Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Ushra'Khan is the oldest active alliance in New Eden.

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Leaving EVE  (Read 4149 times)

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
Re: Leaving EVE
« Reply #15 on: 01 Jul 2010, 17:03 »

Medical problems work, but you have to be careful to set them up so that they make sense (what with the multiple bodies thing). So, it works best if the real problem is technical-- something's dangerously wrong with the headgear, and diagnosing and fixing it (and any effects it's had on the capsuleer) will take some time.

Darn barely-understood Jovian pod tech....

Oh-- and there's one medical condition any capsuleer could canonically be subject to: going nucking futs. Though actually carrying that to the point where you haven't been able to get into the capsule is likely to require some explanation.

Crazy capsuleers are sort of routine.

Zuzanna Alondra

• Omelette
« Reply #16 on: 01 Jul 2010, 17:29 »

You forgot to update your clone and it took your doctors awhile to help you recover from the headaches and bad cloning from your last podding.  If your really lucky a loved one will look over you while you are away from your ships and your corp mates will be praying for your recovery.

Vieve

« Reply #17 on: 01 Jul 2010, 21:06 »

I've generally had long absences taken care of by nasty surprises crawling out of one of the umpteen plot threads I've got going.   Since I'm not nice at all to my characters, it ain't hard to find something awful that'll take them off stage for a while.  Betrayal, death, sensitive smuggling operations, even the simple need to clear the mind of daily concerns and research/design/implement revenge (and conduct a thorough review of where things went wrong in the past, and how not to repeat the same mistakes) -- I've used all of these activities to explain that off stage time.

I do write during this downtime.  I do try to keep up with IC events via forums, blog reviews, e-mails and IM sessions.  The invention of EvEGate now makes that even easier.

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #18 on: 03 Jul 2010, 05:56 »

Thanks for the thoughts, everyone!  I'm close to having an IC "out" developed for my characters during this upcoming hiatus, but anyone else with experiences to share, please do so.

Tomahawk Bliss

• Cut Yo' Face
  • Clonejack
« Reply #19 on: 03 Jul 2010, 15:37 »

why would you need to make any excuse for your character, he isn't absent or leaving.  Just because he may not be posting on forums or chatting in channels or doing what ever in space doesn't mean he evaporates from the world consciousness.  Your toon doesn't stop being in the EVE world when you log, no matter how long you log for.

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #20 on: 03 Jul 2010, 15:47 »

Yeah, but going inactive with an ordinarily very active character tends to provoke people to ask, "Where the heck have you been?!" when you resurface a year later.

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #21 on: 03 Jul 2010, 16:10 »

why would you need to make any excuse for your character, he isn't absent or leaving.

Yeah, but going inactive with an ordinarily very active character tends to provoke people to ask, "Where the heck have you been?!" when you resurface a year later.

^ That, basically.  Also, it's just more entertaining, Tomahawk, and would make me feel like I'm still part of the game and a story is still progressing even though I can't jump on and play whenever I wish.

Tomahawk Bliss

• Cut Yo' Face
  • Clonejack
« Reply #22 on: 03 Jul 2010, 17:10 »

if it makes you feel better more powah to ya

I can think of one relatively recent IC contrivance to match some OOC absence with Saxon Hawke.  He was captured or some such thing like that.

Chell Charon

• Egger
  • IC: Main> Lord Crow Alts> Too many
« Reply #23 on: 05 Jul 2010, 17:43 »

Since my computer blew up, I need to come up with one. This backup thing is just too outdated to run EVE.  :s

Luckily prewarned is prepared. I needed to write some stuff on Chell anyway, now I don't have the excuse of "just the next system/discussion". Except for forums.

So yeah, I'll have a doctors note for you Ghost.  :lol:
1. Think what you are about to say.
2. Know why you are about to speak up.
-This is here for me, I need the reminder.
Pages: 1 [2]