Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Lai Dai Infinity Systems is a capsuleer partner of the Lai Dai Corporation? Read more here

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: is it possible that Foley CAN be a failed prototype ?  (Read 7894 times)

Pieter Tuulinen

• Tacklebitch
  • Pod Captain
Re: is it possible that Foley CAN be a failed prototype ?
« Reply #15 on: 01 Aug 2013, 00:52 »

Alright, enough with the talk of pitchforks and torches and Bangkok surprises.

Foley has been pretty active since Dust got connected to TQ, and he's always asked questions when he doesn't know or understand something, and on top of that he does acknowledge responses given whether they affirm or contradict what he expects to be the answer. Be nice.

That out of the way: I personally agree with the notion that a first-gen soldier is probably a poor starting point for the reasons given by others here. If you spend some time reading up on the origins and history of the clone soldiers (not just via the wiki and Templar One, but also through all of the Dust 514 and EVE chronicles that touch on it) you should be able to find a lot of information to work with.

You don't have to do away with the 'failed prototype' concept, though. I'm sure that the second-gen soldiers with the non-sleeper-origin implants also have their own run of issues that may or may not have left lingering effects on the soldiers even as they moved into clones with 'fixed' implants.

Anslo raises a good point, too - if you can catch Schere sometime you should talk to her; she not only likes neuroscience stuff in EVE and does a lot of stuff with it with her own character, but she also likes helping other people work related things into their own stuff. :)

Hey, you totally misunderstand my aims here. Anything that gets Foley off the more bombastic stuff he does in the Summit (seriously, if we had a ban on commiting suicide in the Summit, he'd have been permabanned by now) and onto roleplaying something I can / want to interact with  is a good thing in my book.

What I don't want is him to go the route of the sparkling space-vampire lovechild of Heth and Jamyl. I feel that first generation clone trooper with a howling alien thing in his mind would BE that sort of a background. Hence I try and prod him away from doing it.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #16 on: 01 Aug 2013, 05:28 »

I think the both of you also misunderstood my point there.

He originally asked ingame. I sent him here partly because here that sort of thing (pitchforks, torches, all that shit) shouldn't even need to come up. It wasn't necessary for either you or Vince to say anything about getting fucked sideways by "The Community" - especially to Foley of all people.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Anslol

« Reply #17 on: 01 Aug 2013, 07:56 »

He originally asked ingame. I sent him here partly because here that sort of thing (pitchforks, torches, all that shit) shouldn't even need to come up. It wasn't necessary for either you or Vince to say anything about getting fucked sideways by "The Community" - especially to Foley of all people.

Like I said before, the kid tries, he really does. Compared to others his age, he's a freaking paragon. He's civil, polite, and isn't spamming bullshit everywhere. I, personally, love some of his antics. Sometimes it's a weeeee bit too violent. But, the cooking, the shrapnel, the drinking of cocoa through an emergency induction port, the scarf, had me in fucking stitches. It reminded me of a live action Romantically Apocalyptic. Love love love the less-violent antics. And anything potentially off PF, he ALWAYS asks. That kid, to me, is like the little brother I never had (that I got along with anyway).

But back on topic, the implant incompatibility issue is a great way to go. Jonesy, Schere is focusing more on RL and school atm so, if you want help with this, I would be happy to. Just send me eve mails and i'll work with ya.

FOLEY JONES BANGKOK13-waitwat....

Avio Yaken

• .________________________________________.
  • Egger
« Reply #18 on: 01 Aug 2013, 11:05 »

but if i get fucked sideways then a get a free necklace right?

Real talk:
Morwen i appreciate the standing up for me yet you must know

should had i asked thisin the DUST 514 fourms? i wouldn't get fucked sideways - i would be brutality raped - have my family murdered - have my organs ripped out & sold on the black market - and thrown in a ditch.......those 2 i can tell were actually trying to help, i could tell

Lyn Farel

« Reply #19 on: 01 Aug 2013, 12:43 »

I believe in Foley Jones.

Anslol

« Reply #20 on: 01 Aug 2013, 12:53 »

Pieter Tuulinen

• Tacklebitch
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #21 on: 01 Aug 2013, 13:30 »

I believe in Truth, Justice and the FN-FAL Self Loading Rifle.

And I'm not too sure about Truth or Justice.

Ollie

• Egger
« Reply #22 on: 03 Aug 2013, 23:45 »

Instead of failed, Foley could have a genetic incompatibility issue with some of his implants and augmentations that may have damaged the cerebrum. This in turn could have blocked specific synapses from forming links and enabling recall of supposedly 'lost' memories. If Scherezad see's this post, she can elaborate on the possibility of this scenario's use and its accuracy should she be so inclined.

Or to go with Occam's razor (and I think this is probably what you were suggesting), the implants/augmentations could have just burnt/damaged those connections. Think of a stroke, effecting the memory centres of the brain.

The only (slightly) tricky thing here is how to RP ongoing side effects of this (if any). But from a creative side? Imagine a personality unable to (fully) convert short term memory into long term memory - goldfish syndrome/anterograde amnesia, similar to or a variation on what's seen in the film Momento. What about an inability to store/express certain aspects of a memory - the auditory component for example, so they can remember what they saw/felt but don't have the soundtrack to play along with it? This one would probably need to be explained with a certain amount of pseudo-neuroscience handwaivium but we're talking about sci fi where people shove uncomfortable artificial constructs in their heads.

And besides, so much is still unknown about how the brain functions there's always wiggle room for a well-thought out and unique explanation for why character X does Y in this context.

The biggest disadvantage of trying to RP a gen-1 clone soldier is what Vince pointed out - sorry Morgen, but it does have an element of truth to it that most of us have seen play out in the past.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #23 on: 04 Aug 2013, 06:48 »

*sigh* :bash:

People are not listening to a word I say. Never anywhere did I say it wasn't true, or an inaccurate statement to make.

What I said, was that saying it here was unnecessary because it's something everyone, Foley included, already knows, and I had directed Foley to post to ask here specifically so we wouldn't have to waste time with those comments.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Ollie

• Egger
« Reply #24 on: 04 Aug 2013, 17:37 »

People are not listening to a word I say. Never anywhere did I say it wasn't true, or an inaccurate statement to make.

:cube:

Apologies for appearing to not be listening. In truth, the sentence that prompted your reply was poorly constructed and not meant to convey the meaning you've attached to it (although I can see how it did).

Now let's get back on topic, presuming there's anything left to say on it. :)

Avio Yaken

• .________________________________________.
  • Egger
« Reply #25 on: 04 Aug 2013, 17:46 »

:cube:

Apologies for appearing to not be listening. In truth, the sentence that prompted your reply was poorly constructed and not meant to convey the meaning you've attached to it (although I can see how it did).

Now let's get back on topic, presuming there's anything left to say on it. :)

lets have everyone call me a derp & catacomp this thread :l

Anslol

« Reply #26 on: 05 Aug 2013, 06:49 »

No don't catacomb it. It's not derpy for asking a question. You aren't god modding or doing anything derp worthy. You're taking the time and effort to become a fully informed, well loved RP'er with a great character. Never think your questions or ideas are something to be catacombed.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #27 on: 05 Aug 2013, 07:08 »

If anything another mod may come by and snip the off-topic stuff. I would, but I posted, so :P

I think there's a solid idea in keeping him a second-gen soldier who is having compatibility issues with the implants - whether it's due to having prototype/older versions of the second-gen implants, or due to Foley's genetics or other biological stuff, would be up to you.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:

Gottii

• A Booty-full Mind
  • Veteran
« Reply #28 on: 05 Aug 2013, 15:39 »

Yeah, Foley, you dont know me, but this post is the exact opposite of derp.  While doing a character by committee can be frought with problems, asking for PF insight is always a good thing. 

"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"
― Isaac Asimov
Pages: 1 [2]