EVE-Online RP Discussion and Resources > EVE OOC Summit

Difficult to Return - Or "Hi, I'm Troy McClure"

(1/15) > >>

Nmaro Makari:
You may remember me from such delights as "IGS Sarcasm 4 -  Return of the Shitpoasting", or "Sansha? Nosha!"

Anyway in case you don't, I used to play EVE, badly. However what kept me coming back was the opportunity to Role Play in a singe consistent universe with a rich background of player-created lore.

Which brings me, clumsily, to the issue I'm having. After a fairly significant hiatus of a few years, I keep finding myself poking my head into the IGS, or the many player channels ingame, and though I am feeling nostalgia and good memories all those times tempting me to play, I am also deeply, deeply sad about what I see.

Now, before I go on, its important to say that this is not so much about changes that have happened to the community or CCP-led changes to lore and attitude, or not entirely anyway. Nor am I saying that new RPers aren't highly talented, or dedicated, or creative, or that the input they have is any less valuable. If anything, new blood can only help the community right now.

No, I feel sad and unable to jump back in because, well, truthfully, in the old book of contacts there are many red dots where greens used to be. Channels that used to be the staple of RP communities, almost guaranteed to light up with chatter when you logged in, where friends and I wrote our stories, are all either empty, or just silent. It's a little like coming back to an empty home where once there was barely enough room to move.

Anyway, to tl;dr this sumbitch, I wanted to ask, is this a common feeling? How have people dealt with it? Does anyone have any advice to overcome it?

Veiki:
I just assume a mutual disinterest in that others care very little about whatever content or interactions I might bring via my characters; and I don't care enough about the needs of public validation/bitching/woe is me from what seems like the majority of other roleplayers. I just lock my characters out in my own personal headcanon and carry on exploring other aspects of the game that I do enjoy whether it's pvp, industry, or exploring.

The reward/effort ratio due to all the pointless and stupid bullshit roleplayers bring to the table just doesn't really justify more than the random popping into a channel once or twice a week if even that for me these days.

Lunarisse Aspenstar:
Nmaro! Sending you a mail in game.

Lasairiona:
I dunno...I have a pretty steady stream of chat going on, but then again, a lot of my chat is private these days.

Graelyn:
There's just not enough people left to really make for interesting content.

Those who remain have been around a long time, and seem to have simply heard most of what the others have to say by now.

The loyalists still can't do anything for their Empires, pirates still can't harm them. When NPC Organisations exist as window dressing only, it's hard for someone joining an already hard game starting out to get excited and learn more about groups that are eternally and un-changably static.

Eh, the list of reasons gets long, but yeah, we're all aware.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version