Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Slaver-hounds aren't a type of dog? For more information see here.

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Games that Capsuleers Play  (Read 4383 times)

Sakura Nihil

• Egger
  • Glory
Games that Capsuleers Play
« on: 27 Nov 2016, 21:43 »

So, I'm curious about something - what "games" do capsuleers play in their free time?

Obviously, there's the PF references to things like Mindclash, but we can't very well play that in-game now, can we?  Poker, or at least card games of the sort, seem to be accepted to some degree IC in chat between capsuleers (looking at you on that one, Norrin! :P), but what else is played?  Board games, or their futuristic analogues?  Other sorts of simulation games?

Reason I ask is that I think games like poker, board games, or the like could be fun community-building exercises if done IC.  Case in point, I think it'd be amazing if there was a Summit version of Cards Against Humanity, but I'm not sure how much that might be crossing the IC/OOC divide.

Thoughts, opinions?

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
Re: Games that Capsuleers Play
« Reply #1 on: 27 Nov 2016, 22:49 »

Crossing the IC/OOC divide and also potentially violating the TOS, given some of the cards. :P

Chess or something similar, no doubt. I've seen people reference Hologames. PnP style roleplaying games, even.

Sakura Nihil

• Egger
  • Glory
« Reply #2 on: 27 Nov 2016, 23:02 »

Honestly, a roleplaying game within EVE RP within the EVE universe would be quite amusing to see.  Like, seeing how our characters roleplay other characters, that could be in Inception right there!

Hell, cards or even a board game like the Danger Game that could be handwaved as "some future equivalent" would be fine as well.  I just think a lot of in-game community and fellowship is built through common experiences like these, it would be good to see some of them played out.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #3 on: 28 Nov 2016, 00:09 »

Morwen plays hologames in her spare time as a way to relax and to spend time with people close to her. Since I'm often doing this with the players behind those characters, pretty much every other game I play I usually assume some IC analogue. I don't always give the games names though.

Some examples:
- She played some equivalent of Mass Effect with Karmilla Strife a LOT. Like, we played almost every night for a year after ME3 was released.
- She's played some equivalent of World of Warships (jokingly referred to as World of Raataships) with a number of people on and off. Some of those people might have included Ali, Lunarisse, Makoto, Steff, Kaae, Naava, and Seraphim.
- She plays some equivalent of Warframe with a few ARC people like Onslaughtor, and occasionally Parious, Steff, and Kaae.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Sakura Nihil

• Egger
  • Glory
« Reply #4 on: 28 Nov 2016, 00:20 »

See, that's something I'd love to see done... I'm sure a number of games might fit the bill at the moment, like Stellaris, or maybe Mass Effect: Andromeda once it's released.  Even a nice poker night or something could be fun, if someone has a means of hosting it (RIP EOH-Poker).

Utari Onzo

« Reply #5 on: 28 Nov 2016, 04:56 »

Like any good Civire, Utari has a gambling and poker vice. Another game I could see a varient on is Mahjong and other classic games that can be played quickly, discretely and bet on.

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #6 on: 28 Nov 2016, 07:39 »

If something like Stellaris didn't exist IC, we'd need to invent it.

The Rook

• Watcher in the Void
  • Egger
    • FalconNET
« Reply #7 on: 28 Nov 2016, 10:27 »

And here I was wondering sometimes why people are so questionably talented at the IC/OOC divide.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #8 on: 28 Nov 2016, 10:33 »

Well, in fairness, I don't assume that every game I play with other roleplayers happened IC too. Only if we're both okay with it.

Karm's the only one who really made a regular thing out of it with me though so :p
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

The Rook

• Watcher in the Void
  • Egger
    • FalconNET
« Reply #9 on: 28 Nov 2016, 10:38 »

Granted, if everyone's on board, so be it. But it does strike me as very, very odd when that is not the exception. To sate my curiosity: What are you talking about when playing ME or WoWs that qualifies it as IC/roleplay and not just banter with a gaming friend?

Ashley

• Wetgraver
« Reply #10 on: 28 Nov 2016, 10:54 »

Conquest is an IC thing too. CCP showed it when they were working on WiS.
link

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #11 on: 28 Nov 2016, 11:44 »

Reclaimer Lords, a grand strategy game set in the pre-spaceflight Amarr Empire.

You play the role of a Holder, and your objective is to manage your realms economically, as well as politically, making allegiances with others, and indeed sometimes breaking them, in order to advance your family's standing in the Empire. Marriage is one of the tools available to do this, and one of the many challenges in the game is trying to make the best out of a bad situation when your heir is not as competent as you might have wanted. Take part in a variety of scenarios, from the unification of Amarr Island, to the conquest of Ves-Udor, to the final reclaiming of Kathis, that completed the Reclaiming, or play the Grand Campaign, taking place over hundreds of years and multiple generations of your ingame family. Enter combat against rival Holders, rebellious cultists, heathen Khanid tribes, heretic Udorians, and more.

This may sound somewhat familiar... <.< >.>
\o/

Casiella

• Demigod
  • Creation is so precious, and greed so destructive.
« Reply #12 on: 28 Nov 2016, 13:19 »

I don't know why CK couldn't be represented as-is... I mean, if it had an Amarrian mod... ;)

Probably some space shmups would be popular too, in an entirely different genre.

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #13 on: 28 Nov 2016, 15:04 »

Granted, if everyone's on board, so be it. But it does strike me as very, very odd when that is not the exception. To sate my curiosity: What are you talking about when playing ME or WoWs that qualifies it as IC/roleplay and not just banter with a gaming friend?

I haven't done it myself (and I don't know how Morwen did it), but if I did something like this, I would probably use it mostly as a shared experience referenced later between the characters during 'regular' RP, whether or not there was much RP done during the actual playing (particularly as depending on the game there may not be much chatter, or mostly just talk that is relevant to coordinating what you are doing.)

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #14 on: 28 Nov 2016, 16:03 »

Yeeeah. What Silver said. We're not EVE-RPing while playing.

But in the case w/ Karm, both characters play games in their spare time. Both of our characters are on good terms IC, and know each other. Since we were playing the game a lot together it started as a bit of a joke and then we decided hey why not run with it?

For the other stuff, it's sort of handwaved in the sense that Morwen has a fair bit of downtime, much of which is spent with certain individuals among her corpmates, who also happen to enjoy hologames IC. So we - collectively - sometimes handwave that non-EVE gaming activity as being a thing that the characters do together when we're not doing EVE stuff.

At the end of the day, our characters have lives that don't just freeze in place when we log off or go AFK. It provides extra material to RP with if you have some idea of what they're doing while you're not "paying attention" to them, so to speak.
« Last Edit: 28 Nov 2016, 16:09 by Morwen Lagann »
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
Pages: [1] 2 3