Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Evanda Char started life as humble mechanic?

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: [Collaboration] The Minmatar Republic - changing attitudes  (Read 7504 times)

Havohej

• Friendly Neighborhood Forum Admin
  • Veteran
  • Ex-convict
    • EWF Digital Consulting

I used to get that sense from Electus Matari, as much as they were an IC frienemy (mostly enemy) for me back then.  I understand Re-Awakened Technologies is working on a comeback, really hoping that gets off the ground successfully.

Twitter
This is a forum on steroids tbh. The rate at which content worth reading is being generated could get you pregnant.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.

Wait.. I think there is a misunderstanding, Veik and I were merely speaking about what we often see in Minmatar RP, not PF...The same way I see a lot of annoying tropes done ICly by the Amarr, or other factions...

Of course PF can be guilty of that too, but the victimhood syndrome of the Minmatar isn't one of them yeah...

I think that might just be the error of those particular RPers. Maybe it's easier to play the perpetual victim then to try to play the gutsy up and coming New Nation as it deals with the scars of the past? Personally, I'd love to see more from the Matari bloc on the latter, as I'd like to think the Republic is actually a vibrant energetic place in the areas where money flows. It's slap dash maybe, everything with a sense of new, but I'm sure by god there's progress happening and it'd be fast.

Internally that's been a thing for better part of a decade. It's not particularly easy to portray externally though, for several reasons. External portrayal will without fail mean interaction with hostile factions, some members of which are very much disposed towards the eradication of both the old and new identities of the Tribes, thus the focus moves from the internal advances and development to the point of contention. Public display of these internal things tend to suffocate quite quickly under that debate. Secondly, these days there's extremely little interest in such things. I have attempted several projects in this regard, both chat channels etc and cultural events/display but there's just no interest in it other than from a very few individuals.

And let's not forget that the point of contention is still a very valid and big thing in today's societies across New Eden. The majority of those with Minmatar blood are held in the Empire and it's just unavoidable that it's something a lot of people would be focused on, either solely or alongside their internal affairs.

This does not equate to victimhood, though. It is about everything from revenge to pride and more. It's about showing that the Tribes are not victims and can (and did) fight back. Hard enough to bloody the Empire's nose more than once, even.

Utari Onzo

Completely on the ball on that end there Miz, in regards to fighing back. I guess from an ooc it's hard for me to go looking ic about the Republic when Utari is so firmly Empire vOv

Still, conflict drives RP.

Skyweir Kinnison

• Clonejack

I think that might just be the error of those particular RPers. Maybe it's easier to play the perpetual victim then to try to play the gutsy up and coming New Nation as it deals with the scars of the past? Personally, I'd love to see more from the Matari bloc on the latter, as I'd like to think the Republic is actually a vibrant energetic place in the areas where money flows. It's slap dash maybe, everything with a sense of new, but I'm sure by god there's progress happening and it'd be fast.

This is rather what I was hoping to reflect in my development of Skyweir. His prejudices are very much of the past - caricatures, in part, but founded in much of what seems to be presented in the RP I've seen. But it's also clear from several players' responses that there is much more to the new and developing Republic that could be interesting to watch develop further. I thought using Skyweir to present a few of those new directions would be good for his development and maybe the wider impressions of the Republic.

ValentinaDLM

• Wetgraver
  • Totally a Toaster

Utari had it right, Conflict drives RP for sure. This is both a good and a bad thing. My Corporation, doesn't have too much interest in the Amarr, but due to the way Faction Warfare works, we spend most of our time shooting the Amarr. I think that is fine, but, whenever I at least get into an RP venue, there is an effort to try and make this more about the Republic itself, and not our conflict with the Amarr.

I think Kinnison's backpedal, and then interest in looking at the Republic in a different light on IGS was wonderful, by the way, even if it can be difficult to find alot of the information there. I referenced in Eve Source that it mentioned that the Republic had a pretty low unemployment rate versus the poverty stricken image that is frequently portrayed.

To that end, KHUSH actually does alot of industrial things which we haven't talked much about IC (maybe we should?), and of course have worked with Caldari groups, and other Minmatar groups, in the spirit of mutual defense, cooperation, and isk. The idea is to improve the Republic, but we generally approach the Republic as not such a bad place in general. Be it the Economy, or safety from the Amarr, or Sansha, etc it makes sense, but not as white knights, but as people protecting their own (or in Val's case more her adoptive Clan), as I feel that more than anything the Matari seem to look after those close to them.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]