Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

DioCore is a Gallentean research firm that survived a hostile takeover by its own start-up investors, MindChill, in the early days of the company.

Author Topic: Hey! Sepphiros here. +1 question about you guys.  (Read 1681 times)

Ioannis_Sepphiros

• Clonejack

Hey guys, Its a priviledge and honor to be part of this community. I hope I can contribute positively and make you all proud and such.

I am well into RPing, rather too much I could say as I have only recently in my gaming 'life' discovered that I am into RP.

I d like to ask a question about the character.

As Sepphiros is a new capsuleer I d like to add periodically events that are happening to the character. For that I could use only these three mediums
  • IGS Forum
  • Character development thread in this website
  • A potential blog dedicated on Sepphiros? (I dont think personally would go for this but its one of the three ways that I am aware of.)

or there are more that you guys follow?

Cheers

Nissui

Re: Hey! Sepphiros here. +1 question about you guys.
« Reply #1 on: 25 Apr 2017, 16:56 »

Herro and welcome.

You covered most of the bases already, and backstage also has a wiki with a number of solid character templates, if you are so inclined.

Ché Biko

• Space Buddho-Commu-Nihilist
  • Veteran
  • I'll face the stars or the abyss.
    • Biko's Backstage Character Thread
« Reply #2 on: 26 Apr 2017, 08:49 »

Welcome backstage.

My character has a page on the wiki: http://wiki.eve-inspiracy.com/index.php?title=Che_Biko_(Character)
Also, I use EVE Gate broadcasts.

Just remember that the IGS is in character, so don't go writing about your char in the third person there ("Sepphiros thought...") unless your character actually writes about himself like that.
EVE Fiction forum is the place to write about your character, the IGS is where your character writes.
-OOChé

Ioannis_Sepphiros

• Clonejack
« Reply #3 on: 26 Apr 2017, 11:45 »

Welcome backstage.

My character has a page on the wiki: http://wiki.eve-inspiracy.com/index.php?title=Che_Biko_(Character)
Also, I use EVE Gate broadcasts.

Just remember that the IGS is in character, so don't go writing about your char in the third person there ("Sepphiros thought...") unless your character actually writes about himself like that.
EVE Fiction forum is the place to write about your character, the IGS is where your character writes.

Hey thanks for this! Much obliged!

Xepharious

• Egger
  • Building a home, one word at a time
    • What is you Origin Story?
« Reply #4 on: 27 Apr 2017, 10:39 »

Welcome!

Yeah, the Character Development threads often give a great way to give depth to your character. Also, keep in mind that as you fill in the doeth, it can be helpful to define what is public info and what isn't. An example from Xeph: It is public knowledge that he is a sub-coordinator (officer) of his corp, that he owns two bars (RP venue's), that he was once a slave but was freed, and that he is currently seeing someone romantically. Many players might know, but their characters don't; that he is very involved in the intelligence efforts of his corp, that he bought the first of his bars after meeting his current significant other in it, that he was freed because his master was very much in love with his mother, or any of the specifics of his current relationship beyond who it is.

The second set of things, the 'secrets' give depth and you definitely shouldn't keep all of them from the other players because those things give depth and make your character part of a story. Trusting them to know the difference between what they know and what their character knows can be hard. Most RPrs are pretty good about guessing what is or is not public, but it never hurts to give a little disclaimer when you post something. 
Xepharious
ALEXYLVA PARADOX | Sub-Coordinator | Recruiter
alexylva.webnode.com
What's your Origin Story?
http://www.alexylva-paradox.com/origin-tldr/

Ioannis_Sepphiros

• Clonejack
« Reply #5 on: 01 May 2017, 09:35 »

Welcome!

Yeah, the Character Development threads often give a great way to give depth to your character. Also, keep in mind that as you fill in the doeth, it can be helpful to define what is public info and what isn't. An example from Xeph: It is public knowledge that he is a sub-coordinator (officer) of his corp, that he owns two bars (RP venue's), that he was once a slave but was freed, and that he is currently seeing someone romantically. Many players might know, but their characters don't; that he is very involved in the intelligence efforts of his corp, that he bought the first of his bars after meeting his current significant other in it, that he was freed because his master was very much in love with his mother, or any of the specifics of his current relationship beyond who it is.

The second set of things, the 'secrets' give depth and you definitely shouldn't keep all of them from the other players because those things give depth and make your character part of a story. Trusting them to know the difference between what they know and what their character knows can be hard. Most RPrs are pretty good about guessing what is or is not public, but it never hurts to give a little disclaimer when you post something.

Hey thanks for this, I wasnt aware of such a mechanic! So anything I do write in forums and what not should I state if it becomes public knowledge or some forums are considered public knowledge and some not?

Xepharious

• Egger
  • Building a home, one word at a time
    • What is you Origin Story?
« Reply #6 on: 01 May 2017, 10:51 »

That's up to you. I've seen both options. Though, you should generally assume that anything you read in Fiction is likely giving you more than what your character would know.

Now, if, in fact, you want to generate content and RP with your character, it can be helpful to leave a little blurb at the begging or end of a story/post in which you say what would be public knowledge. I know Saede used to do this a bit back when they posted more often. That way someone who wants to RP with you has at least a beachhead topic. I've talked with a lot of new RPers who stated that they'd love to have RPed with someone but felt that their character didn't have a topic with which to start.
Xepharious
ALEXYLVA PARADOX | Sub-Coordinator | Recruiter
alexylva.webnode.com
What's your Origin Story?
http://www.alexylva-paradox.com/origin-tldr/

Ioannis_Sepphiros

• Clonejack
« Reply #7 on: 01 May 2017, 11:08 »

That's up to you. I've seen both options. Though, you should generally assume that anything you read in Fiction is likely giving you more than what your character would know.

Now, if, in fact, you want to generate content and RP with your character, it can be helpful to leave a little blurb at the begging or end of a story/post in which you say what would be public knowledge. I know Saede used to do this a bit back when they posted more often. That way someone who wants to RP with you has at least a beachhead topic. I've talked with a lot of new RPers who stated that they'd love to have RPed with someone but felt that their character didn't have a topic with which to start.

I get it completely now. Well this has been really really helpful!