Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Myrhial Arkenath was born and raised on Saisio III? Read more here

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Worldbuilding: Fan Clubs!  (Read 15036 times)

Mitara Newelle

• Omelette
Re: Worldbuilding: Fan Clubs!
« Reply #45 on: 03 Dec 2015, 11:25 »

Mit lives, or has been living anyway, in something of a bubble and has been totally oblivious to any kind of fan club or celebrity status.  Her first exposure to a 'fan club' was meeting Charm Meson who told Mit she was president of this fan club and had some kind of action figures.  Mit was mildly amused thinking it is just Charm and a couple of her friends and the action figures being something they made themselves, even though Aldy said 'yes, I authorized those', he is always the joker you know.

Now that the Succession Trials are over, her imagined reality is starting to crumble as the magnitude of what her participation in it means begins to sink in.  It was made all too real recently as Alizabeth Vea was going over the progress of the Team Sarum Museum with Mit and Kerri Kane came up and fangirled all over Alizabeth.  Aldy reiterated how well known they all are in the Empire and this time Mit could tell he wasn't joking at all, and it terrified her.  She cannot comprehend any of it as she equates what she does as being simply God's calling for her, the same as your everyday navy officer, baker, or factory worker in the Empire, nothing too exceptional to speak of and not worthy of notice outside a handful of people.  Time will tell to she how she processes it and copes.

As to the details of Mit's fanclub go, I would have no idea and will leave that up to the likes of Charm and Aldy!

----------

The most interesting and fun fan club in the Empire I would think has to be that of The Golden Mountain, Lord Vaari.  I mean, we capsuleers have a fanclub for him right here, I can only imagine what the baseliners do! :)
Section 3) Shitposting. "The cluster would be a much better place if all Amarrians were set on fire"

Nauplius

• Clonejack
« Reply #46 on: 03 Dec 2015, 20:13 »

Although Nauplius has supporters, he has supporters in the same way that the Unibomber or Anders Breivik have supporters -- you can find comments sections on the edgier corners of the Internet where those people are admired, but actually organizing non-anonymous or meatspace groups in admiration of them probably gets you on various government watch lists and would make it hard to hold a high-status job.

Anyway, Nauplius's actions are probably censored in Amarr space for religious regions and censored in Minmatar space because they'd cause protest.

Mizhara

• Prophet of New Eden
  • Demigod
  • The Truth will make ye Fret.
« Reply #47 on: 03 Dec 2015, 20:16 »

I think it's more likely Naup's actions are widely featured in the Republic as an example of extremism among the enemies of the Republic. No point wasting good propaganda material, however inaccurate it may be.

Elmund Egivand

• Pod Captain
  • Will jib for ISK
« Reply #48 on: 04 Dec 2015, 01:19 »

After thinking about it for a bit, I decided that Elmund does not have a fanclub. What he does have, however, is an audience amongst baseliners.

His baseliner audiences are members of the academia, defense contractor engineers, Federation Tourism Board marketing division personnel, coffee aficionados, fans of pulp fiction and really, really bored Federation youths who love trolling Minmatar on the Galnet.

Members of academia who tune into whatever Elmund is saying typically are students of technical schools and universities, particularly those who major in Starship Engineering, since every so often he says something really relevant to their studies and they will start taking notes. There are also anthropologists who will record his posts about Minmatar, or rather, Sebiestor culture, taking note of the deviations from the Sebiestor norms within the Egivand Clan for use as case study of what happens when a branch of a Tribe deviates from the main body sufficiently enough.

Defense contractor engineers are interested in what he has to say due to his own background as a Marine Combat Engineer (Elmund performed two roles on the Typhoon he was stationed during his cadet days. His other role is Marine Engineer, as in, during the stoker work, fixing broken machinery, reactor control systems, electronics, etc). He occasionally mentions about how he goes around screwing with ship subsystems and weaponising starship architecture and electronics and they take notes and then study what he has to say, verify the truthfulness of his statements and figure out how to defend or exploit the 'facts' he revealed about boarding action and surface operations (particularly on demolitions and fortifications).

Elmund has a habit of talking about the places he visits, and he talks the most about the Federation. This caught the attention of the marketing arm of the Federation Tourism Board, and they keep track of his activities and read his posts to figure out what his beef with the Federation is, and then decide on how they are to make the subject he talks about into a better tourist trap, set up new tourist traps or scrap the idea completely.

Coffee aficionados because, well, Elmund takes his coffee seriously and has the tendency of going into rants about the quality of coffee of certain shops, much to the delight and amusement of these people. They also note about the places he stated serve good coffee, because, as it turns out, when he praise the coffee, the coffee turns out to be cut above the rest in terms of flavour.

His privateering activities and planetside skullduggery caught the imaginations of the pulp fiction fans, who felt that his adventures, when he does have any, read like something out of their favourite magazine short stories. The fact that one of his adventures does get featured in a pulp fiction magazine helps matters. There is also that novelty of 'one of us' (Elmund does read pulp fiction) too.

He also attract the attention of trolls because the guy tends to go into ranting fits about misrepresentation of the Minmatar in popular fiction.

« Last Edit: 04 Dec 2015, 01:25 by Elmund Egivand »
Deep sea fish loves you forever

Vieve

• Unreliable Narrator
  • Omelette
  • The Dark Powers Are Always Happy To Help
« Reply #49 on: 11 Dec 2015, 21:10 »

Vieve's genuine fan club is quietly engaged in erasing her and her blood kin from history.  It's just better for all concerned, including history.  :)

Morwen Lagann

• Pretty Chewtoy
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
    • Lagging Behind
« Reply #50 on: 12 Dec 2015, 02:25 »

Vieve's genuine fan club is quietly engaged in erasing her and her blood kin from history.  It's just better for all concerned, including history.  :)

We still need to have tea, next time you find yourself in a deranged enough state to resub Celeste. (This may or may not result in another name being added to the "shipping" list for Morwen, with potentially hilarious, if cringe-inducing, results.)
Lagging Behind

Morwen's Law:
1) The number of capsuleer women who are bisexual is greater than the number who are lesbian.
2) Most of the former group appear lesbian due to a lack of suitable male partners to go around.
3) The lack of suitable male partners can be summed up in most cases thusly: interested, worth the air they breathe, available; pick two.

Vieve

• Unreliable Narrator
  • Omelette
  • The Dark Powers Are Always Happy To Help
« Reply #51 on: 13 Dec 2015, 07:44 »

We still need to have tea, next time you find yourself in a deranged enough state to resub Celeste. (This may or may not result in another name being added to the "shipping" list for Morwen, with potentially hilarious, if cringe-inducing, results.)

The results would depend upon which Celeste showed up.  If it was Celeste. Or even mostly Celeste.  Seriously, the entire family is a case study on why infomorph engineering should not be practiced without a license.

Sakura Nihil

• Egger
  • Glory
« Reply #52 on: 17 Dec 2015, 16:19 »

That's a name I haven't seen in some time!

On-topic:  I would suspect Sak would have a bit of a fanclub.  After all, who doesn't like a bit of a rebellious beauty that's willing and capable of getting her hands dirty?  It would probably be a bit underground though, given that she's actively attacked pretty much all the empires, raided a large swath of lowsec, openly admitted to having been (and still being, in some ways) a pirate, and so on.

The rest of the Nihils will, unfortunately, probably remain in Sak's shadow for the indefinite future.  Barring some serious tragedy resulting in Sak's death (super-unlikely, btw), they'll always be compared to her and her achievements.  Hopefully, they'll be able to distinguish themselves in time, and set themselves apart.

Havohej

• Friendly Neighborhood Forum Admin
  • Veteran
  • Ex-convict
    • EWF Digital Consulting
« Reply #53 on: 18 Dec 2015, 12:20 »

I like to think of Enkil 'Havohej' Akheteru having, not so much a fan club, but rather thousands of edgy teens who wear his face on a t-shirt in much the same way kids where Che Guevara t-shirts, or Stalin t-shirts, or Fidel, or the list goes on.

Twitter
This is a forum on steroids tbh. The rate at which content worth reading is being generated could get you pregnant.

ValentinaDLM

• Wetgraver
  • Totally a Toaster
« Reply #54 on: 23 Dec 2015, 01:26 »

I dunno if Val would have a fan club, but she certainly used to run one. I imagine she has some conspiricy theorists in the Republic who think she is some Sansha slaver still and her TLF loyalties are a ruse, and I am sure there is a rumor of her still seeing a certain Amarrian Templar.

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #55 on: 07 Oct 2016, 17:53 »

So! Resurrecting this topic for updates.

Aria's fan club probably has had mixed reactions, at best, to her withdrawal from the Federation and (particularly) her oath of service to Lunarisse Aspenstar Daphiti. I'm trying to think exactly how that would go over.

Suggestions welcome.

Veiki

• Egger
« Reply #56 on: 08 Oct 2016, 00:00 »

Aria's fan club probably has had mixed reactions, at best, to her withdrawal from the Federation and (particularly) her oath of service to Lunarisse Aspenstar Daphiti. I'm trying to think exactly how that would go over.

Suggestions welcome.

Caldari fans would probably view it with the distaste and scorn reserved for those who abandon their native culture to appropriate a foreign culture.

Gallente and Minmatar fans look on her as a convert and apologist for the Empire.

Gains Amarrian fans, especially those of the, "Look, peaceful Reclaiming, it's working!" Persuasion.

This might not be the actual case, but any look at social media IRL and there is an abandoning of facts for controversy and outrage -- because that's what gets retweets and views.

Mitara Newelle

• Omelette
« Reply #57 on: 08 Oct 2016, 00:15 »

Suggestions welcome.

Caldari fans would probably view it with the distaste and scorn reserved for those who abandon their native culture to appropriate a foreign culture.

Gallente and Minmatar fans look on her as a convert and apologist for the Empire.

Gains Amarrian fans, especially those of the, "Look, peaceful Reclaiming, it's working!" Persuasion.

This might not be the actual case, but any look at social media IRL and there is an abandoning of facts for controversy and outrage -- because that's what gets retweets and views.
I'm not sure about gaining Amarrian fans. Aria is very forthcoming that she is not of the Faith in public.  While some may be hopeful for her, I think many would look on her with suspicion serving such a prominent Amarr like Luna while being a heathen.
Section 3) Shitposting. "The cluster would be a much better place if all Amarrians were set on fire"

Veiki

• Egger
« Reply #58 on: 08 Oct 2016, 02:19 »

Suggestions welcome.

I'm not sure about gaining Amarrian fans. Aria is very forthcoming that she is not of the Faith in public.  While some may be hopeful for her, I think many would look on her with suspicion serving such a prominent Amarr like Luna while being a heathen.

Yes, that could also be the case.

My point was that if these capsuleer fan clubs occupy the same space as modern social media then there is a strong tendency to focus on the negative/create outrage and drama within that space because that is what drives reader/viewership of those commenting on those capsuleers.

Ché Biko

• Space Buddho-Commu-Nihilist
  • Veteran
  • I'll face the stars or the abyss.
    • Biko's Backstage Character Thread
« Reply #59 on: 14 Feb 2018, 14:56 »

Ché would likely have gained his first fans by competing with his team in the Sub-warp Racing League, and becoming the SRV champion.
After this, he may have gotten a fanbase (particularly Gallente Doves) due to his interest in peace and his humanitarian work. He is likely quite popular among the Caldari Prime citizens that supported former Arcurio mayor and YC 117 Gallente President candidate Shaileen Ramnev.
His Search And Rescue patrols would likely have gotten him some Matari fans.
In Origin he has some fans among the Decentralizers, as he is/was one of the most public faces of that group. Since becoming a Gateway (special ambassador) for ALXVP, his reputation among Origin's Minmatar population may have taken a hit due to talks with SFRIM.
He likely has some fans among Sansha sympathizers as well.
There is a Church of Ché in Caille. Attendants spend time thinking about "what would Ché do?", which for most seems to be an odd mixture of hedonism and charity.
Due to his love life, it would be strange to not find fanfics about him and some other capsuleers being involved in romances, particularly Cynthia Gallente, Aria Jenneth and Lasairiona Raske. It's also possible to find tabloids with interviews with some baseliners claiming to have shared a night and bed with him.

Lasairiona Raske:
Likely has a mixed reputation among the Matari. Some might see her as an emancipated woman doing occasional humanitarian work, others as an Angel puppet and criticize her for having L'Amore in Ballo in the Ammatar Mandate. Those less politically inclined (and non-matari) may just admire her performances as a singer and socialite.
-OOChé
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5