Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The original starship classes in EVE were frigates, cruisers, industrials and the elusive Battleships?

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: PRIMEVAL: An ARK Playthrough  (Read 6445 times)

Vikarion

Re: PRIMEVAL: An ARK Playthrough
« Reply #15 on: 06 Mar 2016, 22:31 »

Day 26.

I've been doing a bit more exploring. I followed one of the rivers to the west coast of the island, although that unfortunately meant spending a night in a swamp, huddled under some trees as I waited for the light. That was annoying, especially when a Titanboa tried to sneak up on me. I pinned its head to the ground with my pike and then severed it with my axe.

At the shore I found more - a lot more - of those trilobite things:
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Turns out, the things have an oily excretion you can harvest, chitin, and sometimes pearls or silica in their...stomachs? I don't know, I'm not a biologist. But I do know that I could find a lot of uses for oil. So much so that I spent about an entire day collecting and butchering as many of the things as I could.

However, that's not the best thing. The best thing is that I managed to tame one of these guys:
[spoiler][/spoiler]

That's right, a giant bird. They're usually hostile, but I caught one with an arrow dipping in narcotic as she was coming down from a higher location on the mountain I'm near. Fortunately she was near the ground at the time, and wasn't badly injured. It took a bit of work - apparently I'm not a natural animal handler either - but I eventually got her to cooperate, although it took quite a bit of meat and coaxing. Within a day after that, I had a saddle hooked up and on her, though it wasn't until today that I took her for really long flights - she kept having a tendency to chase giant dragonflies or dimorphodons whenever the fancy struck her. I named her Ariel, by the way. Creative, I know (not!).

I did take her for a long flight today. Well, sort of yesterday, tonight, and this morning. We spent the night back on the west beach. But I got to see a lot more of the island, and it is very beautiful.

View from the mountaintop near my home:
[spoiler][/spoiler]

The cold northwest of the island:
[spoiler][/spoiler]

And this giant flying creature near one of the mountains:
[spoiler][/spoiler]

All in all, I think I'll soon have a very good map of the entire island. I also need to figure out a way to manage getting metal from the slopes and tops of the mountains to my forges. There are exposed, metal-rich rocks just sitting there, but the trek to them is a bit long.

Vikarion

« Reply #16 on: 11 Mar 2016, 19:54 »

Day 31.

Well. I've been on the island for almost a month, and I have to say that it's been pretty lonely. Until now, that is. But I'm getting ahead of myself.

I haven't been doing much building lately, mostly because there's been some sort of movement of the larger animals on the island through this area, although mostly across the river. I don't know if it's some sort of migratory movement, or if it's just chance, but I've taken the opportunity to tame three of them.

First was the Brontosaurus. I found a relatively young one, tranquilized him with some arrows, and tamed him, though it took a while:
[spoiler][/spoiler]
[spoiler][/spoiler]

I'd been hoping to use him to help me cart iron ore down from the hillsides, but he's just so freaking slow. He's reasonably useful as a pack animal, just not for fast trips. I can do better simply flying there and back with small loads on Ariel. Anyway, I also was attacked by a Carnotaurus, a mid-sized predator, and knocked him out too. Taming him took a bit of work...
[spoiler][/spoiler]
...and I'm not even sure I should have bothered. He's lazy, although very fast when you ride him. Until he gets tired and just stands there. And he's too small to carry much. He's also as dumb as a rock. Come to think of it, so is my stegosaurus and the Bronto. Their idea of intellect is to sit somewhere chewing on something, then poop on your shoe when you get close.

However, all of that doesn't matter. Because I've tamed a T-Rex. She was down by the riverbank, and wounded. There were some raptors around, and another T-Rex, so I don't exactly know what hurt her, but I spent a few days nursing her back to health and bandaging her wounds:
[spoiler][/spoiler]
I was keeping my spear close just in case.

Later, I started hand feeding her meat (and my berry mix):
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Eventually, I got her back on her feet:
[spoiler][/spoiler]

I wouldn't say she's docile, but she's reasonably affectionate. I guess those paleontologists who claim Tyrannosaurs were social were right. She's actually bigger than the skeletons I saw back in the world (back on earth?), but probably just a sub-strain of the species. I've named her Alexia.

I've been making saddles for all of the dinosaurs I've tamed, and I have to admit that I was a bit worried about her taking to it badly. But she seemed to enjoy it, and didn't take long at all to get the knack of being ridden. I spent the next day and a half riding her up north and back through the hills, mapping out some of the territory I've seen. It was a lot of fun, I even did some camping with her when it got dark. There's nothing like curling up with a blanket beside a couple campfires with you and your T-Rex huddling between them for warmth.

She's definitely a vicious predator, though. She goes after almost everything, and she likes to roam when I'm not with her, to the point that she can be hard to locate. Right now she's busily prowling the shore of the river a bit east of here.

I also took a flight over the cold northwest of the island. I saw an even bigger predator there, going after woolly mammoths. Taming that one would be exceptionally difficult, and I'm not sure I should try.

What I do know is that I need to build a better home, preferably one made of metal, as I keep having various creatures attack or otherwise damage this one. Stone, clay, and wood are pretty resilient, but not enough to keep, say, an overly friendly brontosaur from accidentally crunching a wall.

Anyway, more later.

-Victoria

Utari Onzo

« Reply #17 on: 24 Mar 2016, 16:32 »

Keep it up Vik, I love your style of "let's plays" :)

Vikarion

« Reply #18 on: 11 Apr 2016, 03:20 »

Keep it up Vik, I love your style of "let's plays" :)

Thanks!

Mind you, taking a little bit of a break to go play EvE and hopefully bash in some Goonie stations. And then it will be time to be busy in RL again (not that it really stopped) because of business. But I still have the save, and I'll try to get back to it.
Pages: 1 [2]