Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Rimpon, an ovoid, golden coloured fruit with a tart taste, was invented by player Matariki Rain, and has since made an appearance in a number of player-created fictions?

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: RIP - Captain's Quarters  (Read 14548 times)

Alex Hinkelmann

• Clonejack
Re: RIP - Captain's Quarters
« Reply #75 on: 22 Jan 2018, 20:39 »

What's more, I'd say the current story developers realize that the existing roleplay and lore communities loved A'J and the interaction it afforded, even as they realize the amount of work that'd go into it.

My problem with A'J was that it forced loyalists to stop being loyalists if they wanted to be part of it, since there was no barrier to entry. The model was fine, but there would need to be some granularity and separation of things I feel. When it's more Angel, Gurista and Sani Sabik involved than anyone else, it becomes a bit of a "How the everloving hell can my character do anything but shoot at this?" thing.

To this day, Miz regrets heavily helping Hilen Tukoss get a defense fleet on his exodus. She wishes she'd shot him and his freighter down instead.

You should have! Damn traitor deserved no better then the embrace of space.

That said for obvious reasons I-RED and those involved with us were unable to get involved in A'J, due to our loyalties to Ishukone. Which is how the game goes. :)
« Last Edit: 22 Jan 2018, 20:41 by Alex Hinkelmann »
I-RED Executor

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #76 on: 26 Jan 2018, 11:52 »

Although it would require a lot of extra behind the scenes work, I've always been a fan of the GM's running A or B scenarios for players to decide and then rolling with the results.

IE for Caldari Prime event there should have been more than one outcome the players determine and then the story moves down that path...

BUT I digress. Speaking of captain's quarters, this is so much of what I had envisioned for EVE 3rd person walking in stations. Sigh.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5rXhAJcSeQ&t=  take special look at the station interiors, the shopping, the npc interactions, this with an EVE skin would be quite amazing.

Nissui

« Reply #77 on: 26 Jan 2018, 14:03 »

Vherokior dust masks when?

Alex Hinkelmann

• Clonejack
« Reply #78 on: 26 Jan 2018, 15:17 »

Those people are really bad shots in that video. :P
I-RED Executor

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
« Reply #79 on: 29 Jan 2018, 03:52 »

Back on the topic of Captain's Quarters...

[–]ccp_darwinCCP Games 19 points 13 hours ago
There isn’t a showcase like CQ right now, but the animation system and the animation authoring pipeline have recently been overhauled so we can do more with them in the future.

[–]ccp_darwinCCP Games 10 points 9 hours ago
I’m a graphics software engineer specializing in 3D character systems. Most of my work over the past year has been to improve and modernize characters, so that they could play a greater role in the game. These are complex systems, but we’re in a much better place with them now than we were a year ago, and I look forward to where we’ll be able to go from here.

Aradina

• Behold.
  • Wetgraver
« Reply #80 on: 29 Jan 2018, 10:41 »

:O

Where was this posted?

This is exactly what I had hoped they were doing when they started ripping out the old systems.
I exist sometimes.

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
« Reply #81 on: 29 Jan 2018, 11:03 »

:O

Where was this posted?

This is exactly what I had hoped they were doing when they started ripping out the old systems.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Eve/comments/7tl925/asking_the_important_questions_why_do_female/dtdmgx0/

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
  • Shes mad but shes magic, theres no lie in her fire
« Reply #82 on: 29 Jan 2018, 11:34 »

I was there  :lol:

"Eve roleplayers scare me." - The Mittani

Aradina

• Behold.
  • Wetgraver
« Reply #83 on: 29 Jan 2018, 13:18 »

\o/

\o/ \o/ \o/

Hype to maximum levels.
I exist sometimes.

Jocca Quinn

• Wetgraver
« Reply #84 on: 29 Jan 2018, 13:23 »

Oh god, why  :bash:

Ché Biko

• Space Buddho-Commu-Nihilist
  • Veteran
  • I'll face the stars or the abyss.
    • Biko's Backstage Character Thread
« Reply #85 on: 29 Jan 2018, 14:35 »

:eek:
Oh my gerd!
Ship-me-she-pee-pee. YES!
 8)
-OOChé

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #86 on: 01 Feb 2018, 09:39 »

Did I miss something? They didn't announce new features just better animation tools? For cutscenes or news videos or something? I don't think they are launching any new avatar mechanics?

Samira Kernher

• Soulless Puppet
  • Veteran
  • Ardishapur Victor
« Reply #87 on: 01 Feb 2018, 09:44 »

Did I miss something? They didn't announce new features just better animation tools? For cutscenes or news videos or something? I don't think they are launching any new avatar mechanics?

They haven't "announced" anything. But they've basically said that the old tech was cumbersome to work with and maintain and that's why they're getting rid of it (which we've all known, incarna flopped because they made the dumb idea to swap to a hyperadvanced but inefficient in-house engine instead of the third party engine they were originally planning to use). So along with captain's quarters, they've ditched PhysX and the in-house animation engine for a third party engine. That's made the character animations less clean and they don't have dynamic cloth/hair/gravity anymore, but this may make it easier for them to expand avatar stuff in the future.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #88 on: 01 Feb 2018, 12:54 »

Let's hope they don't. The less dev time wasted on that nonsense, the better. I play internet spaceships. Put the animators and graphical guys on more/new/better models and textures for ships, stations, visual effects and so on.

The best cutscenes and videos I've ever seen in games have tended to be simple 2D artwork with panning and a good voice over. The universe of Eve is far better served by the gorgeous kind of grim/cyberpunk artwork we used to get for the Chronicles and so on, rather than the ridiculously clean and uncanny valley like stuff we've seen with character animations in some of the trailers. I'll grant you, Birth of a Capsuleer and Wreck their Dreams both had good use of them, but 90% of story stuff that involves actual characters would look so much better as painted artwork.

Let the game remain internet spaceships, and use the correct medium (text and artwork) for the worldbuilding, please. You can't reasonably fit all the awesome of New Eden's baseliner world into 3D animated scenes without investing a ridiculous amount of money and effort into it, and it'd in all likelihood still be pretty bad. That amount of money and effort going into good writing and some pieces of art to go with them would be leading to a vastly greater volume of awesome.

I know today's audience don't have the attention span required to get past the first paragraphs, but those people aren't exactly the ones who'd give a shit anyway.

Aradina

• Behold.
  • Wetgraver
« Reply #89 on: 01 Feb 2018, 12:59 »

"Put the janitor on dog washing duty, I don't pay for this clean windows nonsense."

Also you just cited the two major trailers in the last two years as an example of how good the character animations are for trailers.
I exist sometimes.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7