Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Kaalakiota, or KK, is the largest of the Caldari megacorporations, and was run by Tibus Heth.

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Faded Light [IDNO] - Recruiting capsuleers to help Caldari-Gallente peace  (Read 4070 times)

Sakura Nihil

• Egger
  • Glory

I remain confident that a decent small gang can usually bring enough tools to win a fight, whereas solo pilots often have to hope that they called the engagement profile or else find themselves committed to the fight their ship can't win.

I see what you're getting at on this, but I'd like to add one disclaimer - choosing your fights as a solo pilot is critical.  Its essential that you either have a means of controlling range (speed, neuts, long-range webs/scrams, etc.), or the ability to set an initial range against your opponent that they have to overcome.

Case in point, plexes (which I love) allow me to enter them, pull substantial range inside them, and no one can warp directly on top of me.  They all have to come in through the chokepoint that is acceleration gate, meaning I can selectively warp out if a frigate swarm lands or (more ideally) pull yet more range and spread them out, creating a series of fights one-after-another that I can win.

Not saying I can't or won't engage outside them, but they're a great defensive tool that should be used by soloers whenever possible.  It's like having a hill nearby you, but camping at the base of it - use it to your advantage.

Nissui

Case in point, plexes (which I love) allow me to enter them, pull substantial range inside them, and no one can warp directly on top of me.  They all have to come in through the chokepoint that is acceleration gate, meaning I can selectively warp out if a frigate swarm lands...

QFFT. It was the only way to go for me.

Mizhir

• Egger
  • Vherocool

The model I'm trying to create for Faded Light is that of "solo pilot first", being able to think and operate independently without instructions from someone higher-up, but at the same time being able to assemble and run in (or lead) a wolfpack themselves.  Give me a year, or two, and that's the kind of organization I want to command.  I don't care if it's only 6 pilots, give me 6 wolves versus a pack of 50 sheep, and I'll bet on the wolves everytime.

(hopefully I get more than 6 people, though!)

I recently returned to EVE and my corpmates recently started doing friggangs in FW space. And I must say that I have been having a blast with it. Over 2 roams I have gotten 73kills. All kills has been from roaming in frig/dessie wolfpacks (10ppl + 1 alt at the first roam and 8ppl at the 2nd) and all without a single loss. It has been an eyeopener for me to see how fun and effective it can be with a handful of talented pilots in a frig wolfpack in FW space. And I can imagine it is the same goal you are going for. So I sincerly wish you good luck with the corp because this is just way to fun and I hope other people get to experiance it as well aside from us 'elitists' from Thera :P And hopefully your effort with the corp can get more people interested in the smallscale combat.

Mizhir

• Egger
  • Vherocool

Case in point, plexes (which I love) allow me to enter them, pull substantial range inside them, and no one can warp directly on top of me.  They all have to come in through the chokepoint that is acceleration gate, meaning I can selectively warp out if a frigate swarm lands...

QFFT. It was the only way to go for me.

I completely disagree with you two. I absolutely hate the way it gives the defender the advantage of choosing starting distance and how it forces the attack to commit. It may be because I mostly nano and I am too impatient to sit in a plex and would rather roam, but I would much prefer to have the ability to warp in at range and then being able to poke the gang / try to seperate them. By entering a plex I feel that I give up control and there is nothing I can do about it.

Jev North

• Egger

It is a roll of the dice.

But hey, punching into a plex knowing it's going to be a hairy mess on the warp-in is one of the ways I can still get my heart rate up more than a few notches.
Pinocchio forces another handful of flesh into his tiny wooden mouth. "You are what you eat," he sobs. "You are what you eat."

Nissui

It is a roll of the dice.

Aye. D-scan revealed exactly where I was. Both of us knew only the hull, maybe a potential fit if it was a large system and there was time to read lossmails. They had the option of rolling through to the next system, which most of them did. Those that wanted a fight, came and got one.

Actually that is not even true, since I buggered off when I knew the Rifter was far outclassed. Choosing the engagement and all that.

Pieter Tuulinen

• Tacklebitch
  • Pod Captain

Which is why we used to send a tanky ship with a scrambler through to get point before the rest of us piled in. :)

Sakura Nihil

• Egger
  • Glory

The one thing I'll say about outposts is that they're a great defensive asset.  Case in point, I was patrolling Thursday night in the Worm and I got two Worms and a Breacher dropped on my head... or rather, they would have dropped on my head if they could have probed me down and warped to me directly.  Instead, they landed 100km off me at the outpost entrypoint.

Having killed (and apparently riled up) one or two of the people in question the night before, I figured it was highly likely the gang was formed to kill me, and upon maneuver when they refused to separate out in distance, I pulled range and left.  Had that been on a gate or planet or anything like that, I wouldn't have had the time I needed to assess the situation that I like.

Will we be more aggressive in the future?  Sure, if the numbers increase and we have enough manpower to do it.  For now, gotta maximize the odds of winning and survival as much as possible.
Pages: 1 [2]