Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

that hovercraft are common vehicles on stations? (p. 88)

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Signs you play Eve too much ((and some lols for everyone else))  (Read 7301 times)

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV

Think I'm more addicted to the people than to EVE itself

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.

Singing along to 'I kissed a girl' while driving, and only when your colleague looks at you funny you realize you've been singing "I robbed a goon and I liked it". I've also told my colleague to 'fly safe' and while I was on a plane I briefly entertained the notion that if the pilot had a coronary or something, the autopilot would crash us 15 km from the airport.

Lillith Blackheart

• Pod Captain

Because it was completely broken and horribly unbalanced and not only did Blizzard never bother to fix it the first time around they decided to go "Eh! *shrug*" and make it worse during the expansion?

There's a reason everyone always played Zerg competitively.
* Dex_Kivuli nerd rages

Starcraft is balanced enough, that's why it's stayed popular for as long as it has. And I just checked the top 20 rankings in South Korea: 8 Terran; 6 Protoss; and 6 Zerg.

South Koreans don't count. They are robots.

As for everyone else: I spent a great deal of time working as a proctor for the CPL and WCL or whatever the fuck it was. In doing so I got to watch a great deal of matches, and got a much different fundamental understanding of how things inter-related in the game.

The game was not "balanced enough". The game was not "balanced". It was horribly lopsided, and the expansion made it worse. The Zerg were much faster, they were capable of much larger swarms of units, so the fact that their units was weaker wasn't relevant, as their units were 2/3 as strong as the Terrans and  1/2 as strong as the Protoss, but they took 1/3 the time to acquire, giving them a strength-in-numbers advantage of fairly epic proportions. Also their research took less time and their units were considerably less resource intensive.

This game was not "balanced enough" it wasn't even balanced a little bit.

Zerg were the primary victors. No one used anyone but the Zerg unless they had already mastered the game. This is why South Koreans don't count in this. They had mastered the game to a level where they were practically computers running the AI.

Furthermore, the game comes down to one fundamental concept "He who clicks most wins."

The proctoring software used gives a breakdown after every game of various statistics, one of the more interesting ones being number of mouseclicks. The player with 1.5-2x the mouseclicks of the opponent won the game 100% of the time.

"Skill"? Pshaw. Faster LMB finger.

GoGo Yubari

• Omelette

The proctoring software used gives a breakdown after every game of various statistics, one of the more interesting ones being number of mouseclicks. The player with 1.5-2x the mouseclicks of the opponent won the game 100% of the time.

"Skill"? Pshaw. Faster LMB finger.

I don't know about the balance issue (you kinda insinuated yourself that it's balanced once you've mastered the game) because I'm not an expert on the game, but what you said about mouseclicks is the reason I generally don't like the whole RTS genre.

At a lower difficulty level, the games are way too easy and there really isn't any gameplay involved - you just go through the motions. However, once you crank up the difficulty it seems I lose out due to a lacking quickness in mouse operation. So much for "strategy" in RTS.

But the games seem to interest plenty of folks in multiplayer matches and I'm not going to say there's no skill involved there. I just find difficult getting into these games because the basic gameplay challenges don't seem very satisfying to myself.

Lillith Blackheart

• Pod Captain

I don't know about the balance issue (you kinda insinuated yourself that it's balanced once you've mastered the game)

It's not balanced if you have to spend years of gametime in order to find ways that you can overcome the advantages of other races by exploiting things. That's not balance, that's user ingenuity.

Lillith Blackheart

• Pod Captain

Addendum:

that's why it's stayed popular for as long as it has

I hate this phrase. I hate this phrase with all of its illogical and falacious implications.

Quality has absolutely fuck all to do with popularity. If it did then Britney Spears would never have become popular, and the most popular movies of all time would be things like Citizen Kane and not Titanic. (Edit: And Psychunauts would have been the most popular game ever and not completely lost to oblivion)

Using popularity as a metric for quality level of any sort, whether it be "game balance" "aesthetics" or "artistic nature" is made entirely of fail.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.

So, um, yeah, EVE not Starcraft. Reminds me of You may play too much EVE if...

Alysianna Starbow

• Clonejack

When on the rifle range doing training with my Army unit, I actually caught myself saying 'point' before shooting sometimes.

Thankfully, my squadmates thought I was just keeping score or something.

Z.Sinraali

• Pod Captain
  • You're a Jovian spy, aren't you?

When on the rifle range doing training with my Army unit, I actually caught myself saying 'point' before shooting sometimes.

Thankfully, my squadmates thought I was just keeping score or something.

Hahaha. If only you could keep them from dropping that way.
The assumption that other people are acting in good faith is the single most important principle underpinning human civilization.

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr

When these horrible children that shout slurs at random passing strangers ran by me yelling things, I grabbed on of them by the back of the shirt to yell at them and my first thought was "pointed and webbed"
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Vieve

This was pre-training queue.

I woke up in the middle of the night for no reason at all, logged in into eve and noticed a two week skill had finished 15 minutes earlier.

I've routinely done this with ME jobs.

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran

I've found myself saying "Aye" in real life conversation instead of yes.  Ive had to tell people its a relic of being in the Navy and saying "aye aye".
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
― Isaac Asimov

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.

When I joined EVE, I got laughed at for saying "aye aye" and such instead of "roger."

Benjamin Shepherd

You guys really do play too much. Like, really. I am at a loss for words.

* Benjamin Shepherd leaves the thread before he gets modraped

Dex_Kivuli

• Dex 2.11b
  • Egger

* Benjamin Shepherd leaves the thread before he gets modraped

No one had point?!
Pages: 1 [2] 3