Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Ladette Russeot is a Gallentean woman who in YC106, at age 17, hacked the code used by deadspace warp beacons that had been proclaimed unhackable just days before.

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: How to make money by not missioning, trading, mining, manufacturing...  (Read 9001 times)

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr

Du'uma Fiisi did it with less than five people in our largest fleet against the corps we targeted. Of course, we didn't do POS bashing, but territory denial and constantly hounding their carebears will cause more tears than a POS bash. More personal.

That was epic - got a scared noob to sell us their member list for 10 mil - we had a hay day with that.  Good times.

nice
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran
  • The untraditional traditionalist

"Rhea was brilliantly skilled for industry. I sold her for 3.5bil"

Noob. About a year ago my indy char was less than 35 mill SP and got stolen by a key-logger. He sold the char for 5 billion isk, I did not have that so I asked a friend of a friend to buy her for me so I could pay her back.

Paying her back in PLEX took months, but it was worth it.

Why, you ask?

Because indy characters are a source of endless money. Mining is boring? You are doing it wrong.

Skill alternative indy char to Hulk and perfect mining skills (processing skills at 5 for all high-sec ores in your area) all other skills at 5 or 4 etc, to perfectly fit a Hulk for mining and the skills to perfectly refine the ore. Standing means little - the NPC's take 5% or less, you can live with that.

Dual-box. your alt mines in NPC corp. You sit ready in hauler able to take a full jet-can of ore in one go, or as close as able. Itty5 should do on your main, or the T2 DST. That would be even better.

Alt mines. Main hauls. YOU do something else primarely while doing this. Read book. Watch TV. Watch shows on PC on alternative screen or just pop-up EVE every 3 mintes to empty Hulk and haul on main, if you only got one screen. Hell, you can even write your RP posts to the EVE-O forums or work on your RP stories or whatever. Find something to occupy your time while you mine, simply making sure you keep the ore flowing into that can and that can going back to station on time. Do this as long as you BOTHER, WHEN you bother. Refine ore. Haul it to good market spot and sell. Profit. Work some math to see what ore yealds minerals that is worth most per hour and work on that, upping profit.

Alternative: skill char to T1 production and get some cheap BPO's or BPC's if you want bigger stuff or don't want to invest the money. Build stuff that sells well on market. Ammo. Charges. Popular ships. Whatever sells, not what costs most. Whatever sells on a steady rate.

PRO-TIP: find some HIGH-SEC backwater that don't see much traffic to increase chance of fat ore belts and available build slots of you do that. Mine/refine/haul/build there, sell elsewhere. Optionally skills for ice-mining and possibly proccessing if ice-products sell better than ice blocks then use Macks not hulks. Or do both for variety.

Ore/ice thieves? Leave a can-marker (bookmark, round of ammo, whatever) in the can and save the ore. Ensure the can belongs to main. They steal marker, undock a PVP ship able to take them on and kill them. Yay PVP.

Ofc, you can ignore this advice. You sold your indy char (noob :roll:) and don't like mining. I don't either, if you keep looking at the ore being mined. B.O.R.I.N.G. Do something else in the meantime as adviced. time will flow by while you enjoy yourself, and profit will be okay-ish to very good depending on what ore you get and prices etc. This can be anticipated by working out prize for minerals and how much you get per sycle/per hour and so on. If you do this in advance or make a couple simple checks you will soon see income/hour and if it's worth it to you or not.

Alternatively... there is scamming, corp-theft on alt, griefing in high-sec, extortion rackets, and so on. Mining is a solid income choice, though it needs :effort:

Sleepy. Ranting, repeating myself... off for bed. Good night.

Alain Colcer

• Pod Captain

If you are dual-boxing, I understand that the correct way to do it these days is with a maxed orca pilot with mining ganglinks, along with a maxed hulk pilot with mining upgrades in the lows.

Both shield tanked, orca with cargo rigs, hulk with shield rigs. Both with mining drones IIs.

Considering just how much veld/scord you can pull on your own and sell it raw (plenty of good buy orders for raw ores), i am seriously considering acquiring a 2nd account and go this route. 5 hours a week should net 40-50mill i guess. Problem is investing the time, skills and equipment with a very low RoI.

Regardless if the above is peanuts or allows to blow ships on a regular basis, i presume the original question in this thread was how to make ISK without actually dedicating much time to it and more to combat experiences.

My research lately has been pointing out to do PI manufacturing, buy bulks of processed materials in market, haul and make up specialized or high-tech commodities with a pure factory chain attached to a CC in high-sec. Problem is supply, people are doing closed supply chains and turning profits with the most expensive goods.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.

Pure mining in highsec, even with a maxed Orca and Hulk (yes, I have both), will not be much of an ISK-maker. It'll also turn your brain into mush. Trust me. If you want to make money from that, get some friends. An Orca bonus gains potency for every single Hulk you get in the belt. Each Hulk gets a 15% yield bonus, 23-25% reduced cycle time (and 23km range for that matter) and will be able to haul in a decent amount of ore.

That's where corp standings come in. Have at least one of the pilots get enough standings to refine with 0% loss. Do this until you have sold enough ore/minerals to buy researched blueprint originals. One or two will suffice.

On a researched Drake blueprint, I increase the value of the minerals by approximately 5-15% by turning them into Drakes instead, and the time spent manufacturing them is negligible. Same kind of percentage increase from smaller ships as well, and the blueprint originals are cheaper, even researched.

In short, get friends. Do this shit together. Mining/Industry is not a solo venture. You'll gain far more ISK per hour by pooling your efforts together, then splitting the profits in the end. Besides, five/ten people with Orca support will easily strip a few belts in one operation, and that'll be enough for ten battlecruisers or fifty cruisers.

There's a reason Industry corporations exist. They quite simply allow you to make higher profits than you can alone.

Zuzanna Alondra

• Omelette

Alt mines. Main hauls. YOU do something else primarely while doing this. Read book. Watch TV. Watch shows on PC on alternative screen or just pop-up EVE every 3 mintes to empty Hulk and haul on main, if you only got one screen. Hell, you can even write your RP posts to the EVE-O forums or work on your RP stories or whatever. Find something to occupy your time while you mine, simply making sure you keep the ore flowing into that can and that can going back to station on time. Do this as long as you BOTHER, WHEN you bother. Refine ore. Haul it to good market spot and sell. Profit. Work some math to see what ore yealds minerals that is worth most per hour and work on that, upping profit.

This is how I funded Zu's early PvP stuff and studied for my finals - sans the hauler sadly - might set that up now...

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran

This is how I funded Zu's early PvP stuff and studied for my finals - sans the hauler sadly - might set that up now...

This also happen to be my back-up plan in case I get really low on money - I have the needed assets, T2 fitted perfectly skilled Hulk pilot, soon Orca able on my main (currently have orca on Hulk char but can't use both at the same time) and in the worst case scenario I'll just read my books or whatever while slowly emptying belts. No, it's not INSTANT BLOB OF MONEY and it does require a bit of :EFFORT:, but it's a never-ending, stead and fool-proof way of making isk.

Add to this the fact I'm working on improving a corp that, among other things will do this on a major scale, many hulks + orca + T2 DST hauler and you will soon have the ore for your indy jobs.

In my opinion, the whole 'I just wanna blow stuff up and can't be bothered to work for my isk' argument is valid, as MMO's go, but so damn lazy-like. You want to make some isk, decent amounts? That requires some work. Find ways to deal with it. Or sacrifice RL cash for PLEX cards if you can. That's about the least work-needing thing one can do I think, though you still have to sell them for acceptable ammounts.

Alexander Rykis

Or you could just let someone else do all this and then convince them that giving it all to you is a good idea.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.

Rykis is right. Usually I just get my ISK through either stationtrading (with a couple of bill to start with, that'll bring you a hefty income but it takes a lot of 0.02 isk adjustments a day to make it a steady high income. Contract working also works, but it takes a lot of effort to track prices in various tradehubs and nullsec for that to be workable.

But if I need a quicker injection of ISK, I usually run a scam of some sort. I pre-emptively create a couple of alts and let them stew for a month. (I recycle them once a week, so at any given time I have a three-four week alt and some younger ones just growing older) This lets you perform various tasks or make yourself legitimate with different 'yeah, this guy's legit' support from said alts. Keep up the scams until the character is well and truly identified as a scammer, (changing tradehubs can be worthwhile to avoid prematurely biomassing) then transfer ISK to main and biomass. Remake alt to let it grow older.

It's easily one of the finest income sources in Eve, if you got a little bit of patience, a few lacks of morals, and can consider yourself somewhat finely spoken.

BloodBird

• Intaki Still-Rager
  • Veteran

Once again, I will say this for effect...

Making isk in EVE requires some effort. If you mine you need the assets and skills to do it. If you mission you need the assets and skills. You do trading? Funding (it don't grow out your ass) will be needed in soem degree and work to maintain the market orders. Scamming? You will have to have the alts to make it look 'legit' you have to work for them to hit the dumb people who fall for them, you also need that 'silver-tounged criminal' aspect to work.

Even scamming people or making a corp then betraying them all and so on takes effort. You have to work for the gains. You need to find them, make them trust you, lie to their faces, and get away with it until you got what you wanted. There is no 'effortless means of isk' in this game. There never will be.

For the record, I will remain civil and withold personal commenting on my oppinion of scammers and traitors, simply because I don't want al my posts in the catacombs.

Alexander Rykis

Now, I need to make a distinction here.

Scammers and thieves are two completely different things. Thieves take from you without your knowledge, that's on them. But scammers... you give them the items. How is it of personal fault of the scammer when you are the one giving them the items? If you get scammed, you are the fool and the one at fault.

And perhaps I am speaking for myself, but scamming is :effort:. Talking and selling an idea in an intelligent manner are both things I believe myself to be quite good at. I could sell ice to an eskimo. So scamming is quite easy. I guess if you're not good at it, you need an army of alts or a corp to make it seem legit... but I can say that in nearly 4 years, I've never once used alts to assist in a scam. Now, I've sometimes used an unassociated alt to scam with to avoid attention on the main, but I've never had to bring an alt in to close a deal. Hence :effort:... at least for me
Pages: 1 2 [3]