Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That each of the five empires technically has an equal say in all CONCORD matters? Read more in the Chronicle.

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Why do YOU roleplay?  (Read 5799 times)

Kairelle

• The artist formerly known as Simcat.
  • Clonejack
  • Less bitter fucking vet...
Re: Why do YOU roleplay?
« Reply #15 on: 22 Sep 2015, 20:21 »

Sorta glad im not the only one who uses it as a form of escape :x

Bro...most video games are escapism in some way...whether you RP or not. We're just really hardcore with our escapism.
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Elmund Egivand

• Pod Captain
  • Will jib for ISK
« Reply #16 on: 23 Sep 2015, 01:17 »

Why do I roleplay?

Because I enjoy fantasizing and dreaming. That's about it. I love to explore worlds real and imagined, see and experience culture real and imagined. Roleplaying is a good excuse to dream...with a focus.

I roleplayed in WoW as an undead rogue. His backstory was that of a disowned son of a noble-turned-hitman who died in the plague one evening. He rose from the grave in a world wholly different to what he knew. He was born in Stratholme, died before Arthas burned the whole place down. He would like to go back and find his family home and recover his heirlooms. His family won't be needing them anyway.

Other than that however, he was played as just some fellow who was just there, seeing things, hearing things, and killing people as a day-job. He had a pet cat and he mourned the fact that he can't ever feel that fluffiness. That's the extent of his angst. Otherwise, he was this undead, who got up one day in a world completely different from what he knew and was trying to do his best to make the best of his situation. He is an excuse to explore the concept of disconnection and being the 'other' and to experience what it feels like to live in a necropolis, where humanity is discarded and where the concept of being dead or alive is ultimately meaningless.

Also it's fun to roleplay the futility of hygiene. How do you keep clean...when pieces of you just keeps sloughing off?

As for why I'm roleplaying a Sebiestor in Eve Online? Well, I found the anachronism intriguing. We have here an arguably primitive and rich culture full of taboos and traditions that, somehow, is able to skip multiple steps in the maturing of civilizations to enter the Space Age. We have this supposedly antiquated technology that can wreck something that shoots lasers. We have this society where shamanistic practices and STEM stand on more or less on equal ground. I like to experience what it's like to live in a society like this, where the traditional and the modern are not in conflict but are instead treated as parts of a whole.

Besides, I'm also an Adeptus Mechanicus fan and being a Sebiestor is probably the closest to being one. Just get rid of the whole ommisiah thing and replace with spirits and totems and tattoos.
« Last Edit: 23 Sep 2015, 12:27 by Elmund Egivand »
Deep sea fish loves you forever

Kador Ouryon

• History's Greatest Meatshield
  • Wetgraver
« Reply #17 on: 23 Sep 2015, 18:42 »

Besides, I'm also an Adeptus Mechanicus fan and being a Sebiestor is probably the closest to being one. Just get rid of the whole ommisiah thing and replace with spirits and totems and tattoos.

Oh boy has their introduction to table top been a welcome relief from having to paint Iron Hands or Dark Mechanicus Iron Warriors space marines.....

Yetamo = Machine Spirit (Rynn's Might?)
"We ripped up the ending and the rules...and cast aside destiny...leaving nothing for us but an endless cycle of death and rebirth. Which is all well and good, except... Well, what if I've made the wrong choice? I have faith that it wasn't.....but how am I supposed to know? I'm getting ahead of myself. Let me tell you my story.Let me tell you everything."
- [name redacted] Truest Adamance

Nakito Kobara

« Reply #18 on: 24 Sep 2015, 03:57 »

I enjoy roleplay in Eve because it makes it feel more than just number crunching. It adds spice to wars and gives influence to paths taken in game. I'm not really much into chatting in OOC channels as I really don't want to know my enemies. Helps with my immersion.

Jev North

• Egger
« Reply #19 on: 24 Sep 2015, 04:53 »

Extended foreplay for ERP.
Pinocchio forces another handful of flesh into his tiny wooden mouth. "You are what you eat," he sobs. "You are what you eat."

kalaratiri

• Kalalalaakiota
  • The Mods
  • Demigod
  • Shes mad but shes magic, theres no lie in her fire
« Reply #20 on: 24 Sep 2015, 11:32 »

Short answer is: I don't. At least, not any more.

Long answer: I needed a reason to keep playing Eve, and adding a story function to my gameplay was the way to do it at the time. I greatly enjoyed RP for the first two years I was involved in it, but a two year break followed by a lot of my old friends quitting the game meant that I never really got back into it on my return last year. Instead I focused on actually enjoying playing the game rather than once again getting caught up in the petty dramas and conflicts inherent in the RP community, (guess how well that went?).

"Eve roleplayers scare me." - The Mittani

Pieter Tuulinen

• Tacklebitch
  • Pod Captain
« Reply #21 on: 24 Sep 2015, 13:14 »

I'm finding myself a little burned out on Eve, lately. The problem is that I LOVE games, made them my profession for fifteen years, and Eve is a very difficult game to dip in and out of.

I generally use forum RP to cover my lengthy periods of absence from the game itself. That and Training skills are probably the only reason I'm still subscribed. The only reason I still bother with the game are the awesome folks at PYRE.

youcancallmesir

• Gutta cavat lapidem non vi sed saepe cadendo.
  • Clonejack
  • I'm not afraid of you. Let's do this.
    • Talking in Local
« Reply #22 on: 24 Sep 2015, 23:49 »

Eve is the first MMO I've ever really played. And while I've been playing video games since the day my dad brought home this new thing called a Nintendo way back in 1985, I've always preferred the depth offered by tabletop gaming. The building of worlds and characters without restriction has always appealed to me.

When a friend introduced me to Eve, I immediately had a concept in mind of the kind of person I would want to be in this seemingly limitless world. So I created Quattras with that concept in mind. I took my in-game decisions seriously, reading the flavor text of every mission and item, weighing my allegiances and actions accordingly. It wasn't until a few months into the game that I discovered that there was actually a community of people who did the same thing.

Now, I RP more for the chance to toy around with concepts within the framework of who and what Quattras is. Sometimes he's a good guy who does bad things. Sometimes he's a bad guy who does good things. Sometimes he seems to have a mind all his own, though, and that's when things get really interesting.
Dr. Quattras Peione
No, I'm not THAT kind of doctor

Arnulf Ogunkoya

• Moral Compass (apparently)
  • Pod Captain
    • Livejournal profile
« Reply #23 on: 26 Sep 2015, 08:50 »

My introduction to roleplaying was through tabletop gaming. My first proper campaign game was a RuneQuest second edition Gloranthan game (hero wars era). EVE was my introduction to MMO's so there was no real question of me not roleplaying.

I do it for various reasons. To try and put myself inside the head of someone who isn't (I enjoy the mental exercise of doing that). There is also a health dose of plain escapism and aggression release involved with some characters.

Arnulf is, to an extent, the person I would like to be. He's richer, more studious, more focussed and in better physical condition. He has some, to me, odd ideas about collective responsibility that he has picked up from his culture. However, like me, he tries to be open-minded and makes the attempt to understand other views of the universe.
Kind Regards,
Arnulf Ogunkoya.

Aria Jenneth

• Veteran
« Reply #24 on: 29 Sep 2015, 21:57 »

Various reasons.

Like many things I do, it's partly escapism. Reality can be a tough pill to swallow, and I lost my idealistic fire about the time I (1) fell in love and (2) realized that I didn't have the will to try to depopulate the planet.

I bet a lot of you think I'm joking about that last. No. Really. Falling in love does a lot to get a fellow to stop wishing death on his own species. It does not, however, eliminate the problems that species causes or that same fellow's awareness of those problems, hence the escapism.

Partly, it's an exploration of my own limits-- though after nearly three decades, I consider those limits pretty well explored, so I don't really, consciously play "evil" characters anymore. Basic sketch of results: I'm capable of immense impersonal destruction, but seem to have real trouble with knowingly being a jerk, even if it's in character.

Partly, it's to play around with ideas. Aria's always been a little bit of a philosophical cat's paw, a way of exploring principles and ideas that I'm not quite ready to commit to, personally, often including dark corners I'd never seriously consider wandering around myself.

Aria kills people. I just defend them in courts of law. We may have similar philosophical bases for why, though.

Havohej

• Friendly Neighborhood Forum Admin
  • Veteran
  • Ex-convict
    • EWF Digital Consulting
« Reply #25 on: 29 Sep 2015, 22:16 »

I could not have said it better than Aria just did.

It's actually been kinda fun watching current Aria; I don't really know all what's going on with that, but the difference between NeoAria and the Aria that Havo used to talk with is pretty big.

Havo's obviously always been an extension for my darkest, most nihilistic, pessimistic, cynical, violent and all manner of other negative thoughts/emotions/opinions/viewpoints.  He's the outlet that helps me not burn down buildings and overturn cars and do other stupid shit.

Now that most of my focus is on Charlinda, I've been exploring the worldview and mindset of a person who grew up in an environment in which a Havohej is King.  How does someone come up in that environment and not also be pretty fucked up?  IS she a little fucked up?  If so, to what extent?

So I guess, my answer to the OP is "At first, because :argh: needs an outlet.  Now, because it's something entirely new.  In both cases: Escapism."

Also a big fan of Samira; it's a shame I don't get to interact with that character much.

...maybe now that I've got a character who's an up-and-coming narcotrafficker?

Twitter
This is a forum on steroids tbh. The rate at which content worth reading is being generated could get you pregnant.

Ché Biko

• Space Buddho-Commu-Nihilist
  • Veteran
  • I'll face the stars or the abyss.
    • Biko's Backstage Character Thread
« Reply #26 on: 30 Oct 2015, 15:50 »

Exploring aspects of humanity, what-if's, and myself, and having fun doing so.
Also, it serves as an emotional safety valve. I can release some emotional tension through Ché...although through the years, Ché has become part of me so much that sometimes he actually is the cause of emotional tension, and I feel like I'm his safety valve, but vOv...the result is the same, I guess.
-OOChé
Pages: 1 [2]