Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Sukuuvestaa megacorporation owns as much as 1/3 of all real estate in the Caldari State, and is considered one of the State's most ruthless corporations?

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Volunteer GMs  (Read 6804 times)

Veiki

• Egger
Re: Volunteer GMs
« Reply #30 on: 23 Sep 2016, 19:01 »

I think I take it too far. Probably the only two things people absolutely need are consent and coordination for, yes, boundaries, like you said Gesakaarin. What kind of set boundaries have you found that work well for all parties involved?

The boundary setting for me isn't in general, but rather specific to the nature of the character Veikitamo Gesakaarin. She is not a nice person. Her entire animus as a character is a fanatical drive to serve her Company and fulfill the vision, as she sees it, of Matias Sobaseki and his legacy as it exists in Kaalakiota. That she is willing to do anything, and sacrifice everything to achieve that aim. As such the establishment of boundaries in an adversarial paradigm revolve around a) why she would involve herself with a character given the above context and b) a recognition that if she's the type of woman who will gladly burn her own reputation and machine gun as many people as needed next to a ditch for the Company she is not going to care about the welfare of their character if given due cause.

That's why I find having a convo window open helpful for OOC rapport building and discussion while scenarios unfold so that parties involved have a clearer understanding of what they want out of it. However it's always dependent on the personalities and characters involved as to whether or not the particular RP descends into a complete shitshow or slapfight.

My own experience of RP, and not only in Eve, is that it usually does because those involved desperately want the validation/attention/pat on the back by, "winning", and wanting to show others how super awesome they are. Instead of just looking at it as trying to create interesting interactions between those involved and working towards building something everyone can get something out of.

Which is why 90% of RP in Eve is just mediocre drama driven by mediocre personalities to me.
« Last Edit: 23 Sep 2016, 19:03 by Gesakaarin »

Veiki

• Egger
Re: Volunteer GMs
« Reply #31 on: 24 Sep 2016, 02:05 »

In retrospect that last sentence was a bit of hyperbole on my part, but to elaborate on it: roleplaying is a lot like doing improv drama/comedy. It's about collaboration in good faith and taking an interest both in the other player and the character they have constructed. When all parties involved do it, it's great. However when people just want to have the attention and spotlight shined on them at all times, and act like a diva when it's not, that's when RP rapidly becomes a shitshow.

So yeah, when an adversarial scenario becomes about one or both parties trying to fish for the win in some kind of absurd one-upmanship contest that's when all the drama comes out.
Pages: 1 2 [3]