Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That the Blood Raiders are a sect of the Sani Sabik who spend their lives in space hunting down and harvesting non-believers for their blood? Read more here!

Author Topic: New city lights on PF planets  (Read 2111 times)

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
New city lights on PF planets
« on: 29 Jun 2010, 17:41 »

Part of the Tyrannis 1.0.2 changes.  This is a screen of Intaki V from a bookmark about 70,000km away.  Looks like it got the "lots of little clusters" pattern of city lights... even in the (supposedly inhospitably hot) equatorial regions.

Do we know where else this has been added?

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
Re: New city lights on PF planets
« Reply #1 on: 29 Jun 2010, 17:57 »

I would assume that, these days, you could have all sorts of interesting hab modules and such at the Intaki equator.

Mithfindel

• (a.k.a. Axel Kurki)
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #2 on: 30 Jun 2010, 00:37 »

Even with Future Tech, I'd assume that space launches are the easiest in the equatorial regions. The tech to colonize ocean floor, barren planets, lava planets and storm planets exists. Once you can transport food and water from the temperate regions to the equatorial deserts, colonizing them becomes possible.

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #3 on: 02 Jul 2010, 09:20 »

Depends on what you mean by equatorial.  Launches are easiest from the plane perpendicular to the axis of rotation.  It is easiest to launch with the direction of rotation, preferably where the rotation is the fastest.

I theory you could have a world whose axis of rotation is along its orbital path.  This world's poles would rarely see changes.  The equatorial regions become the most inhabitable in this scenario.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #4 on: 02 Jul 2010, 09:24 »

I'd like to see the planet formation scenario that would lead to a 90-degree tilt.

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #5 on: 02 Jul 2010, 10:17 »

Uranus.

A collision early on in formation at a weird angle, like one of the poles.

Lillith Blackheart

• Pod Captain
« Reply #6 on: 04 Jul 2010, 11:09 »

I would like to know where all the fucking ice caps are.

Major immersion breaker imo.

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
« Reply #7 on: 04 Jul 2010, 11:26 »

Lillith Blackheart

• Pod Captain
« Reply #8 on: 04 Jul 2010, 11:43 »

I find it very hard to believe that every single planet in the system regardless of whether or not it is inhabited lost their ice caps to global warming.

orange

• Dex 1.0
  • Veteran
« Reply #9 on: 04 Jul 2010, 12:09 »

I would like to know where all the fucking ice caps are.

Major immersion breaker imo.
Ice Caps are not mandatory for a temperate/oceanic world.  We should not expect every liquid water bearing world to have ice caps.  I do however agree that a decent portion of them should have them and to varying degrees.  Some of the temperate worlds should be in ice ages, some in hot ages, some in middle ground.

Kaleigh Doyle

« Reply #10 on: 05 Jul 2010, 09:54 »

ice caps have become obsolete thanks to ice planets!

Svetlana Scarlet

• Omelette
« Reply #11 on: 08 Jul 2010, 08:00 »

Yeah, I am disappointed that at least some of the major planets don't have unique textures at least -- a significant portion of Caldari Prime should be glaciated, at least....

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #12 on: 09 Jul 2010, 05:53 »

Just use your imagination. I'm sure they have polar ice caps. Not like Jita 4-4 can actually fit in all those hundreds of ships...

Matariki Rain

• Sweet, gentle Mata
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #13 on: 10 Jul 2010, 23:54 »

Yeah, I am disappointed that at least some of the major planets don't have unique textures at least -- a significant portion of Caldari Prime should be glaciated, at least....

And Matar went from potentially plausible as the paradisaical cradle of Matari civilisation to... a near water world.

"The large, fertile plains of Matar, home planet of the Minmatars, with endless herds of hoofed animals, proved ideal for a nomadic lifestyle. The fabulous conditions on Matar coupled with more than enough space meant there was less incentive to struggle to keep up the technology level after the closure of the EVE gate. For ages the Minmatars roamed this paradise, slowly divided by time and distance into numerous tribes." http://www.eveonline.com/races/minmatartribe_intro.asp

I could maybe imagine the Mioar archipelago on the Tyrannis-refurbished world -- supporting a tiny population -- but what happened to "the vast Eyniletti-plains", "the inhospitable steppes of the Mikramurka continent in the northern ar[c]tic region on Matar" or "the mountainous region of the upper Tronhadar-valley".

It's not that long ago we were hearing about land on Matar being at a premium, but we'd assumed that was because the population was spiking, not because the sea-level was rising. [http://www.eveonline.com/news.asp?a=single&nid=2791&tid=9]

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
« Reply #14 on: 12 Jul 2010, 10:43 »

Matariki - Yeah, the Matar thing is lame, but CCP Ginger and Dropbear have pledged to fix it, the same way they have pledged the Mannar needs a temperate world.

Also, of note. Interesting to see the style of city lights on Intaki. Visited there ingame and compared to other worlds. Whereas the Luminaire worlds, CP/Astrin/Corufeu, all have contigous (sp.) blocks of city lights in one big conglomeration, Intaki is more sporadic. a bunch of smaller settlements spread out.