Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That high-orbit shuttle deployment is the most popular method of passenger and freight transportation from planets to space? Read more here.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Situation of "The Summit" IC channel  (Read 8402 times)

Lillith Blackheart

• Pod Captain
Re: Situation of "The Summit" IC channel
« Reply #30 on: 29 Jun 2010, 10:55 »

What Kal said.

In its entirety.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #31 on: 29 Jun 2010, 12:12 »

I've spent some time thinking about what other sorts of IC channels I could create. IRL, not all of us go to bars or nightclubs with any regularity. While I don't think the Sansha response conference really belonged in that channel (and I don't intend to re-open that debate), that sort of IC discussion does create a lot of interest. Technical discussions, for example -- but I'm not quite sure of the right angle or audience.

If somebody has a clue in that area, though, I'd like to try to support it. :)

The Cosmopolite

• Lord of Misrule
  • Wetgraver
    • eve-chatsubo OOC Forums
« Reply #32 on: 29 Jun 2010, 14:34 »

"There is no diplomacy between ideologues" – Nonsense.

Cardboard cut-out ideologues. Soi-disant ideologues. Armchair ideologues. Certainly these people are not interested in diplomacy. But so what? Such people are buffoons.

Real, practical-minded ideologues have every wish and desire to engage in diplomacy.

I hesitate to cast aspersions on anyone but possibly the quality of ideologues has been wanting rather than it being a structural problem with the very concept.

Cosmo

Kaleigh Doyle

« Reply #33 on: 29 Jun 2010, 21:59 »

Ah, so your answer to this channel isn't a feasible rp setting is... these people just suck at diplomacy.

Touché, Cosmo, touché.

It's not that I don't think its impossible, I just believe that most roleplay organizations are more ideologically motivated. I think the deafening silence that existed, and that now inhabits the channel simply proves my point that diplomacy might be a lost art, or simply done behind closed doors. Yet again another reason why it isn't really serving any purpose right now.

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #34 on: 29 Jun 2010, 22:07 »

On the occasions in which I have engaged in diplomacy, I certainly didn't do it in full view of the world.

Wanoah

• Omelette
  • Sweating spinal fluid
    • Hello!
« Reply #35 on: 01 Jul 2010, 08:28 »

There are very few actual 'corporations' in the roleplay community, unlike the rest of New Eden.

There are very few actual corporations in Eve, no? A corp genuinely can't function as a corp given the game mechanics. They are game guilds despite some heroic efforts to make it otherwise from some of the players. :/
Nothing worth saying is inoffensive to everyone

Blog | Fiction

Kaleigh Doyle

« Reply #36 on: 01 Jul 2010, 09:25 »

There are very few actual corporations in Eve, no? A corp genuinely can't function as a corp given the game mechanics. They are game guilds despite some heroic efforts to make it otherwise from some of the players. :/
Sorry Wan, this ain't WoW.

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #37 on: 01 Jul 2010, 09:35 »

I've seen quite a few groups attempting to operate as "actual corporations", or at least as for-profit organizations, without following typical gaming clan models. Not to say that the latter isn't more abundant, but I don't think we can really say there are "very few" of the former.

Lillith Blackheart

• Pod Captain
« Reply #38 on: 01 Jul 2010, 10:45 »

A corp genuinely can't function as a corp given the game mechanics.

Sure can. Including profit sharing and wages, if they so choose.

Mebrithiel

• My main is my falcon alt ♥
  • Egger
  • A wild Meb approaches!
    • Blood Inquisition
« Reply #39 on: 11 Jul 2010, 08:23 »

A corp genuinely can't function as a corp given the game mechanics.

Sure can. Including profit sharing and wages, if they so choose.

So true. Blood Inq and Cruoris was profit sharing to an extent, and Veto definately is. I think most piracy is profit-share tbh  :P

I expect profit-sharing is the norm for player corps as it's easier to use a guild mentality and profit-sharing works in that.

I've been wanting to do wage based forever, but people play eve to get away from the working norm lol   :roll:

Casiella

• Demigod
« Reply #40 on: 11 Jul 2010, 10:33 »

Started a spin-off topic on corp organizational models.

Kaleigh Doyle

« Reply #41 on: 15 Jul 2010, 21:27 »

I'd just like the note of the status of "The Summit" IC channel is now: *crickets*

Lillith Blackheart

• Pod Captain
« Reply #42 on: 15 Jul 2010, 22:40 »

Crickets and vomit, one may point out.

Someone may have suggested such a happening. . .

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
« Reply #43 on: 15 Jul 2010, 23:42 »

Can I make a suggestion?

I think the rule of not being able to use ((brackets)) is really, really dumb, it causes nothing but problems in the Summit, and it causes nothing but problems on the IGS.

Yes, there is the OOC channel, yes, I know. But the OOC channel has sort of spawned into its own thing, and it often has completely unrelated conversations going on in it, leading to: 1, interrupting the convo in progress and getting the people who were talking upset at you. 2, wait 20 minutes for the mail server to load and evemail them, then wait 20 more minutes for the reply message to load. 3, deal with your eve client freezing while it tries to open a private chat to discuss something that is normally, at most two or more lines of text.

Yes, if something gets complicated, or there is a lot of information, then it should go off into the OOC channel, but if its something quick, that needs to get said OOC, I see nothing wrong with using brackets.

like seriously? why all the bracket hate?
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Lillith Blackheart

• Pod Captain
« Reply #44 on: 15 Jul 2010, 23:47 »

Because OOC chatter is infectious, like I tried to explain to you, but you did not want to listen.

Sure, you may have exactly one line of two words to say.

But then that person replies to you.

Then someone replies to them.

Then someone replies to them.

Then someone replies...

Do you see where this is going?

It's infectious, and having OOC chatter in IC channels has been banned in damn near every online RP venue since the Red Dragon Inn on Quantum Link in the 1980s. It is done that way because it will break down the IC and overshadow it very quickly and very easily.

It's not allowed because if it is allowed it becomes abused, and then where do you draw the line? How do you create a line that is fair?

The only way to do it is to ban it completely, since it is entirely unnecessary. There are myriad other venues that you can relay the OOC chatter in. Use them.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4