Backstage - OOC Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

That Zegerth Kelja is the eccentric Sansha Underseer of True Slave Foundations?

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Dust 514 EvE fps closes its doors May 30th 2016  (Read 4144 times)

Kador Ouryon

• History's Greatest Meatshield
  • Wetgraver
Re: Dust 514 EvE fps closes its doors May 30th 2016
« Reply #15 on: 18 Feb 2016, 17:31 »

More or less that's exactly how it felt at ground zero. A lack of focus compounded by the changes in management (CCP Blam to CCP Wolfman and finally to CCP Rattati) saw Dust slowly change from something I thought was a little more suited to EVE despite the issues into a more run and gun casual game than tactical shooter.

I do hope with what CCP has learned from Dust that they form a clear idea of what kind of game they want to create and pursue that.

The thing I hope CCP keeps is the communications systems. The social aspect of Dust is probably the best thing about it. Toss that in with  market system (even if it only is limited to Dust related items) also would help.
« Last Edit: 18 Feb 2016, 17:38 by Kador Ouryon »
"We ripped up the ending and the rules...and cast aside destiny...leaving nothing for us but an endless cycle of death and rebirth. Which is all well and good, except... Well, what if I've made the wrong choice? I have faith that it wasn't.....but how am I supposed to know? I'm getting ahead of myself. Let me tell you my story.Let me tell you everything."
- [name redacted] Truest Adamance

Call Kryyval

• Clonejack
« Reply #16 on: 19 Feb 2016, 21:31 »

Whatever they do they have to make it 100% clear from devs on down to end user the sort of feel they are going for, or they will end up with dust's lack of focus.

Lack of Focus? In the beginning yes. It's reception was not well received since the "finished" product never had the companies buy in. The niche presented was too nichey.  The end game and all its flaws had development that cared, and I can only imagine what Rattatis initiative and frugality with Maria Sayans Midas touch would look like on the next gen, but instead of talking about the failures I ask what could be done now in order to create content in both games that will hopefully become commonplace with the pending game in the works.

Silas Vitalia

• Demigod
« Reply #17 on: 20 Feb 2016, 01:19 »

Whatever they do they have to make it 100% clear from devs on down to end user the sort of feel they are going for, or they will end up with dust's lack of focus.

Lack of Focus? In the beginning yes. It's reception was not well received since the "finished" product never had the companies buy in. The niche presented was too nichey.  The end game and all its flaws had development that cared, and I can only imagine what Rattatis initiative and frugality with Maria Sayans Midas touch would look like on the next gen, but instead of talking about the failures I ask what could be done now in order to create content in both games that will hopefully become commonplace with the pending game in the works.

I say none and don't bother with any 'integration' attempts, but my opinion counts for nill :P  Both games operate at significant differences in timing and duration of combat, there's a fundamental gameplay disconnect in the concept of marrying the two (in my eyes).

Only thing you might be able to do is have stations/citadels/whatever under timers showing up on dust servers as upcoming battles to join? I dunno.

Make it a standalone singleplayer story / pvp game with the proper scope and depth of the amazing setting.  Most of all it should feel 'alive' that you are inside the IP, interacting with that world. Gunfights in high sec stations, shootouts in markets on planet surfaces in lowsec.  Boarding actions on capital ships and battleships.  You've got a wonderful, busy, wide universe to play in, don't spend it only fighting over big open landscapes? 

But does this game want to be a squad, tactical shooter? A big open world vehicle mega battle? A run and gun infinite respawn pew pew fest? Beats me.

Kador Ouryon

• History's Greatest Meatshield
  • Wetgraver
« Reply #18 on: 22 Feb 2016, 18:55 »

Honestly I think EVE:FPS needs to be able to stand on its own before too many intense links between it and EVE form.  Links wise there are a few small minor ones that would alongside a more polished foundation do wonders for the game.

- Dust Player access to regions and systems of their choosing. More or less the capacity to travel to other systems of their choosing.
- Access to markets/regional markets. Even if we can only buy cloned soldier specific items I think being able to engage in PI or something similar would be a pretty cool economic link.
- Orbital Strikes are cool (admittedly not very necessary) features though I wish EVE players could do more like offer tactical scans, voice with us, as well as striking.
- Planetary Infrastructure. My understanding of this is rather limited to to my knowledge it's essentially  a passive resource farm. Introduce an attrition and sabotage mechanic and you'd be generating content for Dust while only cutting into profit margins in a very small way.

If PI infrastructure could also define what maps were available on planets as well as the planet defining the overall mood I think that would be a kick ass draw for players.
"We ripped up the ending and the rules...and cast aside destiny...leaving nothing for us but an endless cycle of death and rebirth. Which is all well and good, except... Well, what if I've made the wrong choice? I have faith that it wasn't.....but how am I supposed to know? I'm getting ahead of myself. Let me tell you my story.Let me tell you everything."
- [name redacted] Truest Adamance

Havohej

• Friendly Neighborhood Forum Admin
  • Veteran
  • Ex-convict
    • EWF Digital Consulting
« Reply #19 on: 22 Feb 2016, 21:19 »

If there were a large group of DUST mercs emigrating to Planetside 2 on PS4, I'd probably be interested in playing with them.  I had a lot of fun with DUST until the superjump patch.  That's when I hung up my Proto Minmatar scout boots and my Ishukone Nova Knives for good.

Twitter
This is a forum on steroids tbh. The rate at which content worth reading is being generated could get you pregnant.

Call Kryyval

• Clonejack
« Reply #20 on: 23 Feb 2016, 18:41 »

With all  hearing a long scale Singularity style test (but with a somewhat realistic eve market) to make both work  would be in order it would take years of tinkering and ample time for vets to adapt to any changes.
Pages: 1 [2]