Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Sani Sabik sectarian law-enforcement organization is called the Bleeders, and is a combination of priests and policemen? (The Burning Life, p. 18)

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: "Inheritance" and "One mind, one body"  (Read 3315 times)

Ashley

• Wetgraver
Re: "Inheritance" and "One mind, one body"
« Reply #15 on: 17 Jan 2017, 10:37 »

Sure, but True Stories was trying to capture some decidedly OOC mechanics and do so in a way that made sense to non-EVE players. It's a great read and I love having it but I don't know how much of it can apply in RP.

Although making a bunch of alts as " jump clones" of Casi is almost a good idea. Especially if we go all transhumanist and disregard genders and even bloodlines...
Sorry for the super late reply.

Yeah, absolutely true. Altho that said from EVE Source "... stories persist of people blurring the lines of personhood and indentity even further by cloning themselves into completely different bodies, across the gender and race gaps.", so that make it in a gray area of "quite possible".

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #16 on: 17 Jan 2017, 11:41 »

I would probably point out that in the case of the True Stories comic books, the person doing the writing abstracted the game mechanics heavily.

While it's certainly in the realm of possibility to jump clones into someone else, there are going to be a variety of assorted issues that result in it, not the least of it is that your proprioception is gonna be broken as fuck swapping between bodies that aren't close to identical.

I've always treated those comics IC as being exactly what they are OOC: embellished retellings of actual ingame events in a graphic novel format, and written by authors who aren't familiar with How Things Actually Work or are dumbing things down for their baseliner audience. So I tend not to take anything they say about technology with anything less than a Dead Sea's worth of salt.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Xepharious

• Egger
  • Building a home, one word at a time
    • What is you Origin Story?
« Reply #17 on: 17 Jan 2017, 15:02 »

One thing that I do play with in Sunswept is the idea that you could have a consciousness swap to a different body but that there would potentially be massive consequences for someone who did so unaided. Having your conscious mind try to acclimate to an entirely different nervous system would take a lot of time and effort and likely medical help.  Given that some fiction had that this was possible for capsuleers (The Broker) I didn't want to contradict that but instead focused on what it would take for a non-capsuleer to accomplish something like this.

Lucky for me, one of Origin's tenants is that Digital Sapience (Sentient AI in a biological body) is very much a thing. This gave me the avenue to assume that a digital format of human consciousness could theoretically be transplanted into a different body as well. In my opinion, consequences, good and bad, are the meat of any good plot so I didn't make it easy to do, but it is there.

I won't pretend that my work has any bearing on the community at large but if you were looking for at least some reference to the 'sci-fi science' behind it you are more than welcome to use what I put out there.

((Also, my most recent chapter dug into implants and how they interface with the mind a bit, for those who might want to play with that idea))
« Last Edit: 18 Jan 2017, 08:54 by Xepharious »
Xepharious
ALEXYLVA PARADOX | Sub-Coordinator | Recruiter
alexylva.webnode.com
What's your Origin Story?
http://www.alexylva-paradox.com/origin-tldr/

Ashley

• Wetgraver
« Reply #18 on: 18 Jan 2017, 06:08 »

I would probably point out that in the case of the True Stories comic books, the person doing the writing abstracted the game mechanics heavily.

While it's certainly in the realm of possibility to jump clones into someone else, there are going to be a variety of assorted issues that result in it, not the least of it is that your proprioception is gonna be broken as fuck swapping between bodies that aren't close to identical.

I've always treated those comics IC as being exactly what they are OOC: embellished retellings of actual ingame events in a graphic novel format, and written by authors who aren't familiar with How Things Actually Work or are dumbing things down for their baseliner audience. So I tend not to take anything they say about technology with anything less than a Dead Sea's worth of salt.
Considering capsuleers, wouldn't proprioception be even more of a problem when "embodying" a ship with camera drone flying about  as your visual system . Always thought that's why mind lock happens to untrained and incompatible participants.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #19 on: 18 Jan 2017, 09:51 »

It's a problem for both. Imagine just how much of your daily life is spent doing things that you don't even think about anymore. Walking, picking up (or putting down) objects. Sitting down. Fine motor control like typing, writing, eating with utensils.

Now imagine you suddenly are in a body that is NOT the same size, shape or build as the one you're been inhabiting for long enough that all that to become second nature. None of those things will be 'easy' or second nature anymore. If you just try to do it without thinking deliberately about it you are very likely to screw it up. Your perception of your physical 'self' within the environment around you is no longer accurate, and actions based on your old physical self are likely going to be either under- or over-compensating as a result.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Jev North

• Egger
« Reply #20 on: 18 Jan 2017, 10:31 »

It might not be an insurmountable problem, given that we have magic hardware and skillbooks that can massage your neurons into a shape where they can control a wide variety of starships and equipment, never mind a slightly-differently shaped body. It would probably be a discipline of its own, though, with specialized implants, equipment, and training for specific bodies required, not some willy-nilly decanting into any ol' clone.
« Last Edit: 18 Jan 2017, 10:32 by Jev North »
Pinocchio forces another handful of flesh into his tiny wooden mouth. "You are what you eat," he sobs. "You are what you eat."
Pages: 1 [2]