Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The nation of Jin-Mei is the latest addition to the Federation? For more, read here.

Author Topic: Pod&Planet Post Write-up  (Read 711 times)

Korsavius

• Cold Wind's Blade
  • Omelette
  • "Dead man walking."
Pod&Planet Post Write-up
« on: 20 Dec 2017, 14:55 »

Hi friends, this is just a quick write-up following the conclusion of the Pod and Planet Fiction Contest hosted by Telegram Sam. In here I will detail a bit further my thoughts overall, as well as the inspirations to my writing and a bit on the writing process itself. If this sounds interesting to you, feel free to keep reading!

My Entries

For this year, I knew I wanted to go all out for the contest. So I started writing the second Sam mailed me informing me of the start of the competition. Overall I felt like I accomplished my goals in terms of number of entries - I submitted 9 in total. However, there was still two more I would have liked to start and complete. Unfortunately, I just didn't have enough time or imagination to flesh out those stories. Towards the end of the competition my time was really crunched because I started an EMT prep class that was 8 hours a day 4 days a week. Overall though I am pleased with both the quality and number of entries I submitted. Of course, there are always improvements to be made!

The Colour Lavender
Honorable Mention

My inspiration for this piece was adapted from the music video of a song I thoroughly enjoy by Tropics. I was moved by the video, and I found it to be incredibly provoking and beautiful. So, I adapted the story to fit into the world of EVE. As for the name of the protagonist in the story, well I just really like the color lavender. And I found the connection between the two to be a fitting one.

Ah, yes, another piece inspired by music I enjoy. The title comes from one of my favorite songs by Maroon 5. Listening to the song, for me, evokes feelings of nostalgia, love, happiness, and peace. I tried to capture these feelings through this piece of fiction, but of course EVE being the grimdark universe that it is, I couldn't let the entire story be just that! :) I did quite a bit of research on the topic of the Seyllin Incident and found out that Serpentis had supposedly confirmed that they lost assets in the system of 35-RK9. The nature of these assets was never confirmed or released by Serpentis, so I took the liberty of filling in the gap for this story - a small administrative outpost of a dozen or so thousand people.

Another little bit of insight into my main character, Korsavius aka Korbin Lavius' private life. This piece was mostly just a flow of consciousness. The flow of the poetry bits were inspired lyrics from Chance the Rapper's song (specifically about 2:40-2:50) which he debuted on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert.

Mariposa
A Day In The Life 1st Prize

This is the sequel to another piece of fiction I wrote for another fiction competition hosted by the folks at Alexylva Paradox. It continues the story of Kadak Hinj, a racist and ultra-nationalist Gallente citizen living in Solitude. The first story shows his downward spiral from a well-respected artist to a deranged mass murderer. This second piece picks up where the first one left off, and Hinj finds himself having a new lease on life where he can fully unleash his..."talents" all while getting paid for it thanks to the help of a mysterious employer. My inspiration for Hinj comes directly from my favorite champion in Riot's League of Legends - Jhin. I love playing the champion in-game, and I am obsessed with his backstory and perspective on life. I find it all incredibly fascinating, and I wanted to bring his character archetype to life here in EVE through Hinj.

Mikramurka Nights
Honorable Mention

My inspiration for this piece came from the fact that the winter season is upon us! I wanted to depict a story that made you want to settle in and get cozy. Of course, like Sunday Morning, in EVE it often is not all warm and cuddles, so I added the twist at the end. I actually was debating to make this story about Korsavius or just feature regular baseliners in it. In the end, I went with regular baseliners. I also debated between having this story set on Abagawa IV or on Matar. In the end, I chose Matar because Mikramurka Nights sounds a lot more pleasant than Abagawa Nights. Like Sunday Morning, I also did research into the side effects of the vitoxin agent. What happens when these people don't get the vitoc they need to stave off those terrible side effects? Well, some of them are featured in the piece!

Abagawa Days
A Day In The Life 3rd Prize

No real inspiration here. I just wanted to add some more fluff to my main character while also describing his home a bit - the primarily SuVee world of Abagawa IV. I also wanted the title to stand in contrast to Mikramurka Nights. And Abagawa IV is a pretty warm planet so I figured why not. :)

A Beautiful Exit
Honorable Mention

The title of this piece was taken directly from a song by one of my favorite singers, Miguel. I suppose you could also say the song itself was an inspiration for what happens in the story. Can you tell by now I get a lot of my inspiration from music? Lol. Anyway, I like this song so I adapted a version of it into EVE. I wanted something that would be both beautiful and tragic. A fallen theater performer in the Federation? A perfect fit in my book. I also love flowers in general, and so I figured that a rose was a good symbol to fit into the whole theater actor plot.

Cold-blooded Creatures
Honorable Mention

In-game I live in Syndicate, so I come across illicit goods and Serpentis all the time. Given that Serpentis are a big rival for my good friends over at Ishuk-Raata Enforcement Directive and their mission in the region, I thought it would be nice to do a story about it. Serpentis, I would imagine, have both a lot of allies and a lot of rivals in the drug trade. I focused my story on a rival of Serpentis, the Chameleons. The title itself, as you may or may not have figured out, is a bit of a play on words. There are actual cold-blooded creatures featured in the story, snakes and reptiles. But the characters themselves can be described as such, as well.

Overall, I'm really happy I got to participate in another year of the contest. I am looking forward for next year's competition as well. And I still have quite a bit of reading to catch up on for this year's competition. Great job all around to all the contestants and my biggest thanks for Sam and friends for setting this up. Cheers o7.
« Last Edit: 20 Dec 2017, 15:01 by Korsavius »
Character Profile - last updated 10.14.17

Nissui

Re: Pod&Planet Post Write-up
« Reply #1 on: 20 Dec 2017, 17:34 »

Well done, dood! Lots to process in the debrief.

Of your entries, The Colour Lavender is probably my favorite, as the dialogue puts me right in the scene. Kudos for that.

I'm much the same with regard to music, but typically I have a hard time transmuting a single song or verse into provable fiction. Kudos for that too.

Thanks for sharing your work and reflection.

Telegram Sam

• Clonejack
Re: Pod&Planet Post Write-up
« Reply #2 on: 20 Dec 2017, 18:58 »

Really interesting to see where the inspiration for the stories came from.  "How does one start from absolutely nothing and end up with a finished fiction piece?"  These provide some great insights.

By the way, just want to share what one of the Pod & Planet judges said to meabout our friend Korsavius's entries this year:  "omg that korsavius needs to win something, or am honourable mention, that kid has class."  Yeah indeed.   :)