my foreign French is likely to cause trouble :p

And, it doesn't matter for anyone too much from an RP perspective; the spread of attempts is super likely. It's very quickly just become part of the IC development of the culture shock (laugh)
Hangout Channel: Gallente Lounge

Charles Cambridge Schmidt

• Professional Sperg
  • Wetgraver
  • Federalista
« Reply #124 on: 04 Oct 2014, 21:43 »

I didn't know about anything involving the lore of EVE, and all I heard was that the Federation was just Space France/Britian/America. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Drones are pretty cool, I guess.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #125 on: 05 Oct 2014, 03:57 »

My intent was to have the A and e pronounced together more or less, and as for the mostly-silent e at the end, I don't know how to explain it to anyone, but the one French guy on coms was fine, so we're probably in agreement :P Maybe it's just the type of R that makes me think one kind of hears the ə sound a little bit? It's intended to be a single flap r.

I'm in not-France, so trying to talk about the particulars from the constraints of my foreign French is likely to cause trouble :p

And, it doesn't matter for anyone too much from an RP perspective; the spread of attempts is super likely. It's very quickly just become part of the IC development of the culture shock (laugh)

The e is just suggested at best. But yeah it's silent. Much like the '-su' in japanese is (gozaimasu, desu, itadakimasu, etc) if i'm not mistaken.

You won't find any difference for example in how it is pronounced between 'bel' and its feminine form 'belle', much like you won't find any difference between the feminine noun 'citadelle' and the adjective 'accidentel'. I know you can force the difference if you want to be extremely formal or poetic or something, but... Tbh I understand a few of the rules and etymology/roots behind, but most are above me. I just know they matter a lot contrary to english where pronunciation is not linked to how words are written.

As for the 'Ae' at the beginning, there is nothing alike in french but you will occasionally find it in foreign words, so I don't think there is a correct way to say it. Anyway with use and repeating it again and again I am pretty sure it would start to be pronounced "ay" instead of "ah-ay". What makes the name looks french however, is really the e at the end. While silent in french, it's extremely typical of the language.

Larzzral

• Clonejack
« Reply #126 on: 15 Oct 2014, 04:04 »

My character's name is Intayazz Windayack {in-tae-AZ, win-DAE-ak}. I made it up fifteen years ago when I was a wee lad, after watching Roughnecks: Starship Troopers Chronicles. I figured it sounded like a name that they would have.

I've used it across Everquest, WoW, Elder Scrolls III-V and so many more, in the last fifteen years, yet only Eve players in the last few years have asked if it's a joke name for in-the-ass... No it isn't! Haha.

Arkon Sarain

• Egger
« Reply #127 on: 24 Mar 2015, 21:45 »

Seeing as this is a diverting topic, and will help keep me from doing work for a bit I figured I should reply :D

I went with Arkon as it was a former Emperor's name (Arkon Ardishapur), and I worked on the assumption that such names would be popular among commoners. I also enjoyed the Greek reference ἄρχων or Arkhon meaning 'lord' or 'ruler.' So a bit of in-universe reasoning and out-of-universe reasoning :D
« Last Edit: 24 Mar 2015, 21:47 by Arkon Sarain »

Utari Onzo

« Reply #128 on: 25 Mar 2015, 00:25 »

Before I played eve I played ALOT of Mount and Blade including the senjuko mod. I liked the name 'Utari' from the northern Japanese people, rolled a Civire because focused aggression sounded cool and the first ge generated family mame that popped up was Onzo. It worked and I went for it. All connections to Hattori Hanzo are purely coincidental.

I wish i could change a character's bloodline however :'(

Kellina Galloway

• Clonejack
« Reply #129 on: 20 Jul 2015, 18:09 »

I have been using Kellina in game for years. Every game I play the main character's name is always Kellina. When I came to play EVE I saw that I could have a last name, so I used Galloway, because it was a variation of Galway, which is my favorite city in Ireland.

Not very interesting, but that is how I got my name.

Teinyhr

• Wetgraver
« Reply #130 on: 26 Nov 2015, 17:18 »

Amalgamation of two usernames I used well over 10 years ago. I'm not exactly sure where the Tein part actually originates from anymore but "yhr" part means uh, literally loosely translated "the solitary knight." so actually it is an acronym that I for some reason thought would fit in well with "Tein." Today my cobbled-together character name is one of my biggest regrets in EVE.

Loai

• Clonejack
« Reply #131 on: 25 Feb 2017, 22:57 »

I went through a series of trial accounts over the course of a few years before I actually subscribed with a long-term character (this was when a two-week trial was all you got). One of them was QRL Loai, with QRL being a complete asspull on lore; supposedly it signified her home planet and hanger-on sub-nobility status of her family. Didn't have much time to flesh her out IC, but her portrait was the most amazingly snooty thing you've ever seen and I got attached pretty much solely in that regard.

Now a proper resident of New Eden, the Loai part stayed. QRL turned to Qerl, and she's still hanger-on sub-nobility. People have a lot of trouble figuring out how to pronounce Qerl.

Mikinn

• Clonejack
  • Don't fly unless you're ready to die
« Reply #132 on: 06 Mar 2019, 23:09 »

I've been on an Old Norse kick recently because my moms side of the family is Norwegian, so I looked through the dictionary until I found a word I felt like fit the way I imagined her balls-to-the-walls, fly-girl, personality - Mikinn - it means both hard and fast. (they probably meant the fast as in unmoving, but hey, poetic license and either way is still a pretty cool name) On a sidenote, I later learned while researching lore, that the Sebiestor tend toward Nordic style names. I thought that was a fun coincidence.
Just me and my ship, the stars, and the void between. And all those other a**holes.

Aergri Evingod

• Clonejack
« Reply #133 on: 13 Mar 2019, 13:41 »

Before choosing a user name I did the collection of characters in the minmatar republic system names. The "gr" digraph and that triconsonant combinations in system names appear stuck and after some toying I started to like Aergri.

Evingod was provided by the name generator.

Azazel Drakonis

• Clonejack
« Reply #134 on: 27 Mar 2019, 10:10 »

I always liked the name Azazel and after looking into it, decided to adopt it. Drakonis, my unhealthy obsession with Dragons. Also, I had to keep the surname to match my main at the time, Akatosh, chief deity of the Divines from Skyrim. So they're almost opposite each other. One devil, one divine.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]