Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The system Old Man Star is named for the lone crew member who survived a sub-light trip there to set up a stargate?

Author Topic: "Untitled" By Literia - Entry in YC 117 New Eden Capsuleer's Writing Contest  (Read 589 times)

Lunarisse Aspenstar

• Egger

NOTE: Literia has graciously allowed me to publish her private submission which got an "Honorable mention" in the YC 117 New Eden Capsuleer's Writing Contest.  Here it is!

She sits around a campfire out on the desert with Amitel and Duncan, helping them set up the tent to be ready for the night’s sleep.

Ami looks to her, "Mama, story please."

She looks to Ami, "It’s a sad story."

Duncan shrugs his shoulders, "So?"

Ami bounces up and down, "So please mama?"

Lit looks to Ami, "Okay fine, but sit on my lap. If you get too upset I am stopping the story."
Ami scurries to sit on her mother’s lap as she puts her head on Lit's chest and snuggles in. Lit starts to speak..........

"There are some stories that are passed down from generation to generation, this just happens to be one of those tales. Of how an area in our desert got the name Sea of Tears and of the unknown Shaman's statue that stands there crying over seeing it. You see as the legend goes, in a time long ago. I am not sure how it starts but it goes something like this .....

There was a young shaman called Davina Khammael before we were set to the stars. She had an older mate and the village was strong with good warriors and the clan was flourishing in the desert climate. The children ran around playing their games that only children played. Festival marking the Autumn festival was coming up around the corner. Her raven hair, skin as smooth as silk, her markings of her deeds all over her body, for she was not only Shaman but a fierce warrior.

Davina turned to her mate Kael, "Husband, the children are by the water, and Vulkor tells me a storm is coming. Please pull them in." Kael nodded her, went out to gather the teenagers to help him herd the children inside. Just then the wind picked up and started to howl around them as the dark clouds started to circle. Davina got the village to batten down for the storm and made sure everyone was safe. Kael got most of the children with the teenagers back to the village when a mother called out, "Vrynn? Vrynn? Where are you?" Kael looked at the woman and nodded, running back out calling for this child. This young girl--maybe 4 years old--had hidden behind one of the great trees, only a few on the desert but right near the water."

Ami interrupts the story, "Mama, is that Great Great Gramma? Is it? Huh? Huh? Is it?"

Lit looks at the red-head six year-old half Brutor and half Ni-Kunni, “Possibly yes, Ami. Well, did you want me to finish the story or not?” Ami nods her head as Lit continues....

"Kael scoped up the child in his arms as the rain crashed down with the lightening and thunder. The wind higher than they had ever seen it before. Kael scurried back to the village down the road as they reached the girl's hut (but then) a piece of wood went right through his heart. Davina cried out for him as she ran to catch him and bring him in their hut. She laid his head on her lap as the storm raged all night, knowing in her heart come the storm break she knew what Vulkor would demand. They whispered their love for each other, that the clan hadn't known a pair so made for each other like these two: Soul mates, complete with each other but less than one half when one was gone.

Davina fell asleep stroking Kael's hair as she woke up to calm skies, and looked down at the love of her life laying still and not moving, her heart started to shatter as she shook him vigorously "NOOOOOOOO KAEL NOOOOOOO." He was unfortunately already gone, passed away while they slept. She lifted him up in her strong arms and carried him to an area of the desert filled with white sand. She grabbed any sort of material around her as tears flowed from her eyes as she built a pyre singing the the death prayer over and over because he could not take his own final walk into the desert.

Davina's heart broke as she sung the hymns for her now dead mate, tears flowing down from her face touching the sand. She lit the pyre setting him free as she dropped to her knees, burying her face into her hands. Her tears crystallized on the sand, as she watched the Pyre burn. She found a place to stand watching the pyre as her tears