Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Kaalakiota, or KK, is the largest of the Caldari megacorporations, and was run by Tibus Heth.

Author Topic: R18 material in the Fiction Forum  (Read 2975 times)

Synthia

• Omelette
  • I ruin RP by existing
R18 material in the Fiction Forum
« on: 11 Mar 2016, 08:40 »

The Fiction forum is visible to non-logged in users, and most of the time conforms to the PG standards that the official EVE forums usually have.
That is, there are very few mentions of explicit things. Which I think is fine.

However.

Much of the EVE setting contains elements that do not conform to PG standards, and there are things that people may wish to write about, that they might not wish to be on open public display.

In the case of the Sani Sabik lore for example, it involves both ritual orgies, and human sacrifice, which I think aren't subjects that are particularly suitable to an open public display, but are more suited to a members-only semi-public display.

Many EVE players also have younger relatives or children, and may not want them to come across such material by chance, so a restricted-access forum might help there as well.

So, would such a members-only forum be a good thing, or not ?
The Explanatory Leaflet is a Leaflet that Explains.

Utari Onzo

Re: R18 material in the Fiction Forum
« Reply #1 on: 11 Mar 2016, 09:47 »

Personally, I think these forums already tend to have a 12 rating in terms of language often used. There's ways of speaking about the topics you've discussed in a mature, adult way, and would be acceptable in an open forum imo on that basis. If people are worried about children accessing it, personally I subscribe to the notion said parents should be taking a much more hands on attitude to reviewing what said children are browsing, how and why.

My biggest issue is people taking these subjects in a not mature and instead very much 5 edgy manner where the point is to offend rather then constructively discuss these topics. But hey that's why we have mods right? So, I guess I'm split on even having these topics here in the first place.

On the topic of open forums vs a private members only club, honestly I feel the open nature of this forum is woven into its fabric for better or worse. Hell, moderated posts almost never get deleted and instead sit in katakombs for everyone to see, defeating the point of moderating it. But that's just part of this forum's culture.

In review I think tentatively I'd say no to private members section, as I fear it'd encourage cliquism that's already been accused of on these very forums (despite all content being open to public). As for the subjects at hand, I'll say I'd be ok with a mature, adult and serious discussion of them on open forums, but I can already see the trouble it can bring when the discussion turns very much insenstive, immature and edgy for the sake of edge. But I'm biased like that.

Louella Dougans

• \o/
  • Demigod
  • \o/
« Reply #2 on: 11 Mar 2016, 10:03 »

On the topic of open forums vs a private members only club, honestly I feel the open nature of this forum is woven into its fabric for better or worse. Hell, moderated posts almost never get deleted and instead sit in katakombs for everyone to see, defeating the point of moderating it. But that's just part of this forum's culture.

In review I think tentatively I'd say no to private members section, as I fear it'd encourage cliquism that's already been accused of on these very forums (despite all content being open to public).

The "Eve Online RP" section is only visible to members, so not all content is displayed openly.
\o/

Utari Onzo

« Reply #3 on: 11 Mar 2016, 10:59 »

I stand corrected then.

Synthia

• Omelette
  • I ruin RP by existing
« Reply #4 on: 11 Mar 2016, 15:12 »

Utari, I think you've seen the "video" of Synthia's "research altar" ?

In your opinion, would that kind of content be a thing that should be publicly visible ? Or even posted on Backstage at all, in the first place ?

I'm of the opinion, that I wouldn't put it in a publicly visible forum, for several reasons:
1. the graphic content is something that might upset people.
2. it's better if fewer people see it, on account of it shifting people's opinions of Synthia quite dramatically. I'd prefer those opinion shifts to occur through IC interactions, when possible.
The Explanatory Leaflet is a Leaflet that Explains.

Utari Onzo

« Reply #5 on: 11 Mar 2016, 16:03 »

Do I think copies of that RP should be up here? No. Do I think it's ok to talk about that kind of RP in the context of a general discussion, yes so long as it's a mature discussion.

I guess I've been getting the wrong end of the stick, if you're implying you want to specifically upload copies of that here. But hey, this is all my opinion and it's up to the Admins. Just contributing my two pence to the discussion.

Edit: yeah I really did miss it in the title. I blame it on my IQ dropping a few notches doing co-ordinating in a bunch of stuff. It's a no for me atleast in open public. Discussions on it ok sure but specifics I'd rather not. Again, just my opinion.
« Last Edit: 11 Mar 2016, 16:05 by Utari Onzo »

Utari Onzo

« Reply #6 on: 02 Apr 2016, 05:05 »

Ok, so, seems I've been out voted here *shrug* I'm cool with that, but ultimately it'll be up to the Admins.