Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Samuel Rackham Premium Caldari Ale is made with aroma hops from the widely recognized agricultural facilities of Haatomo III? For more, see here.

Author Topic: What an isk is worth?  (Read 1124 times)

Tacitrain

• Clonejack
What an isk is worth?
« on: 27 Jun 2010, 14:17 »

There was a topic on the eve fiction section(here) asking how much 1 isk really is in the EVE universe.  I wondered what you all thought about it.  

If you gave a member of your crew 1isk what would her reaction be?

Ken

• Will Rule for Food
  • Veteran
  • Must Love Robots
Re: What an isk is worth?
« Reply #1 on: 27 Jun 2010, 14:26 »

Quote from: Tacitrain
If you gave a member of your crew 1isk what would her reaction be?

Not sure, really.  One ISK doesn't buy much on the SCC market, but it could be exchanged for a local currency with greater relevance to a non-capsuleer.  There may be some answers for you in here.

Silver Night

• Admin
  • Demigod
  • Elitist Oldtimer
« Reply #2 on: 27 Jun 2010, 15:01 »

It's tough to say exactly how ISK would convert into some RL currency. It's a trade currency, though, designed for dealing in large quantities of goods etc, and it's value probably reflects that. I've always figured that in terms of buying power, it's somewhere from $70-300/isk.

I'd say a crew member would be happy enough about it, but the options for converting a single ISK into a more liquid local currency might be limited, depending on where you are.

Hamish Grayson

« Reply #3 on: 27 Jun 2010, 19:37 »

(posting from I phone so this won't be pretty).

http://www.eve-chatsubo.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1078&hilit=value+of+isk Has some insights.  In my opinion the price of warships doesn't work since it takes only hours to turn a asteriod into a frigate and today a frigate takes years to build.

Foodstuffs would be a better standard I if transportation from planets to space didnt additional costs.   However we know it does since only the wealthy can afford wood products because of the added cost of shipping from planet to outer space.  We know from PI that rockets to space only cost tens of thousands of isk for tens of thousands cubic meters.  Yet the few extra credit per cubic meter seems enough to make something of almost zero cost to harvest only affordable to the ultra wealthy.

The price of factory and office rental might be a better standard.  

Isobel Mitar

• Egger
« Reply #4 on: 28 Jun 2010, 03:58 »

No exact figures, but this gives some idea about magnitude: http://www.eveonline.com/mb2/news.asp?nid=2340

Specifically: "To put this in perspective, an average family living on a planet might, in the course of a lifetime, accrue savings of about 10,000 isk."