Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The last time someone attacked the Jovians, it was the Amarr, at Vak'atioth, and the Amarr fleet was crushed?

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: If the USA was nuked, this is what you'd see on TV.  (Read 3526 times)

Benjamin Shepherd

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikwy6YfSR-o

No political crap please. Just describe how much your pants are spoiled.

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
Re: If the USA was nuked, this is what you'd see on TV.
« Reply #1 on: 05 Jul 2010, 11:53 »

that voice is scary, esp. with how some bits of the message don't seem to have the right intonation.

bit midway through goes something like "This missile will most likely impact the area in no more than 70 minutes. Take cover now."

The bit "Take cover now." doesn't seem to have the right emphasis.

There's another bit. "This will occur within the next 40 minutes. Get to shelter now." that's similar.
\o/

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: 05 Jul 2010, 12:43 »

They didn't mention Seattle, which seemed a little strange: we've got multiple major military facilities in the Puget Sound region, including a naval shipyard, sub pen (Tridents! Fun!), and air station. Boris Yeltsin, when he visited back in the '90s, remarked that in the event of a nuclear war, the whole region would have been a sea of glass (he kindly noted that the missiles are no longer pointed our way. Not sure where they're pointed, instead...).

Perhaps they just assumed that anybody in a major city should be taking cover whether they got a warning or not.

Yoshito Sanders

• Egger
« Reply #3 on: 05 Jul 2010, 16:25 »

I can't get over reading the user name as The EA Sexperience.

Lillith Blackheart

• Pod Captain
« Reply #4 on: 06 Jul 2010, 15:21 »

that voice is scary, esp. with how some bits of the message don't seem to have the right intonation.

bit midway through goes something like "This missile will most likely impact the area in no more than 70 minutes. Take cover now."

The bit "Take cover now." doesn't seem to have the right emphasis.

There's another bit. "This will occur within the next 40 minutes. Get to shelter now." that's similar.

That would be because it's a synthesized voice so that the alerts can happen unmanned.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #5 on: 06 Jul 2010, 16:15 »

Would have thought they can still record all the most important bits, and just leave the most uncertain variables for the synthesized voice.

Z.Sinraali

• Pod Captain
  • You're a Jovian spy, aren't you?
« Reply #6 on: 06 Jul 2010, 16:47 »

Yeah, if you follow the links to the guy's site, it's pretty much all made by him. Not official. I really can't see the gummint including the number of missiles or the term 'massive' in an actual EAS broadcast...
The assumption that other people are acting in good faith is the single most important principle underpinning human civilization.

Benjamin Shepherd

« Reply #7 on: 06 Jul 2010, 20:05 »

Everyone's a critic, I guess.

The fact that it's on YouTube and it's fan-made is awesome.

Lillith Blackheart

• Pod Captain
« Reply #8 on: 06 Jul 2010, 20:11 »

Also I wouldn't crap myself. I live about 60 miles from the nearest impact point, since the airforce base that was around here closed approximately 15 years ago, and therefore we're not a target.

I would go hide in the mountains somewhere (we have a lot here), and then go on about my business.

It may make me a horrible person, but I don't necessarily fully believe it would be a net loss.

lallara zhuul

• Now with rainbows and butterflies.
  • Veteran
« Reply #9 on: 07 Jul 2010, 05:19 »

Well.

As someone that has lived in the cold war era in a country that was basically in the smelly armpit of Soviet Union that did not reignite the cold dread that I used to wake up to when I was a kid.

For some reason it had the vibe of the old WarGames flick.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Mithfindel

• (a.k.a. Axel Kurki)
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #10 on: 07 Jul 2010, 10:49 »

Around here, we hear this every month on the first Monday at noon as a test. In a real danger situation, that would be running on repeat for a minute, followed by instructions. (At some places the siren is followed by "attention, this is a drill", but not always.

...and yes, we have a siren on top of the building my office is in, and some air raid shelters along the corridor (as my office is on lower floors). Used to work with an Italian chap, he was like "wait, what" on the shelters and a different kind of "wait, what" when he first head the sirens go off (a reaction somewhat spoiled by the fact that no one else did react to the siren in any way).
« Last Edit: 07 Jul 2010, 10:53 by Mithfindel »

Benjamin Shepherd

« Reply #11 on: 07 Jul 2010, 11:30 »

Also I wouldn't crap myself. I live about 60 miles from the nearest impact point, since the airforce base that was around here closed approximately 15 years ago, and therefore we're not a target.

I would go hide in the mountains somewhere (we have a lot here), and then go on about my business.

It may make me a horrible person, but I don't necessarily fully believe it would be a net loss.

Still not my point. It's supposed to be interesting, not requiring logic and serious debate about how you wouldn't care. It's just a youtube video, lol.

Kaleigh Doyle

« Reply #12 on: 07 Jul 2010, 11:45 »

Well, my pants are currently soiled, but perhaps its because I died somewhere in the middle of watching that it was so FUCKING LOOOONG.

Nascent

• Clonejack
« Reply #13 on: 07 Jul 2010, 13:52 »

For some reason the thing that stands out to me the most is that they hit Utah three times.

Lillith Blackheart

• Pod Captain
« Reply #14 on: 07 Jul 2010, 16:57 »

Still not my point. It's supposed to be interesting, not requiring logic and serious debate about how you wouldn't care. It's just a youtube video, lol.

Odd, for it not requiring statement of how I wouldn't care, it seemed like it was asking for how I would care. . .

No political crap please. Just describe how much your pants are spoiled.

I described how much -- not at all. :P Unless maybe I peed a little bit with glee.
Pages: [1] 2