Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Sansha Kuvakei was an industrial mogul before founding his Nation? Moar here.

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Language writing systems  (Read 5007 times)

Mithfindel

• (a.k.a. Axel Kurki)
  • Pod Captain
Re: Language writing systems
« Reply #15 on: 12 Aug 2010, 06:48 »

I'm not sure about the source, but as far as I understand, it has been silently retconned that all Minmatar were not caught by the Amarr. The timeline mentioned that on the Day of Darkness the Amarr conquered only Matar and for some unknown reason left other planets and systems alone. It is worth to remember that despite unable to bridge the gap into new systems, the Matari were very advanced before the Amarr came - they even had achieved a global state before the Amarr had conquered the whole of Athra.

I do dislike the current revision of the Day of Darkness, but the spirit makes sense - that the Amarr conquered only the main settlements of the Minmatar, and while they were taking over the rest, the Minmatar managed to capture, reverse engineer or invent a working warp drive. This means that while most were eventually enslaved, some Minmatar managed to struggle on the outskirts of civilization. Where "some" reads "millions", considering the scale of EVE. The Amarr took over them as they went, and the Minmatar were likely pushing deeper and deeper into cosmos - most colonized planets, though this may have also given birth to the Thukker way of life. This is likely made more possible by the fact that, in my opinion, Amarr fleets were likely built mainly to support capturing worlds and supporting ground warfare, not to hold space superiority (and thus, the Minmatar could keep a guerrilla running in hard-to-reach colonies as their blockade runners could outrun the Amarr). The Amarr answer, at first, was cruisers. Only later they started making frigates (with the Impairor being one of the first tries of a "modern" small spaceship).

As a conclusion, while the majority of the Minmatar were ruled either directly by the Amarr or by Nefantar collaborators, some were never slaves. It may be that some "peaceful" worlds with light Amarr presence even had clandestine dealings with the rebels. However, this would have been rare, as while there may have been millions of rebels at any given time, there were billions of enslaved or collaborating Minmatar, and thus the effect of the Minmatar resistance was minimal - until they made contact with the Gallente Federation.

Ulphus

• Bitter dried flower
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #16 on: 12 Aug 2010, 17:32 »

I'm not sure about the source, but as far as I understand, it has been silently retconned that all Minmatar were not caught by the Amarr.

Interesting. If anyone knows where that comes from, I'd really appreciate a link.

I've been sort of playing that a lot of the Matari culture stuff is based on corrupted, half-forgotten, much-repeated, changed and recovered, just plain invented stuff that the cultural reclaimers are trying to pretend is part of an unbroken chain, but is mostly about forming a cultural glue to try to make the Matari more of a unified people.  I'm not sure that wouldn't still be likely if some Matari had managed to avoid slavery.

Back to script, I wonder what English script will look like after a thousand years of computers... the time scales in Eve, and indeed the population numbers, are much greater than we have examples for in our real world, and yet our world has enormous variety and diversity. I wouldn't be surprised to see each long term settled world having subtly different language and script even if nominally in the same culture/language group of their particular area.

I suspect the biggest influence will be the companies who were making computer displays/word processors in the last few hundred years, and the scripts their graphic designers chose.

I bet the Federation standard script includes emoticons. :D

Adult to 4y.o "Your shoes are on the wrong feet"
Long pause
4y.o to adult, in plaintive voice "I don't have any other feet!"

Mithfindel

• (a.k.a. Axel Kurki)
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #17 on: 13 Aug 2010, 01:37 »

From the EVE timeline:

AD 22480
The Amarr escalate their slave raids into a war of conquest against the Minmatar, invade and conquer Matar, leave other worlds alone for the time being

AD 23180
First contact between Gallente and Amarr

AD 23210
The Gallente and the Amarr reach the Gallente-Amarr Free Trade Agreement of 23210.

AD 23216
The Amarr conquer the Eanna planet in the Hror system.
The Amarr-Jove war takes place, in which the Amarr are crushed.
The Minmatar Rebellion takes place

Planet Eanna is mentioned because it's mentioned in Theodicy. I might be jumping wildly into conclusions, but the order of things seems to indicate to me that the scenario I suggested might be possible. (Also, in the Theodicy, Amarr were mentioned taking systems at a pace that was alarming to the Gallente - but that fails to explain what the hell they did with the almost 800 years they had since taking Matar, so that'd likely need to be stretched over a longer time frame, say system a year or so. That'd still be 36 systems taken since Gallente contact, something that would've been very worrying to the early Federation which was not as big as it is now.)

http://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/Timeline
« Last Edit: 13 Aug 2010, 01:39 by Mithfindel »
Pages: 1 [2]