Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Ushra'Khan is the oldest active alliance in New Eden.

Author Topic: [Chronicle] Her Painted Selves - "A good capsuleer"  (Read 1309 times)

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV

There is some use in paying attention to Gallente fiction...

Here, we are treated to a capsuleer that is not a sociopath, who is not a megalomaniac and is, instead, a human being with a very wide view of the world. Most importantly, he appears to be an independent loyalist capsuleer so, basically, us, as opposed to a capsuleer who is tied directly to a government body (in which case, PF shows they behave VERY differently from the independents). Let's break it down.

She looked to her side and pretended to wave, sneaking a glance at the capsuleer who'd hid in their entourage. He stood off-camera, looking like one of many assistants. His cranial socket was covered with a skin patch which in turn was concealed under a tight hood. He'd showed them the setup when he first came into the deal, explaining that while some people would undoubtedly guess his identity, it shouldn't be publicly acknowledged by anyone on the team. The capsuleer had offered an unknown addition to the funds the Federation had earmarked for Gerets' operation, enough to secure him a watcher's position in the press circus that surrounded the couple. He wasn't shy about his support, though its scope was unrevealed, but this effort wasn't supposed to be about him.

It seems that, to avoid unwanted attention outside the designated areas of stations, capsuleers will wear skin patches or conceal their sockets to hide their identity. Moreover, he has direct contact with Federal authorities and the press, and has a direct hand in the affairs of a pair of individuals. This indicates that capsuleers have the power to leverage themselves in whatever factions they are loyal to. You can bet that if you have high standings with a faction, you can RP yourself as a "senior figure" in that faction. I do just that myself.

She nearly bumped into the capsuleer. He'd stopped and was gesturing for her to take a seat in one of the leather couches. Leather, like wood, was a commodity on the stations and one she felt decidedly uncomfortable with, but the seat he was directing her to had a worn appearance and its leather surface had hairline cracks. "My favorite reading spot," he said.

She realized he was trying to help her feel relaxed and the small gesture set her at ease. She sat. "Is this someone's apartment?" she asked him. "Is it yours?"

He sat beside her, at a respectable distance. "Yes, it is. This is the entryway."

"How much of this floor is yours?"

"All of it," he said. "But I didn't bring you here to impress you."

So, this capsuleer likes to spend a lot of time outside his pod. He will sit and read in what seems to be a massive apartment. Moreover, owning large portions of stations isn't completely out-of-this-world either. Especially if your homebase is a station that is in the middle of lowsec that no one ever visits. Not all capsuleers, it seems, never leave their pods, so, having our own apartments in the form of RP channels isn't completely unfounded.

She narrowed her eyes and remained silent. Although he'd been in the project almost from the start and had remained affable throughout, he was a capsuleer. She and everyone she knew had an ingrained awe of his kind that was equal parts fear, admiration, distrust and wonder. The gulf that existed between him and everyone else was not easily bridged.

Regardless of the capsuleer's humanity, however, his status as one still remains unchanged. For Seriphyn, who is RPed as a war hero, this sort of admiration and wonder is exaggerated and increased.

He smiled again.

Quite a nice chap

"Maybe for some," he said. "But I've got my own ideas, and the ability to follow through on them. Half the money is yours, by the way."

Again, capsuleers are very, very powerful people. Their power is not kept within their own domain, it seems, and like I said, if you have the standings, I don't see why a capsuleer can't order around a set of Navy marines as his own personal security staff, or have regular interactions with politicians and executives.

"Let me tell you something," he said. "The people who organized this, as far as they're concerned, Gerets is no hero. He's a terribly unlucky everyman, chosen to be a poster boy of what the enemy did to our people and handed a little bone to chew on as a thanks. Before I came into this deal, the plan was to stagger the release of regrowth money so much and thrust it behind such masses of red tape that you'd effectively have been serfs of the government in perpetuity. I brought in ten times what they'd set aside for you, and even that amount is less than I can make in a day. You owe them nothing, nor me, nor anyone else.

Firstly, this independent capsuleer shows direct loyalty and solidarity to his faction. He is not mercenary or detached in a "faction of themselves". Secondly, as I've said, he has the direct power to influence events in his faction, as he has stated here.

He took her hand. "How long's it been since Gerets touched you?"

omgraep

"I had someone who clung to me. She did it for glory, me being a capsuleer, and even after I'd had my head scrambled by too many clonings in too little time, even when I made her life this absolute passive-aggressive hell, she still hung on. And eventually what was left of the love evaporated, because even as I wasn't the same person anymore, neither was she. The balance changed and she changed with it."

Capsuleers indeed can fall in love with non-capsuleers...as well as have relationships overall. They're hardly emotionless cadavers of death.

He grinned slyly. "And heavens, you need makeup. Your cheeks are streaked with tears. You can't be seen like this; think what your husband would say!"

Finally, he jokes and laughs, and maybe flirts a little...kinda what Seriphyn would do.

At any rate, I hope this easily digestable breakdown has given you some ideas on how to improve your character as how you see fit. I very much see Seriphyn interacting with non-capsuleers in this fashion; after all, no matter his reputation amongst the independent capsuleers, the ball game is entirely different in the general public (this concept might be offensive to you, I'm sure  ;) ). So, let's see less teenage school girl capsuleers, and show that the "good capsuleer" can be pulled off, hm?  :D

Seriphyn

• Demigod
  • New and improved, and only in FFXIV
Re: [Chronicle] Her Painted Selves - "A good capsuleer"
« Reply #1 on: 06 Sep 2010, 16:37 »

Bumping this up in light of the recent "Jita 4-4" chronicle.

Curious as to why no one shared their thoughts on this, given the relevance of this chron.

Graanvlokkie

Re: [Chronicle] Her Painted Selves - "A good capsuleer"
« Reply #2 on: 23 Sep 2010, 07:18 »

I believe you are wearing your T2 Federation-Issue Rose Coloured Spectacles. I will need to look into getting myself some of those!

Jokes aside, I didnt get any of what you are claiming from the story. Ill elaberate when Im not posting from my phone, if you want, but briefly I see some more dark undertones.

Yes, the capsuleer is helping the woman, but for what reason? The story seems to show the fragility of a capsuleers mind. What can destroy the womans husband to be, mentally, is something that happens over and over to a capsuleer.

Is the author drawing a parallel between the husbands disfigured face and a capsuleers mind? 

does the capsuleer recognise himself in this disfigured person, as someone who is almost not human?

Can the capsuleer love? His fractured mind seems to have driven away his one true love despite any efforts.

Yes, he is wealthy, but I think the divide he talks about is between himself and everyone else, not only between himself and those not of his faction.

Why do you say he has any standings at all in the faction?

Then we get to the issue of the federation manipulating this poor family into survitude. To serve as a hero figure to be discarded without thought when not needed.

Whats the significance of the paintings?

I think this chronicle has a lot to discuss, but no of it screams out as a "data dump" though.