Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Caldari State is made up of eight mega-corporations and has three major political factions?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: CCP finally sells out fully (literally).  (Read 12312 times)

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
Re: CCP finally sells out fully (literally).
« Reply #30 on: 11 Dec 2018, 01:10 »

Has the sky fallen yet?
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Ukeko Ahrzi

• Clonejack
« Reply #31 on: 11 Dec 2018, 03:38 »

Has the sky fallen yet?

Nothing's noticeably changed yet. But the same people who complain about everything are still complaining about whatever twitches.

So yeah, nothing's changed.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #32 on: 11 Dec 2018, 04:14 »

Nothing's noticeably changed except for several recent events and changes where CCP is desperately trying to boost active player numbers and subcounts for some of that delicious Korean bonus dick, you mean? Significant changes to highsec safety, more blatant log-in bait etc? The sky is starting to crack and split, yes.

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
  • Shes mad but shes magic, theres no lie in her fire
« Reply #33 on: 11 Dec 2018, 06:55 »

I still don't understand why people are so opposed to CCP making money. My god, it's almost like they're a business.

"Eve roleplayers scare me." - The Mittani

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
« Reply #34 on: 11 Dec 2018, 07:33 »

You are perfectly aware that literally no one has complained about CCP making money. There isn't a soul on these boards that have or ever would be opposed to that. Why do you feel the need to twist things that way, with that kind of strawman?

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
« Reply #35 on: 11 Dec 2018, 08:45 »

CCP is desperately trying to boost active player numbers and subcounts for some of that delicious Korean bonus dick

I am strawman-ing so hard right now.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
« Reply #36 on: 11 Dec 2018, 09:01 »

Correct, you very much are. Quite literally no one has complained about CCP making or wanting to make money. It's the means they have decided to utilize with that goal in mind that is the issue, and you know that quite well. Not only a strawman, but quite a disingenuous one at that.

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
« Reply #37 on: 11 Dec 2018, 09:08 »

So is your problem with the ends or the means?

I'm genuinely curious because your posting seems to be attacking both. You're angry at the changes CCP have made to the game in order to try and boost subscriber numbers. CCP have made these changes (partly) because they need good financial metrics in order to get their bonuses from PA.

Would you be less angry if CCP had made these changes without PA in the picture?

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
« Reply #38 on: 11 Dec 2018, 09:23 »

Why would I give a fuck if CCP earns money or gets to gargle Korean Bonus Dick? My posting is clear as glass: The shit they pull in order to suckle on that dick is the problem. The motivation for the shit changes being greed rather than just incompetence does add a layer of 'fuck you' to it all, but again: Literally no one, no one has complained about anyone making money. What we have seen though from CCP are several changes and priority shifts that are so blatantly targeted towards short term numbers bloat rather than healthy game changes, and that is what's earning complaints.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #39 on: 11 Dec 2018, 11:43 »

It might be that there are short term vs long term ways to generate growth?

I don't want to speak too much for Miz but I imagine they are upset at the sort of zany game changes designed to prime the pump short term for specific cash reasons rather than spending time and energy to fix long term growth issues and ensure stability in the future?

It's sort of like when a private equity firm buys into a company and squeezes it dry for its delicious assets and then pays themselves massive bonuses and ejects before the withered husk dies completely, leaving everyone else in the lurch.

Ta-Da!

:P

By the by I certainly don't think the sky is falling I'm more interested in an academic sense; I don't think any of the recent actions or mergers / sellouts whatever are much different than the path things have been on for years.  More of a steady slow drip than a sudden jump off a cliff, if that makes sense.

This is all super interesting and complicated, how do you keep something interesting and busy for TEN + years? How and when do you shake it up? Do you appeal more to your loyal base or do you pillage and try for new blood who are interested in very different methods of playing and time expenditure? EVE has a particular problem where super old super rich people have a lot of vested interest in not having their shit fucked with in any major way. Big changes to any of the underlying game systems that cut out their in game power in any way are big no no's for them.  Very difficult stuff.
« Last Edit: 11 Dec 2018, 11:52 by Silas Vitalia »

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #40 on: 11 Dec 2018, 12:05 »

Also in all seriousness if this thread isn't interesting or relevant to someone it might be more constructive to maybe just not read it or post snarky replies? I really don't see the point aside from shit stirring

MakotoPriano

• Wetgraver
« Reply #41 on: 11 Dec 2018, 12:42 »

I think a lot of the back-and-forth is due to disagreement over whether or to what degree the sky is falling.

In a general way, so long as EVE doesn't lose core elements of its identity, then efforts to increase retention or to promote activity are generally good practice. The source of the income-- whether PA, consumers, or historically other investors --doesn't really matter.

With the winter events, there's some stuff that's certainly aimed toward a revenue boost, but it's not exactly wringing the rag for every drop. The historical Christmas gifts are tied with logging in (I think that's happened before, so whatev; login bonuses aren't the devil); one of the gifts allows people to inject SP without loss of efficiency for a limited number of pokes (new, definitely is aimed at boosting the SP market, but doesn't materially change existing abilities); lastly, the log-in event has rewards for both alphas and omegas, and alphas that upgrade to omega can then get the omega rewards also. Aside from a bit of SP, most of the event rewards are aesthetic or small quantities of ammunition.

So, the usual holiday stuff has a new wrapper, and it's aimed at encouraging people to log in, subscribe, etc.

While we can certainly discuss the virtues of SP selling, my view is that so long as it's a 'pay money for convenience' thing instead of a 'pay money for an insurmountable advantage' thing, then meh. Whatev. The current Rorqual locusting in Delve is more of an issue for long-term game balance than SP selling. ;p

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #42 on: 11 Dec 2018, 12:55 »

Alternatively, there's just something to be said about baited hooks that some parties just can't resist biting. #gottem

I've been keeping an eye on things and haven't really noticed anything 'off' from the sidelines, though I will admit the "just log in to get free shit" event that started today had an eyebrow raised slightly—if only because BDO has attendance rewards. And then it promptly went back down when I remembered that EVE has done similar things before for the holiday season.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

MakotoPriano

• Wetgraver
« Reply #43 on: 11 Dec 2018, 12:57 »

Pretty much, Morlag. Log-in rewards are a thing in the industry, and not really nefarious. If anything, it's just using the customary holiday presents to incentivize behavior.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
« Reply #44 on: 11 Dec 2018, 13:14 »

Log-in rewards aren't nefarious? Just because something is ubiquitous doesn't make it any less manipulative and coaxing more log-ins through attendance rewards rather than making the actual game worth logging in to regardless of 'rewards' is pretty indicative of where the priorities are. A hint: Not quality, consumer benefits or long-term health of the game.

They're outright designed to tickle the addiction mechanics in people's brains, and that sort of callous manipulation leaves a bitter taste in my mouth.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5