Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

that the ISHAEKA Reports warned about the Sansha Nation Incursions possiblily occuring.

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: OOC Discussion: [Collaboration] Origin Tour  (Read 4117 times)

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
  • Through the distorted lens I found a cure
    • All the cool hippies have tumblr
Re: OOC Discussion: [Collaboration] Origin Tour
« Reply #15 on: 04 Mar 2016, 00:04 »

From an OOC standpoint, I started off with the basic statement that 1 ISK in Origin has about the same buying power as 1 american dollar irl. I did this not for any lore reasons, and just because it simplified things when I was roleplaying in Origin in the past.

However, this cannot make sense entirely, because there's just no way that everything is that inflated, and the fact that it isn't a 1:1 ratio becomes more and more apparent as you get larger quantities of ISK. A new car in the real world might cost 35,000 dollars, but there's no way its going to cost 35,000 ISK, even in Origin the inflation doesn't get that bad. It would be more like 3,500 ISK, so somewhere between those two values, the ratio becomes skewed by an order of magnitude.

This sort of makes sense to me anyway, because of the import and shipping bottleneck that Juno represents.
Personal Blog//Character Blog
A ship in harbour is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #16 on: 04 Mar 2016, 08:35 »

From an OOC standpoint, I started off with the basic statement that 1 ISK in Origin has about the same buying power as 1 american dollar irl. I did this not for any lore reasons, and just because it simplified things when I was roleplaying in Origin in the past.

However, this cannot make sense entirely, because there's just no way that everything is that inflated, and the fact that it isn't a 1:1 ratio becomes more and more apparent as you get larger quantities of ISK. A new car in the real world might cost 35,000 dollars, but there's no way its going to cost 35,000 ISK, even in Origin the inflation doesn't get that bad. It would be more like 3,500 ISK, so somewhere between those two values, the ratio becomes skewed by an order of magnitude.

This sort of makes sense to me anyway, because of the import and shipping bottleneck that Juno represents.

Isn't the bottleneck just going to result in someone setting up a local agricultural or hydroponic facility for coffee, sugar, chocolate, etc., producing a high-quality product at a fraction of the cost of import, and charging a fraction of an ISK for a candy bar? Unless there's something about Origin's system that actually forbids splitting the ISK?

(And if there is, that would seem to create a race to produce the lowest cost-per-item 1 ISK purchasable that's desirable enough to sustain that cost....)

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
« Reply #17 on: 04 Mar 2016, 09:16 »

The only answer I can give as to why local wares haven't pushed out all the imported goods like quafe, is just brand recognition. Everyone knows about Quafe and Starsi and when they go to a store those are the things they look for (like coke or pepsi). The local stuff is cheaper, but it lacks that brand recognition. So yeah, for .05 ISK you could get a two liter of off brand quafe. Or you can pay 1 ISK and get a two liter of actual quafe.

Combine that with the high minimum wage and standard of living, and most people would rather have the more expensive brand name item. In time local wares will probably become more and more predominant, but even with most of the food being grown in-system, there's still a ton of import for things like name brand food, clothing, cosmetics, consumer electronics, ground vehicles, and the like.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #18 on: 04 Mar 2016, 10:47 »

Only the real Quafe is actually made of people, though.
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Ché Biko

• Space Buddho-Commu-Nihilist
  • Veteran
  • I'll face the stars or the abyss.
    • Biko's Backstage Character Thread
« Reply #19 on: 04 Mar 2016, 16:26 »

Just my .02 ISK...(for what it's worth ;) :P):

I never read anything that indicates that ISK is worth a huge amount, and I think it is not unlikely that in systems like Luminaire, for example, and ISK is worth about a dollar. I'm sure there are huge areas of space where an ISK is worth much more, but remember that a loooot of people on earth live on one dollar a day.
So, there this bit about an avarage human being in New Eden working a lifetime to earn X ISK? That just indicates a lot of poverty to me, and perhaps slaves were also taken into account in that average.
And capsuleers being insanely rich? Well, they still are, even if 1 ISK is worth about a dollar.
« Last Edit: 04 Mar 2016, 16:28 by Ché Biko »
-OOChé

Utari Onzo

« Reply #20 on: 19 Mar 2016, 06:57 »

Just popping in to see if we're still rolling with this? I know we can all have busy lives.

Saede Riordan

• Immoral Compass
  • Demigod
« Reply #21 on: 20 Mar 2016, 12:49 »

sorry, sorry, I finally posted. My bad for letting it go as long as it did.

Karmilla Strife

• Omelette
« Reply #22 on: 23 Mar 2016, 11:30 »

I just wanted to comment that I find this RP very interesting. Saede and the rest of the Origin crew have done some great work world-building.
Pages: 1 [2]