Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

that "Operation Trinity Vanguard" was the code name for the defense of the Incursions in Anyed, Antem and Imya. The Anti-Incursion fleets contisted over 800 pilots from CVA, KotMC, Moira., Star Fraction, FCORD, SYNE Coalition and countless other corps and alliances.

Author Topic: Greetings to everyone!  (Read 1430 times)

Capt. Pete Johnson

• Clonejack
Greetings to everyone!
« on: 24 Jul 2016, 06:13 »

Hello, I am Capt. Pete Johnson (OOC Pete). I have been on and off playing Eve Online since 2008. I thought I would make a new character and try to get into the RP element of the game. I would like to start a daily channel of my exploits, but I have some questions if anyone can help point me in the direction to get accurate answers. The first big one is: How does one become a capsuleer? Are you selected, or is it a proceedure you have to purchace, or, as in the case of the Amarr, do you have to prove your piety... I am sure that cannon documentation exists somewhere, but now that CCP no longer manages a wiki, I am not sure what is accurate cannon. I have also seen that crew is cannon aboard capsuleer vessels. I guess in short, where is the best place to get real in game lore to build character background from.

Thanks for the read and help. See y'all in the verse. Fly safe. o7

Ché Biko

• Space Buddho-Commu-Nihilist
  • Veteran
  • I'll face the stars or the abyss.
    • Biko's Backstage Character Thread
Re: Greetings to everyone!
« Reply #1 on: 24 Jul 2016, 07:15 »

-OOChé

The Rook

• Watcher in the Void
  • Egger
    • FalconNET
« Reply #2 on: 24 Jul 2016, 07:32 »

Hi and welcome on the board.

How to become a capsuleer:

You have to win the genetic lottery. That means your body and psyche is capable of withstanding the trauma of getting the implants as well as completing the training to be able to use them properly. The game has all player capsuleers graduate from (empire) faction owned schools. Once graduated you are as free as you can be within the confines of CONCORD.
So aside from lucking out there are more or less limitless reasons how or why one would get his training. As CONCORD more or less protects us independant (player)  capsuleers - those not playing by the rules get sanctioned but not shut down - you can even use the capsuleer thing as a 'get out of jail free' card, assuming that once your signature is on the training contract you are CONCORD's bitch, and all the cops and inquisitors in the world can't touch you anymore.

Crews:
While the thought of using crew in cannons is interesting in itself the answer to your question is as follows:
Adjusted chart or original chart. The latter is originally from the 2011 Fanfest panel and has been revisioned slightly afterwards to the numbers in the blog entry.
Let me explain it quickly:
  • Minimum crew represents: Navigation. Getting from A to B.
  • Maximum crew represents: Full combat capability. It can be assumed that more experienced capsuleers can reduce this number somewhat - no crew has been confirmed as impossible, not even with drones. No party without some meat, unfortunately.
  • Survival rates: Need to be adjusted based on circumstances. Much lower rates with high levels of small weapons fire or doomsday levels of explosions/grid getting carpet bombed.
  • Racial adjustment: +0% Gallente: Lots of automization
  • Racial adjustment: +5% Amarr: Less efficient due to use of slaves
  • Racial adjustment: +10% Caldari: Strong military culture - lots of recruits and having served is often a necessity for future success
  • Racial adjustment: +20% Minmatar: Less automization 'They like doing it the hard way'/Warrior culture

From memory of the 2013 fanfest panel talk.

edit: Che has linked the surviving article, when in doubt it's more accurate than my memory. \o/.

Lore:
RIP lore wiki.
Chronicles are your best guess.

I can leave something here that's probably too hot and illegal in some states. Made by Ken back in our WHG days. He's a bit of a wizard.
« Last Edit: 24 Jul 2016, 07:39 by The Rook »

Ché Biko

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: 25 Jul 2016, 08:47 »

Concerning crew, fully fitted interceptors can be flown without crew. There may be other small frigates where this is possible, but I've only read the lore article on interceptors.
-OOChé

The Rook

• Watcher in the Void
  • Egger
    • FalconNET
« Reply #4 on: 25 Jul 2016, 12:02 »

Which one? Because I remember rather clear statements that 'minimum' means unfitted/not combat ready.

Ché Biko

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: 26 Jul 2016, 08:07 »

That is true in general, but in the missing article http://wiki.eve-inspiracy.com/index.php?title=Interceptors_(lore) it was written that they where designed to need no crew, being advanced ships.
http://wiki.eve-inspiracy.com/index.php?title=Frigates_(lore)#Crew still remains, which mentions "many smaller frigates are designed to be flown by a solo capsuleer, with no crew support whatsoever. At most, a single assistant will aide in the event of emergencies."
-OOChé

The Rook

• Watcher in the Void
  • Egger
    • FalconNET
« Reply #6 on: 26 Jul 2016, 09:16 »

Well, you can make the case that T2 ships are to be found at the mininum scale as they're kinda being engineered with capsuleers in mind, whereas T1 ships are more retrofitted.

Velarra

• Wetgraver
  • Angel
    • DED Profile
« Reply #7 on: 01 Aug 2016, 13:26 »

Thanks to the wayback machine, the CCP eve wiki, and its lore/fiction can be found here:

http://web.archive.org/web/20160227180049/https://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/Portal:EVE_Fiction