Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Blood Raider ships have the same design and golden sheen as Amarrian vessels, but are mottled in rust-like vermilion? (The Burning Life p. 80)

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Interest Check: Small 4v4 Tournaments  (Read 3343 times)

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
  • Shes mad but shes magic, theres no lie in her fire
Re: Interest Check: Small 4v4 Tournaments
« Reply #15 on: 18 Nov 2015, 17:18 »

I'd certainly be very interested

"Eve roleplayers scare me." - The Mittani

Calliste Dauvienne

• Clonejack
« Reply #16 on: 18 Nov 2015, 17:29 »

Sounds like an interesting idea.

Rp-wise it might be fun to have teams pursue sponsorship deals from other characters and corporations, because endorsement deals are awesome.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #17 on: 18 Nov 2015, 17:39 »

Anyway, on the subject of things to get right for the tournament, any ideas on how it'd be streamed if at all? I don't have too many thoughts on the subject as streaming isn't something I do, but given how generally unfriendly Eve is as a spectator sport there's certainly challenges to overcome. Cloaked fast movers whizzing around the arena being cameramen could work? Or just stationary and using Look At?

Now I realize I may be rambling on this as if it's a huge production thing, but how about contestants and cameramen all saving the footage and someone with the time and skill editing the matches into proper videos and uploading them to youtube later could be a very great tool for RP publicity, good match commentaries voiced over, a little bit of discussion etc...

It could be great propaganda, is what I'm saying.

... hell, if someone has a character suitable for it, be a reporter interviewing contestants IC and publishing it somewhere.

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #18 on: 19 Nov 2015, 00:09 »

At the moment I have a pretty good connection for streaming (and make use of it regularly for that purpose), and access to people who used to do the SCL, so I have folks I can poke for help setting things like that up. So odds are, primary arena camera would be me. I've had a bit of practice playing around with that in matches since I was responsible for recording Rote's practices both from my perspective (when flying) and from the arena center (when not flying).

Figuring out how to display the hull information is going to be the interesting part - without CCP's tools there's really no way to show the defense/attack/control bars. I can lock all the ships but would only be able to show the hp stuff with that. It's possible (and I'd want to check with CCP first) that I could use ISboxer or some equivalent to parcel out chunks of the overview to show things like speed and such. (The way the SCL worked involved a lot of overhead, and at least one or two CCP devs coming into the office on the weekends on their spare time to run things on their end. That's not something we'd have.)

The possibility of editing footage together after the fact is possible, and if someone with video editing skills wanted to try their hand at it they'd be more than welcome to if we could get the individual pilots to make recordings.

As far as commentary goes, a quick chat about it ingame would probably have them at the arena in cloaked ships or shuttles to view the proceedings directly, and on TS with the primary streaming source (again, likely me). Upcoming camera changes would mean that the commentators would not need to be in the arena itself; just on grid with it. Referee would, however, need to be in the arena in order to call boundary violations.
« Last Edit: 19 Nov 2015, 00:11 by Morwen Lagann »
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Lyn Farel

« Reply #19 on: 19 Nov 2015, 04:16 »

I see, it makes a bit more sense... I suppose with a bit of handwaving, people can indeed make as if they were 'teleported' into a safe bubble somewhere to fight...

For stats bars in CCP tournaments, it's good to remember that it's a recent addition (relatively speaking...), and the first tournaments up to the 8th or something, were done with the same tools we have at our disposal, more or less, in terms of capture and camera, except maybe for the list of pilots that was already a special overlay.

Personally what I would like to see more when CCP streams their own stuff, would be a batter overview situational screen at all times: it doesn't have to be too complicated, just sit far enough, enable tactical overlay, use the right tag colours and enable all brackets for pilot names... Should be already enough. Then, that coupled with a more cinematic camera from another neutral player, with advanced camera options activated and the camera FoV reduced to normal values, thus showing the correct scales. It would of course have to be most of the time centered on specific ships, and yes, it's hard to use considering the speed at which you can rotate the camera like that... But you can still twitch the camera to a target though, which can be handy.
« Last Edit: 19 Nov 2015, 04:19 by Lyn Farel »

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #20 on: 19 Nov 2015, 04:21 »

Sounds pretty good to me. Besides, it's a player run tourney, so those AT bars are kind of overkill anyway as long as the commentators know their stuff and can provide a sufficient amount of information to the stream, like "Ouch, that "insert web/tp/whatever ship loss here" is going to hurt "team x". That cut their dps in half, and "team y" can tank forever with those "insert whatever logi/boosts/whatever" still alive" kind of thing.

Looking good so far.

Pages: 1 [2]