Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That the connections inside a pod serve as both communications pathways and security wiring? (The Burning Life, p 30)

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: I'm getting tired of this:  (Read 5316 times)

Lunarisse Aspenstar

• Egger
Re: I'm getting tired of this:
« Reply #15 on: 05 Apr 2017, 11:53 »

A lot of good things have been said in this thread.  I hope we all put them into practice.

Seconded.

Julianni Avala

• The Mods
  • Egger
« Reply #16 on: 05 Apr 2017, 15:47 »

Careful, you're implying there are new characters in either of these channels that are not alts.

Careful, you're implying that there are no such thing as new roleplayers to EVE.

Speaking as someone who is legitimately new to this community, I'm not sure people realize just how difficult it is for the "new kids" to be interacted with. From what I've been told, it's that "everyone is an alt" belief that kicks us to the side.

There are so many groups and cliques. I don't think creating new private channels will help. It will only further divide the community. That being said, what happens when there's someone new who is trying like all hell to be involved and interact with people?

I hate to admit it, but lately I've become increasingly discouraged with trying to get involved anymore with any sort of legitimate roleplay because of this whole issue. People are generally closed off to others for fear they're an alt (which I do understand, by the way), or they aren't willing to give people a chance.

Again, I don't think further private channels will help. At least, not when it comes to legitimately new players. All that would do is shut them off even more than they already are.
Blog
*Recently updated 3-02-2019*

Sakura Nihil

• Egger
  • Glory
« Reply #17 on: 06 Apr 2017, 12:12 »

For what its worth Julianni, if you see a Nihil around, feel free to say hi.  My characters tend to be nice, mostly.

Utari Onzo

« Reply #18 on: 06 Apr 2017, 13:48 »

Gotta say I faced the exact same attitude when I first came on the scene that Julianni did, and I remember making not a small number of rants/lectures about it on Slack and other places. Shutting ourselves off because we don't like so and so and can't be adult enough to just ignore them and work around them doesn't help, nor does automatically assuming every character is an alt/potential troll.

So little content is being produced for wider consumption, and so few people are bothering to try to rope people in outside of BaRP. I'll admit I'm guilty of that too, but I'm not really 'playing' eve much let alone RPing so there's that. We can all do better.

John Revenent

• Taisho - Friendly Neighborhood Caldari Liberal (Punching Bag)
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #19 on: 06 Apr 2017, 15:16 »

We can all do better.

Agreed, but it takes the community as a whole to understand this for any progress to be made. Compared to a lot of communities I've found the one here has shrunk due to our unwillingness to bring in new blood without being overly critical of their RP.

When I first started RPing here, there was a unwritten rule. There is no urdoingitwrong, something I doubt many here remember.

Nissui

« Reply #20 on: 06 Apr 2017, 15:31 »

When I first started RPing here, there was a unwritten rule. There is no urdoingitwrong, something I doubt many here remember.

I wonder if there is anyone other than myself who feels they are not getting enough criticism. My suspicion is that there may be a history of it being rendered less than constructively, hence that rule.

Milo Caman

• Guerilla Gardener
  • Pod Captain
    • Out of Sinq
« Reply #21 on: 07 Apr 2017, 05:12 »

Careful, you're implying that there are no such thing as new roleplayers to EVE.

Forgive me for being cynical, but I've seen so many throwaway alts created for peoples vapid /sip ERP projects during my tenure here it has become rather difficult to maintain optimism when it comes to new characters doing roleplay. Real new roleplayers who will contribute in-channel and ingame are definitely the exception to the rule.

Semi-private/walled channels where the topic is focused and troublemakers can be reined in can work very well, but risk turning into circlejerking. There's a fine balance and I've yet to see anywhere that manages it well for more than a few months.

Jev North

• Egger
« Reply #22 on: 07 Apr 2017, 08:34 »

Forgive me for being cynical, but I've seen so many throwaway alts created for peoples vapid /sip ERP projects during my tenure here it has become rather difficult to maintain optimism when it comes to new characters doing roleplay. Real new roleplayers who will contribute in-channel and ingame are definitely the exception to the rule.
Oi, I like my ERP projects.  :|

Semi-private/walled channels where the topic is focused and troublemakers can be reined in can work very well, but risk turning into circlejerking. There's a fine balance and I've yet to see anywhere that manages it well for more than a few months.
Very few roleplay projects anywhere online last, in my experience. Collaborative world-building and roleplay exercises that run smoothly and last for years are a rare exception, and even they tend to wax and wane cyclically.

It's almost always going to be smaller groups focusing on more-or-less independent projects; it's almost never going to last forever, or even very long. I think if you and some friends can manage a few months, crank out some texts and logs, and meanwhile stay more or less connected and more or less friendly with the general outside world, you're actually doing great.
« Last Edit: 07 Apr 2017, 08:36 by Jev North »
Pinocchio forces another handful of flesh into his tiny wooden mouth. "You are what you eat," he sobs. "You are what you eat."

Ché Biko

• Space Buddho-Commu-Nihilist
  • Veteran
  • I'll face the stars or the abyss.
    • Biko's Backstage Character Thread
« Reply #23 on: 09 Apr 2017, 10:01 »

I wonder if there is anyone other than myself who feels they are not getting enough criticism.
I'm curious about the OOC perceptions about my char, so feel free to send me your "urdoingitwrong" critique, even if you eve-mail it with an alt.
For a long time, this quote of mine was preceded with "I haven't really gotten much, if any, criticism on my char and RP". I still feel like the people who don't like my char/style refrain from offering personal criticism.
-OOChé

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #24 on: 11 Apr 2017, 23:58 »

A lot of the things stated in this thread thus far are why I am very rarely seen interacting IC ingame or on the IGS these days, and am instead finding myself devoting the energy that I would have once put towards roleplaying in EVE, towards roleplaying in Black Desert.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Jev North

• Egger
« Reply #25 on: 12 Apr 2017, 01:38 »

Thank fuck you pop back in every once in a while to remind us how shit we are; that really helps.
Pinocchio forces another handful of flesh into his tiny wooden mouth. "You are what you eat," he sobs. "You are what you eat."

Sakura Nihil

• Egger
  • Glory
« Reply #26 on: 12 Apr 2017, 06:13 »

To be fair, we are shit :P.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #27 on: 13 Apr 2017, 03:26 »

If that was directed at me, Jev, it feels like you are getting offended on purpose when you should know full well that my comments have got very little to do with most people here (yourself included), and far more to do with a few specific individuals whose behavior and attitudes result in an environment that requires me to put in an unreasonable (and frankly, unfair) amount of energy just to get a chance at getting anything meaningful back out of the system, so to speak. I'm already dealing with an incredibly shitty RL situation; the last thing I really need to deal with is people stressing me out in a game where I'm trying to relax and detach/distract myself from said situation.

On top of that, if I actually had anything to do that didn't conflict with prior obligations, I'd be around more often. But I don't, so most of my time is spent where I get a much more favorable return on my investment.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.
Pages: 1 [2]