Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Egonics inc. makes a headset called an Egone that broadcasts music directly into a wearer's brain?

Author Topic: Hello. New to online RP and need LOTS of help!  (Read 1813 times)

Al Chu

• Clonejack
Hello. New to online RP and need LOTS of help!
« on: 06 May 2017, 06:44 »

My name is Pete, I have played EVE since 2009, and tabletop RPG's since the 70's. I have a Steam account Alpha Caldari capsuleer that I would like to use to try getting into the RP aspect of the game. I have always had a difficult time with the social end of the game, as many of the previous corps that I played with were all about munchkining the fits and "you can't fleet with us because you can't fly this doctrine." I have read alot about online RP, especially dealing with MUD/MUX/MUSH type games, and would like to attempt to have that experience in one of my favorite games. All that I really know about my character is that he is Caldari, a loyalist to The State, despises Galante, and is centered around combat. I know only the basics of lore and history; so if anyone out there is willing to take up the mantle of guiding me down the rabbit hole, I would like to begin this adventure.

Ché Biko

• Space Buddho-Commu-Nihilist
  • Veteran
  • I'll face the stars or the abyss.
    • Biko's Backstage Character Thread
Re: Hello. New to online RP and need LOTS of help!
« Reply #1 on: 06 May 2017, 07:25 »

Welcome backstage.

We (mostly) like to help each other here whenever we can. Have a looks around, and ask questions.
-OOChé

Sakura Nihil

• Egger
  • Glory
« Reply #2 on: 06 May 2017, 09:07 »

If only you didn't despise the Gallente, I'd say "come give Faded Light a look, we'll help give your combat a purpose".

Oh well, worth a shot :P - regardless, welcome.

Al Chu

• Clonejack
« Reply #3 on: 07 May 2017, 05:47 »

Well, First I think a good backstory would be needed. I would like it to tie in with another character of mine, Dari Chu. She would be my sister, and we were separated as kids due to the war. We have both become capsuleers now and may or may not have reunited. Other than that, I need some help filling in blanks, making connections with others, etc...

Ché Biko

• Space Buddho-Commu-Nihilist
  • Veteran
  • I'll face the stars or the abyss.
    • Biko's Backstage Character Thread
« Reply #4 on: 07 May 2017, 06:06 »

Well, have a look around at the Character Development section, get inspired, make a WIP thread for you char there, and hope for some constructive feedback. If you have any concrete questions already, you can post them here in this thread or in other sections/threads of the forum relating to the subject.
-OOChé

Xepharious

• Egger
  • Building a home, one word at a time
    • What is you Origin Story?
« Reply #5 on: 08 May 2017, 10:42 »

Welcome Al!

Speaking as someone who was rather slow to fill out my actual backstory (and also used familial ties to help define the character) don't let a lack of backstory prevent you from trying some light RP here or there. If you have a few basics as to personality and at least an awareness for the kind of 'social' groups your character might be interested in then that will give you at least enough to try a few light-topic'd RPs. And it will give you a chance to try to fill in more of the background as you start to 'get' your character more.

Che's got a good point, you can look through some of the backstories here, but don't be afraid to poke around a few people's bio's in the game too. I find that those are a lot easier to read quick and can give you an idea not just of what other people are doing, but of what others are sharing openly and how they share it (DED file, security analysis, or just life story in bio form)

I'd say the Faded Light might not be too bad a group to try to RP with actually. The Nihils are pretty harmless (in terms of not chopping your head off for a misplaced lore bit) and even if your hatred for Gallente shows though a little, you may find a bit of a foil for your character. Or, maybe you surprise yourself and discover that not ALL Gallente are evil... how might that spin Al's world? *shrug* Just saying, don't be afraid to try something, you may find it takes you in a direction you didn't expect.

You are, of course, welcome to try your hand at RP with some ALXVP folks too, we have a lot of Caldari ex-loyalists, though, again, many of them came to Origin to escape the endless cycle of the faction wars.

Ask any questions if you have 'em!
« Last Edit: 09 May 2017, 10:29 by Xepharious »
Xepharious
ALEXYLVA PARADOX | Sub-Coordinator | Recruiter
alexylva.webnode.com
What's your Origin Story?
http://www.alexylva-paradox.com/origin-tldr/

Casserina Leshrac

• Clonejack
  • Causing Trouble As Best I Can!
« Reply #6 on: 08 May 2017, 10:52 »

Welcome!

I am going to backup  Xeph in regards to Faded Light.

But if you want some edgier role-play I tend to lend myself to a Sani Sabik sort of thing.

But ask questions. A lot of good people who can help with the lore and everything

Mizhir

• Egger
  • Vherocool
« Reply #7 on: 08 May 2017, 12:08 »

Welcome :)

I think many people care about their character's backstory when RPPing, but be careful that it isn't too strict so you end up limiting yourself and making you burn out. Faded Light may be a great opportunity to get both RP and PVP experiance so be careful that you don't waste this. With a little creativity you can find a way to make it fit your char and then later if you feel ready you can go back to going full "This is why the Federation must be destroyed"

Sakura Nihil

• Egger
  • Glory
« Reply #8 on: 08 May 2017, 19:58 »

As an additional point, Faded Light doesn't pidgeon-hole you into doctrine fits, we encourage innovation with the understanding that you'll try and better yourself over time with experience.

Not to make too blunt of a pitch, of course! 8)

Xepharious

• Egger
  • Building a home, one word at a time
    • What is you Origin Story?
« Reply #9 on: 09 May 2017, 10:35 »

I'm kinda getting a kick out of how the short versions of each post of this thread have played out.

'maybe not join us'
'No, you could at least RP with them'
'well, you could join them too'
'well yeah, you could join us'

and how suddenly I'm hyping someone else's corp *chuckle*
Xepharious
ALEXYLVA PARADOX | Sub-Coordinator | Recruiter
alexylva.webnode.com
What's your Origin Story?
http://www.alexylva-paradox.com/origin-tldr/