Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That 'Ancestors choke!' is a Caldari expression of disbelief or astonishment?

Author Topic: [Character] Felise Selunix  (Read 1434 times)

LifeNTimes

• Clonejack
[Character] Felise Selunix
« on: 27 Jun 2016, 15:40 »

Well, here goes nuttin'... feel free to leave thoughts/ideas/advice!  I'm in sponge-mode :)

When I was creating my character, I looked at my cat and thought...'what if you were a character in a sci-fi space opera?' and the result of this looney idea is what you see below.  I was intrigued by the Minmatar tribal-based take on republicanism and Vherokior offered a character who would probably be raised to believe that institutions were important, but optional.  That family was important, but more so for business connections than for personal acceptance.  All of that seemed to jibe with a character that would be interesting as a trader/industrialist type.  Plus, there's this:

"Vherokior females are renowned for their shrewd minds when it comes to business and trade. Their bartering skills are second to non and they possess exactly the right mixture of sense and intuition to excel in both commerce and industry."

That's pretty much the human form of my cat in a nutshell.  Plus, I like characters that find a way around obstacles rather than through them.  I also wanted to subvert some of the things that I tend to see in sci-fi space stuff.  Instead of being a mysterious loner, I gave her a large and pretty well-off family that she loves, but that can also be overbearing and boorish.  Plus, I made her generally unmotivated and glib about the politics and upheaval around her, which may or may not be a way of coping with the chaos of it all. 

I'm still trying to figure out how she relates to the different factions in the game, what type of activities/ideas really move her, and what's so bad about being a largely unencumbered child from a wealthy family that she chose the rigors and dangers of capsuleer life instead, but for now, I've got a start.

Below is a basic data thingy and a couple of snippets from Felise's IGS welcome.  Feel free to offer any ideas/questions/hot takes if you've got 'em.  ;)

Name: Felise Selunix
DED Callsign: Felix Selunix
Bloodline: 92% Vherokior 6% Sebeistor 2% Amarrian
Blood Type: B+
Height: 167 (5' 6”)
Weight: 63 Kilos (139 lbs)
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour:Green/Hazel
Political Alignment: None
Date of Birth: January 21st, YC96
Place of Birth: Magiko II, Magiko, Heimatar
Employment History: Pator Tech School Corporation- Current

DED Threat Assessment: Low
Notes: Personality profile strongly suggests subject should avoid low-sec and nullsec space on a regular basis.

Personality Assessment: Passive Activity Outlook.  Intelligent, cooperative, and sociable when approached.  Subject is a methodical and strategic creative thinker but slow and unmotivated when putting ideas into action.  Subject also presents as a dedicated loner with no strong political or organizational relationships, save her extended family and friends.  According to psychological profile 001A, the subject has conflicting feelings about her familial relationship and future career options, perhaps stemming from Anxiety related to increased independence and unrealistic and toxic expectations from internal and external forces.  This present as a glib attitude towards institutions and political and religious ideas.  Subject enjoys wide variety of cultural activities and topics and also seems to possess innate understanding of negotiation and logistics that seem rooted in a combination of natural ability and her upbringing.  Occupational assets infer that the subject is ill-suited for regular combat, dedicated mission-running, or exploration-related activity.

Physical Assessment: Subject is in pique physical condition, possessing incredible reflexes, agility, hand-eye coordination, and body control, as well as an ability to quickly assess and react to physical dangers almost by instinct.  However, due to a reoccurring genetic condition, the subject has difficulty sustaining physical activity at times and possesses a tendency towards sudden sleepiness.  However, with proper physical regimentation, this condition should have no long-term adverse effects on the subject's ability to be a competent capsuleer.

In her words:  "Everyone worked for the family business in one way or another because, as my mother and aunts are fond of saying ‘where would we be without family’ to which I reply with my famous retort, ‘whatever.’ I knew that if I didn’t make it as a capsuleer, I’d spend my life keeping a handle on my business while following the lead of my aunts, my mother, and eventually, my older sister. I wanted to do something on my own and being a capsuleer was my ticket."

"I did learn a lot about logistics, administration, and negotiation, which proved useful to helping me excel in the capsuleer program and win a few friends, one of which lost her life during her capsuleer trials and whom I still miss from time to time.  Those skills also earned me the nickname ‘sneakthief’ from some of the students, which I’ve decided to interpret as a term of endearment."

"My twin brother Festuvar and I were the 4th and 5th children born into our family in ’96, a couple of 'happy accidents' according to my dad.. We grew up in the Selunix Family compound in the middle of the capital city surrounded by relatives. My family is part of the larger Lollore Merchant Clan which operates a number of retail and logistic-oriented businesses throughout the Cluster. Ever stopped to buy a Quafe at one of those ‘Happy Land’ convenience stores or take a quick meal at a Pasito’s or Sjora's bistro? Then congratulations, you’ve been touched by that special Lollore magic."
"Cynicism is fear, and it's worse than fear - it's active disengagement."

LifeNTimes

• Clonejack
Re: [Character] Felise Selunix
« Reply #1 on: 22 Aug 2016, 22:55 »

Timely character update!

So after a couple of months in the capsule, Felise's personality has changed in subtle ways.  The first thing that I've noticed is that she's much more philosophical (and long-winded!) than she first appeared to be to me.  I think her smart-ass attitude is usually reserved for people who take themselves way too seriously or those who attempt to bully.  When confronted with thoughtful conversation, she can actually be quite sober and deep, at least for someone in their early 20's.

I also think that she's found a new sense of patriotism that surprises her and is interesting to play around with.  I like that it doesn't present as a need to do any flag-waving or fighting 'for the Republic,' but instead she seems to be drawn to Minmatar's place in the political and economic structure of the Cluster at large.  On top of that, she has a renewed attachment to her family, Clan, and Tribe that I totally didn't expect.

A lot of this seems to be a result of her experiences with the SOE Dagan arc and her complicated relationship with Sister Alitura, who I expected to be a one-off character, but who has turned into sort of an unexpected mentor of sorts.  She's the one that pushes Felise to come to grips with her paralyzing fear of failure and being seen as afraid by other capsuleers.  The Sis also seems to make it clear that she could care less about trying to make an impression on Felise, which is upsetting because she's used to having people around her trying to get her to 'act right,' which is of course a good way to get attention.

Right now, Felise is taking Sister Alitura's advice and trying her hand at exploration before going into station trading.  She's trying to get the hang of exploring in lowsec and not getting blown up and is coming to grips with failure (a lot!) for the first time.  At the same time, the wealth that she's been able to accumulate and her capsuleer experiences are taking her further from her family just as her twin brother Festuvar is graduating from the capsuleer space and joining her in the cap life.

I think Felise is coming closer to understanding that she wants to do something big and different in the world, which scares her to death, which she's afraid to actually admit, so I'm sure that'll come up quite a bit soon.

Arnulf Ogunkoya

• Moral Compass (apparently)
  • Pod Captain
    • Livejournal profile
« Reply #2 on: 23 Aug 2016, 13:00 »

I've enjoyed interacting with her. Oh, something to remember. If memory serves it was Vherokior shamans that perfected and kept alive the knowledge of how to perform the Voluval ceremony. And how to make the nanite concoctions that are injected as part of it.

I would expect a mainstream Vherokior clan to have a religious side to it, even if it is an understated one.
Kind Regards,
Arnulf Ogunkoya.

LifeNTimes

• Clonejack
« Reply #3 on: 24 Aug 2016, 13:27 »

Thanks!  The same goes for Arnulf.  I really like the story of his Clan and how he's reconciling his father's new Clan with his mother's more established one.

Yeah, I've kinda given the Loglur's spiritual side short shrift so far, but I definitely want to delve into it, since traditionally at least half of the Clan are mystics of some sort, though that's been changing over the past two generation as the shamanic line broke away. I think that since they're such an international Clan in general that the spiritual side has kind of stayed buried in a way.  Still there's that element to bring in.  Maybe through a sibling or older relative?

Thanks for the tips!