Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That small colony hangars cannot have comprehensive hangar security systems due to the need to scramble forces quickly? (The Burning Life p. 78)

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: EVE Dev Headcounts  (Read 5095 times)

IzzyChan

• Omelette
  • 20% cooler in 10 seconds flat
    • IzzyBlog
Re: EVE Dev Headcounts
« Reply #15 on: 19 Jul 2010, 07:31 »

Back in the day the early mmos weren't just about pure combat.  It could be a refreshing change to mindless pew pew now and again. 

Vikarion

« Reply #16 on: 19 Jul 2010, 17:33 »

CCP's development type seems to be "build a solid foundation, then build on top of it" for better or for worse.

Sarcasm, right?

Please?

Please let this be sarcasm.  :mad:

Lillith Blackheart

• Pod Captain
« Reply #17 on: 19 Jul 2010, 17:53 »

No, it's not sarcasm. It's how they do stuff. They build a solid foundation, then they build up from there. You may not agree with how they build up, or you may not agree with the foundation, I know that I have my differences with many of their decisions. . .

But that's still how they do things.

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #18 on: 19 Jul 2010, 18:17 »

No, it's not sarcasm. It's how they do stuff. They build a solid foundation, then they build up from there. You may not agree with how they build up, or you may not agree with the foundation, I know that I have my differences with many of their decisions. . .

But that's still how they do things.

No Lilith, that isn't how it works, yes, they build the foundation, but then, like a child with ADHD, they abandon the foundation to start on a new project.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Alexander Rykis

« Reply #19 on: 19 Aug 2010, 14:46 »

Ok ok ok ok... Seriously.

Here is the gist of the problem:

CCP is more concerned with their six-month expansion cycle than fixing currently broken game mechanics. They basically rush to shit out an expansion, release it and then immediately start work on another expansion. The only problem is that the expansions are filled with bugs and shit that needs to be fixed, which is to be expected. However, they allocate a very very small group of devs to fix current problems and put everyone else on the new things. This has been going over like a fart in church for some time now among the player base.

Which brings me to the business standpoint. When you make a post asking your player base to vote for your game and you get 80 pages of replies telling you to go fuck yourself, maybe you should re-think how you're approaching the game.

Problems:

-Python coding SUCKSSSSSSSSS and they're just trying to fix it with duck tape.
-Current coding and server capacity essentially protects the major powerblocs, because you can't use the full strength of your navy and if you reduce your numbers, you give them control of the grid.
-FW mechanics are horribly broken.
-0.0 PLEX's are broken
-Insurance is still pointless
-PI is broken... people are making more money off of the people doing PI than people doing PI are making.
-There are lots of bugs in the index/sov system that need to be addressed because... well upgrades ain't cheap, son.
-Invisible aggro timers on low sec gates and stations. Your GCC runs out so you undock, only to get shot at and get another 15 minutes.
-Aggression timers in general, suck
-There are still lvl 4 missions in low sec. Wtf
-FIX THE GODDAMN BONUSES ON THE NAGLFAR!
-Make blasters useful
-Make the Eos useful
-Fix Gallente ships in general
-Make the firetail have a purpose

... this is all I can think of atm, but this is a good start to the laundry list of shit that's wrong. I mean, how many years ago did they release FW? And they STILL haven't fixed any of the bugs. They released it and forgot about it.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #20 on: 19 Aug 2010, 18:56 »

You seem to have confused fixes players care about (blasters, FW, aggro timers) with the technical nitty-gritty of how to fix them (Python).

If you think they're taking too long now, imagine what would happen if they removed the scripting language upon which so much of the game is based.

Alexander Rykis

« Reply #21 on: 20 Aug 2010, 04:18 »

Oh no I understand the difference. The overall source of the flaw is the horrible coding used and the time it's been around. Now there's just soooooooo much coding, there's no way to go in and rewrite it without fucking all of it up. So they just write new stuff and plug it in.

Julianus Soter

• Pod Captain
« Reply #22 on: 20 Aug 2010, 07:03 »

I can't possibly relate to most of those points. Insurance is essentially free money created from nothing when a ship is blown up. Very handy to have money have that happen. You only insure ships likely to be destroyed in high-risk operations, and it allows you to take more risks with the ships you own. It's a subsidy to PVP.

The Naglfar bonuses have been played around with. People still use them.

Why are you complaining about level 4 missions in lowsec again? It at the very least forces people to take a break from mission grind sprees and possibly even *gasp* quelle horreur leave highsec for once.

Aggression timers limit stupid tag-and-jump tactics. It's too easy to activate a stargate or dock. we need the timers to enable retaliation.

Alexander Rykis

« Reply #23 on: 20 Aug 2010, 14:11 »

It's not free money, you have to pay for it.

People still use the Naglfar, yes. But it still doesn't change the fact that the ship forces you to use a split weapons system and only gives a bonus to one.

I, personally, don't give a fuck about missions in low sec. There people who do, though. And lvl 4s are supposed to be high sec and lvl 5s are supposed to be in low sec.

And I know the reasons for having aggression timers. Yes I think they are a good thing. Stop arguing for the sake of arguing and pay attention to what I said please. I said the mechanics are broken. You shoot at someone, go GCC and go dock to wait 15 minutes. The 15 minutes run out, an aggression timer is no longer shown, so you undock and BOOM... station guns shoot at you and you now have another 15 minutes of GCC. We called invisible aggro and normally end up having to wait 5 minutes or something after GCC runs out to make sure this happens. But, there's no real way to tell and it doesn't always work because the mechanics are broken.

This isn't me bitching. These, along with everything else I listed and more, are all things that other players have mentioned too.

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #24 on: 20 Aug 2010, 14:20 »

Unless you've seen the code and have kept up with their internal refactoring activity, I don't think we can make such assertions.

Senn Typhos

• Pod Captain
  • Strong, Silent Type
« Reply #25 on: 20 Aug 2010, 16:24 »

You can't please everyone.

And all those people are playing this game.
An important reminder for Placid RPers

One day they woke me up
So I could live forever
It's such a shame the same
Will never happen to you

Alexander Rykis

« Reply #26 on: 20 Aug 2010, 17:39 »

You can't please everyone.

And all those people are playing this game.

Because it doesn't really cost any $$$. If CCP did away with buying game time in-game, there would be a mass exodus of people leaving.

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #27 on: 20 Aug 2010, 19:27 »

Well, they still get their money. And yes, there was a time when the ONLY reason I could play EVE was due to PLEX. Lots of those who'd leave wouldn't simply do so due to perceived quality issues but due to RL financial constraints. Capsuleers don't have to worry about unemployment or school or medical bills. ;)

Alexander Rykis

« Reply #28 on: 20 Aug 2010, 20:14 »

I agree...

But many would leave too because this game is growing to the point where it wouldn't be worth paying money for. I know myself and many of my friends only still play because of PLEX. If they started charging money for it, I wouldn't stick around.
Pages: 1 [2]